Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

the chase
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default the chase

took my grand daughters jack russel out for a little hunt this morning it was foggyas all git out...could not see the top of the trees to good... thought i could sneak off with out the old blue tick hound but that old rascal just seems to know when i step out the back door with a gun... i carried the 22 remy this morning old blue treed a squirl first as i was looking for him i thought i seen him so i took a shot it wasnot a squirl.... but the gun jammed what a....... felt in my pocket for my knife but guess what old charlie had been in such a hurry hed forgotten it....well back to the house for the knife...got going again wasnot long ole blue treed again....i seen the squirl he was on the run emptied the 22 auto at him...that squirl climbed to the top of a limb and stopped...here i am squirl stopped and no shells in gun... i pulled the magazine tube out and started loading again always keeping my out for the squirl...got the gun loaded in record time guess what that squirl had disappeared... this is happening to me a lot here lately. ha daisey the little jack russel treed a few times on this squirl.... so off we went to find another target old blue treed again not far from where we had been but fellows it was in a briar patch a rabbit would not have gone in...dont like to leave a dog trreed but hey....so off me and dasisy go wasnot long i see her pick up interest in soimething...was not but a secound she had 2 squirls up a tree she was close so i just let her tree for a few minutes... as i walked up to that tree one of them squirls started runing i started shooting at the running squirl....i missed the chase was on usally a squirl dont run to far but this squirl did not know this....what a chase the squirl gave dasisy...she was running and barking at that squirl for about 300 yards....finally the squirl went up a big tree and stayed the little jack russel was barking every breath that chase had really got her wound up....as we weremoving around looking for the squirl it srarted running again....i fired 4 times all misses..there we was dasisy barking for all she worth me out of bullets and out of breath all i could do was tell MR FUZZY TAIL what a run he had give us.. i called dasiey and gave her some well deserved petting looked back at the tree told mr squirl id see him later.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

I think I'd carry a shotgun next time. Good for the dog though, sounds like she's coming along.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I think I would check the sights on the .22. Could be you were shooting just fine had the gun been looking where you were. Still sounds like a great hunt though. Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

sights are ok just my old eyes should have worn my specs...your rite destrey i should carry the old shotgun would have been 3 in the bag instead of zip....yep the little dog is coming along fine...may take her again tommorrow if the oldbody will let me.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

That is some dog. Charlie!!!

I myself as a kid had a Shetland sheep dog in Georgia she would chase armidillos and coons and squriels too. Her and I had day after day of good fun hunting in the swamp. Lady was her name and getting critters for her friend was her game. I sure miss my little dog but boy was she fast out there. I once took her to the neighbors cattle pasture her first time out around cattle and it was her instinct to herd them together and keep them at bay. Sure shocked my neighbors after that they would invite us to help move cattle cause Lady was so good at helping. When a dog has it the dog has it. Some just don't got it. If that jack russel has it keep it going and take it out as much as possible Charlie.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Charlie: You probably did more for your dog by missing than you would had you hit them all quickly. This way she got really fired up and into the chase and I bet can hardly wait for the next go around. You're going to find that dog sitting by your bed at 0400, staring at you and saying "C'mon you lazy oaf! You going to sleep all day?! There's tree rats out there to chase! I've already loaded the gun for you...Let's GO!"
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote