Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-28-2024, 03:36 PM   #51
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,102 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Harry and I agree that the vendor price is outrageous. The Vintagers should buy bigger tents and charge less for a booth. That is how to get people who honestly have things to sell to come and exhibit. The "Widow Lady" may bring her late husband's Parkers to the Vintage Cup if she didn't have to pay $500 for a couple of tables. I know The Lovely Linda won't come to the Vintagers with my Parkers and Foxes if she has to pay a fortune for a couple of tables.
Bill, no charge to sell anything at the Rock Mountain event. Just sayin’. Linda can bring your “stuff” here. I’m sure she can get what you told her you paid for them.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-28-2024, 04:45 PM   #52
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
I think the days of attracting vendors to outdoor gun exhibits are behind us, three reasons, travel expense, vintage gun auctions and the internet marketplace. The main reason to attend in present times is to shoot and visit with friends. However, if Guyette and Deeter scheduled a gun auction on the same weekend as a Vintagers event at Pintail that would be a big success in my opinion. Dealers could set-up in the auction parking lot or tables sold at the auction facility. This is the formula G&D has used for their decoy auctions for years.
IF What you are saying is thru, The Southern would be ''No More''. Most of the guys I know go their for the Vendors First, than the Shooting. Take away half the vendors, and attendance would Drop Sharply. Look what happened at the North East!

Harry

P.S. The Guys at the Southern Also Buy from the Vendors.
Harry Gietler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2024, 05:23 PM   #53
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,931 Times in 4,785 Posts

I disagree with Craig on about all points he makes. Sorry, Craig, but running two major check writing events several miles apart on the same day or weekend makes no sense at all. I have been at G&D auctions in Maryland for decades and no parking lot swap meet has ever been held while the auction is in progress. Maybe somewhere else, but not in Maryland. I am editing this post to say that my comments refer to parking lot events and did not mention the tables set up inside the building in the side room at G&D auctions. However, there is no parking lot event during the auction. Sorry for not fully explaining my post, Craig.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2024, 06:06 PM   #54
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,578 Times in 1,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I disagree with Craig on about all points he makes. Sorry, Craig, but running two major check writing events several miles apart on the same day or weekend makes no sense at all. I have been at G&D auctions in Maryland for decades and no parking lot swap meet has ever been held while the auction is in progress. Maybe somewhere else, but not in Maryland.
They always have tables for dealers that are open for business during the auction.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2024, 06:42 PM   #55
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,102 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gietler View Post
IF What you are saying is thru, The Southern would be ''No More''. Most of the guys I know go their for the Vendors First, than the Shooting. Take away half the vendors, and attendance would Drop Sharply. Look what happened at the North East!

Harry

P.S. The Guys at the Southern Also Buy from the Vendors.
Well over 90% of the guys I know go to the Southern to shoot. Shopping is secondary. If they do look through the tents it’s for a very specific item or they look in the parking lots for good deals that walk-ins bring to sell.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-28-2024, 07:04 PM   #56
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Well over 90% of the guys I know go to the Southern to shoot. Shopping is secondary. If they do look through the tents it’s for a very specific item or they look in the parking lots for good deals that walk-ins bring to sell.
Well you said it right their, 90% of the guys you know ''IF THEY LOOK'' thru the tents, ''IF''. That is the reason to go West Ward, most of the guys you know are most likely from the Far North East, AND DON'T BUY and don't even go into the Tents or Pavilions.

Harry
Unread 02-28-2024, 08:02 PM   #57
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,644 Times in 3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gietler View Post
Well you said it right their, 90% of the guys you know ''IF THEY LOOK'' thru the tents, ''IF''. That is the reason to go West Ward, most of the guys you know are most likely from the Far North East, AND DON'T BUY and don't even go into the Tents or Pavilions.

Harry
Uh no , he knows a good many from down south and the Midwest . Look it’s no secret you go to these things to sell and make money . So if you’re unhappy with table pricing take it up with the places you wanna go . Correct me if I’m wrong but Mike allows anyone to display and or sell at his place at no cost .
Unread 02-28-2024, 08:05 PM   #58
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Unfortunately the shooting at the Southern is not that good if you are not participating in the Challenge Cup. The course at Deep River is always crowded and the targets never seem to change. Wait times at the stations can be excessive. Lots of guys shoot nearby courses Thursday and Friday rather than suffer through the waits and crowd at Deep River. Hopkins will have better shooting and Rock Mountain has some of the coolest targets I’ve ever shot. I look forward to Hopkins this Fall and Rock Mountain this summer. Management at Hopkins knows how to put on a shoot. The folks at the Vintagers last year didn’t have a clue. As far as vendors go, the Southern has the best venue by far. I hope Hopkins will be well attended by both shooters and vendors.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 02-29-2024, 12:56 PM   #59
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Uh no , he knows a good many from down south and the Midwest . Look it’s no secret you go to these things to sell and make money . So if you’re unhappy with table pricing take it up with the places you wanna go . Correct me if I’m wrong but Mike allows anyone to display and or sell at his place at no cost .
I am glad you pointed this out. First let Me say this tread is not about
Mikes ''Rock Mountain''. IT is about the Vintage Cup. Mike's place is Top Notch.
With that being said, I Hope the Vintage Cup See's the light, and Doesn't Keep
making the same mistakes over & over and ''EXPECT'' Different Results.

Harry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post:
Unread 02-29-2024, 11:04 PM   #60
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

I first shot my first VGC and discovered SxS events when it was held at Pintail Point. In my opinion, it’s been downhill since. I missed the VGC this past September, and it doesn’t sound like I missed much. I won’t go back to Hopkins. The one time I attended there, it came across as an overpriced day of clay shooting at a very unremarkable venue with few vendors and bad food. Going forward, I will attend only the Southern. It has long been and continues to be an outstanding event celebrating its 25 year. I’ll save the fall for hunting.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post: