Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 01-16-2023, 04:40 PM   #21
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
The problem with those conversions are while the breech is big enough to be bored out for the 8 ga cartridges, the barrels dont have the wall thickness to bored to true .835". So you have to get a bit creative they are bored to around .815" give or take. Even then they still seem to have problems with bulging. I think youd want a 10 gauge with a minimal wall thickness of .100" so when you bore it out to 8 ga youd have the .040 MWT which is what i see on alot of 8 and 10 ga doubles.

Seems like you could use one of those magnum 10 gauges and have a set of 8 ga barrels made for it of course that would set you back about 10k. I knew a gunsmith who used to bore out the H&R single shot 10 gauges to 8 ga, he proofed tested them to 21k psi. He stopped doing it though because who wants to spend $600 on reboring a barrel on what was then a $200 gun.
You’re kinda missing the point . Sure you can do all your suggesting and have a usable gun , but most people me included wouldn’t go to the trouble or expense . This is more about using something that was made in the 1880’s to early 1900’s because you already have it and load for it . And want to say you tried it for X Y and or Z .
Unread 01-16-2023, 05:09 PM   #22
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
You’re kinda missing the point . Sure you can do all your suggesting and have a usable gun , but most people me included wouldn’t go to the trouble or expense . This is more about using something that was made in the 1880’s to early 1900’s because you already have it and load for it . And want to say you tried it for X Y and or Z .
I mean purely from a stand point of the converted guns.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #23
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

A few years ago, Minnesota DNR decided that shotguns larger than 10 gauge were not authorized for hunting turkey. I wonder how many 8s there are in the entire state. Tom Armbrust made a bunch of 1-1/2 ounce loads for me a few years back when I intended on using my 8 for turkeys. Tom's loads, at 1200 FPS, are tame compared to all the HEAVY 12 and 10 gauge loads, specifically made for turkey and waterfowl. I wonder how many people in our DNR have even SEEN a real 8 bore shotgun, let alone firing one. Someone on our gubmint payroll had too much time on his/her hands!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Landskov For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2023, 03:40 PM   #24
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

Rather than doing relevant research, they go back to 100 plus year old rules for market hunters and that’s that. Slackers all of them. Imho
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2023, 04:02 PM   #25
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,175 Times in 12,362 Posts

They are ignorant about such matters and don't represent their constituents one bit in their irresponsible knee-jerk actions or reactions.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2023, 08:05 PM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Landskov View Post
A few years ago, Minnesota DNR decided that shotguns larger than 10 gauge were not authorized for hunting turkey. I wonder how many 8s there are in the entire state. Tom Armbrust made a bunch of 1-1/2 ounce loads for me a few years back when I intended on using my 8 for turkeys. Tom's loads, at 1200 FPS, are tame compared to all the HEAVY 12 and 10 gauge loads, specifically made for turkey and waterfowl. I wonder how many people in our DNR have even SEEN a real 8 bore shotgun, let alone firing one. Someone on our gubmint payroll had too much time on his/her hands!
I honestly think 8’s down to 410’s the only loads I shoot that are even remotely stout are the factory flyer loads , factory 3” 12/20 and factory 10 3 1/2” . And no I shoot no great amount of any of them . Perhaps 200 flyer loads in a year . The others maybe 20 total between the three in a year .