Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

10 Gauge chambers and barrels
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Default 10 Gauge chambers and barrels

To begin with, I have been looking for a ten gauge to add to my collection. In my search I have seen 10 ga chambers in various lengths - 2 5/8”, 2 3/4', 2 7/8", 3", and 3 1/2".

I'm sure Parker would suit whatever chamber lengths the customer would desire. What were the standard lengths? When is there a transition when Parker manufactured longer 10 ga. chamber lengths from early to later years?

Where chambers lengths made only for brass shells?

For 12 ga. the chamber length is 1/8" shorter than the shot shell (2 5/8" for a 2 3/4" shell). Is this true for 10?

For an early Parker made prior to 1900 and the chambers are 3 1/2", is this a good possibility they have been lengthened later in the gun's life?

We have in the FAQ section barrel wall thickness for 12's. This is .025 minimum. What is it for 10's?

Thanks,

Frank
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Chamber Lengths
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Chamber Lengths

Frank; The 1899 Parker Catalog, and others, offer chamber lengths at the buyers specification at no additional cost. At the same time, Winchester and UMC offered paper cases at the length specified by the customer. There is no "standard" for the time.
The best information for the era indicates that long cases and chambers were used to accomodate longer wads. Long chambers were not made to accomodate predecessors of Super X loads.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote