Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-28-2024, 09:53 AM   #41
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,931 Times in 4,785 Posts

The Vintage Cup at Hopkins a couple of years ago may have been good for the shooters, but the show of vendors was less than any in the past. I don't know what can be done about that except to lower the table fees. The PGCA meeting was at the Hopkins Vintage Cup and they don't even have that in 2024. The website has a vendor list that probably includes vendors who have not made their plans yet. The list is probably from previous years.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2024, 10:49 AM   #42
Dr Bob
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill is right about the Vendor list. The Lefever Arms Collectors Association is listed. We have not yet committed to the new venue. We are waiting to see what the response is and how many plan to show up.
Bob Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Bob Decker's homepage!
Unread 02-28-2024, 10:52 AM   #43
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,364 Times in 4,429 Posts

I enjoyed the year we had the PGCA annual meeting at Hopkins. To me, the best thing is seeing folks in person and getting to visit
Unread 02-28-2024, 11:24 AM   #44
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
The Vintage Cup at Hopkins a couple of years ago may have been good for the shooters, but the show of vendors was less than any in the past. I don't know what can be done about that except to lower the table fees. The PGCA meeting was at the Hopkins Vintage Cup and they don't even have that in 2024. The website has a vendor list that probably includes vendors who have not made their plans yet. The list is probably from previous years.
The price of tables for Vendors is ''Outrageous'' High, and Most Spectators
and Shooters '' Don't Buy'' unless they can ''Steal'' the Item. Most of them have
more guns than they Need, and are not going to buy. What you need is some
NEW Blood and that is the Reason these Shoots should be Held at new places in the states like Ohio, a lot more people will come from Mid Western States. It's a Centrally located State and would draw 2-3 times the people, maybe More.

Harry
Harry Gietler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2024, 12:34 PM   #45
Dr Bob
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harry is right in that there should be some reach out to an accessible mid-west/east of the Mississippi with a multi-day event like the Southern or Northeast (Haussman's). You need more than one day to attract vendors who hope to sell something or collectors associatios with a display or manufacturers competition. The far Upper Peninsula shoots are too far away to justify traveling for a 1 day expo.
Bob Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Decker For Your Post:
Visit Bob Decker's homepage!
Unread 02-28-2024, 01:35 PM   #46
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,101 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gietler View Post
The price of tables for Vendors is ''Outrageous'' High, and Most Spectators
and Shooters '' Don't Buy'' unless they can ''Steal'' the Item. Most of them have
more guns than they Need, and are not going to buy. What you need is some
NEW Blood and that is the Reason these Shoots should be Held at new places in the states like Ohio, a lot more people will come from Mid Western States. It's a Centrally located State and would draw 2-3 times the people, maybe More.

Harry
Sorry Harry, I'm not buying it. "New Blood" isn't going to pay $10K for a double gun. Any new blood that would attend would be looking to spend less on guns than "regulars" seen at the current multi-day shoots. Most of the "shoppers" would pretty much be curious as to what any vendors may have for sale and when they see most of the price tags they won't be back. You'll still have the usual cast of shooters that are into competition, but guys that are not serious competitors and have to travel quite a ways will pass.

I know Terry Reckart of LCSCA "fame" is putting together a two day shoot in OH this year. I can't comment on whether he's planning on vendors or if it's a shooting event only. I think he's in August?
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 02-28-2024, 01:54 PM   #47
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,379 Times in 12,413 Posts

I would definitely travel to Ohio for a 3-day event.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2024, 02:46 PM   #48
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Sorry Harry, I'm not buying it. "New Blood" isn't going to pay $10K for a double gun. Any new blood that would attend would be looking to spend less on guns than "regulars" seen at the current multi-day shoots. Most of the "shoppers" would pretty much be curious as to what any vendors may have for sale and when they see most of the price tags they won't be back. You'll still have the usual cast of shooters that are into competition, but guys that are not serious competitors and have to travel quite a ways will pass.

I know Terry Reckart of LCSCA "fame" is putting together a two day shoot in OH this year. I can't comment on whether he's planning on vendors or if it's a shooting event only. I think he's in August?
There are only 2 guys that ''I'' know that can afford $10,000 for a gun.
Andy & Murphy. Murphy won't buy because He already has two many
guns, and Andy won't buy because He is too''Cheap''. You need the guns
in the $800 to $2500 - $4500 Range. Than you might sell, but they have
to be new guys you haven't dealt with before! Hence fort You Need
CENTRAL LOCATIONS to DRAW these people. When Vendors hear ''New Guys
With Money TO Spend, They would Flock their, when guys hear a load of New
Vendors, they would ''Come'' Just remember the Saying
''Build It , and They WILL COME.

Harry
Harry Gietler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2024, 03:11 PM   #49
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,931 Times in 4,785 Posts

Harry and I agree that the vendor price is outrageous. The Vintagers should buy bigger tents and charge less for a booth. That is how to get people who honestly have things to sell to come and exhibit. The "Widow Lady" may bring her late husband's Parkers to the Vintage Cup if she didn't have to pay $500 for a couple of tables. I know The Lovely Linda won't come to the Vintagers with my Parkers and Foxes if she has to pay a fortune for a couple of tables.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2024, 03:33 PM   #50
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,577 Times in 1,673 Posts

I think the days of attracting vendors to outdoor gun exhibits are behind us, three reasons, travel expense, vintage gun auctions and the internet marketplace. The main reason to attend in present times is to shoot and visit with friends. However, if Guyette and Deeter scheduled a gun auction on the same weekend as a Vintagers event at Pintail that would be a big success in my opinion. Dealers could set-up in the auction parking lot or tables sold at the auction facility. This is the formula G&D has used for their decoy auctions for years.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post: