Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Vintagers/PGCA Meeting Question
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Vintagers/PGCA Meeting Question

I'm not wanting to be a downer, but I have to ask...

Why are the Vintagers and the PGCA meeting held during hunting season? I would love to be back there looking at doubles - you can't really ever do that out here. Shooting clays, and meeting folks from this BBS and the PGCA sounds like great fun. However, I was grouse hunting here in Oregon this weekend and that is generally more fun. As in years past, I have out-of-town hunting trips coming up which make flying to Maryland utterly impossible at the end of September. I'd go to the Vintagers in a minute if it were an off-season event, it looks really awesome. Why not hold it in the summer? Does this keep anyone else from going? Is this how all the good Parkers stay in the East? I suppose the Southern SxS is during turkey season...

Wish I could get there some day, thanks for all the pics and info about the event. Looks nice.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,077 Times in 12,614 Posts

There are no easy answers regarding where and when to hold the PGCA Annual Meeting and Banquet and I'm certain the BOD struggles with this and other issues each year, such as what venue will afford the greatest draw for our membership. I think we'd see a lot fewer members if the Meeting & Banquet were held in conjunction with the 'wrong' venue or with none at all. So far, I think they've done a great job (and what they do is one hell of a lot of work) and they get the most "bang for the buck" for the PGCA in their decisions so far. Of course, I'm one of the lucky ones as there are no hunting seasons I'd rather be at in late September. Unfortunately they can't please everybody all of the time but they do get the best turnout the way they have done it these years I've attended when it has been held in conjunction with the Vintager's at Pintail Point. JMHO, Dean
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,240 Times in 4,924 Posts

The Vintage Cup event is attended by some of the most serious hunters I know. I'm referring to guys who spend in high five figures, maybe six figures, on hunting every year. Somehow, they feel that the Vintagers is an important gun collecting event that they would prefer not to miss. Obviously, even six figure hunters don't hunt every weekend from August to March. Actually, you could have caught the morning and evening flight of early season Canadas at Pintail Point and still reported for duty at the PGCA tent between the two flights.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hope my post was interpreted as a complaint. Just a thought, I recognize how much work and planning goes into these things.
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,077 Times in 12,614 Posts

Dave, rest assured, your comments were taken in the spirit they were given, nothing more - I think the BOD relies on such comments to help them in their decision making.
Dean
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dave, you may want to reread your last post. I like to hunt also, and some other important gun activities are scheduled during the season. We have to decide which we want to attend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Bill... I can't seem to spit it out right on this one. Someday I'll make it to the meeting, it sounds really great.
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,154 Times in 2,446 Posts

The Vintage Cup has always been held near the end of September, that is Ray's weekend. The PGCA annual meeting has moved around, I know I attended three summertime meetings in conjunction with OGCA shows in Cleveland, Ohio, July 21-22, 2001; Wilmington, Ohio, July 20-21, 2002; and July 19-20, 2003, again at Wilmington. In 2006 the PGCA annual meeteing was held in conjuction with the Louisville gun show the same weekend as The Vintage Cup, leaving Kevin and I rather lonely manning the PGCA booth at Sandanona!! I think the board has done a pretty darn good job of moving it around and getting the most PGCA bang for our buck.
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,269 Times in 1,207 Posts

Bill is right, you've just gotta pick what you want to do. I went last year and managed to turn it into a hunting weekend besides going to the meeting and Vintagers. This year I was in Quebec for the ducks instead.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

AND, three of Destry's Quebec gunning companions somehow managed to attend the Vintagers and still make the Quebec trip. No conflict there.