Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-31-2022, 05:08 PM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Now let’s cut to the chase . If you’re in any state hunting Turkey deer squirrels rabbits or even flying birds as long as not Federally regulated . How many state game wardens do you think are going to ask you if your gun is larger than a 10 gauge especially if it’s a double . Not that I’ve ever heard of an 8 in any thing other than a double or single . So carry a couple 10 gauge handloads to show the bunny warden if you get checked and more than likely they’d never be the wiser . Just saying by no means do I advocate this deception
Unread 12-31-2022, 05:19 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Same thing in PA, nothing larger than 10g permitted. The logic behind it is flawed in that if you can load a 10g 3" or 3 1/2" shell with the same payload as a 3 1/4" 8 bore, what makes the 8 bore too much? I don't bash the PGC, I just disagree with some of the antiquated laws and regulations.
Actually the 10 gauge 3 1/2” factory loads I have are of a heavier payload than my heavy 8 gauge loads . Well almost all the 8 gauge slugs I cast are maybe an 1/8 of an ounce beaver put as to my shot loads heaviest I go in the 8 is 1 3/4 ounces . I would also say my preferred 8 ga buck load of ten 000000 buck is a bit less then the eighteen 00 in the 10 3 1/2” factory load .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10DA54BB-3486-4397-9B8F-A7457468C999.jpg (504.9 KB, 0 views)
Unread 12-31-2022, 09:04 PM   #13
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Let’s just say the feds and state agencies across America say they’re going to restore our rights and allow the 8 bore for any lawful hunting purpose. How many orange hats will run out and buy a vintage 8 bore to use in the marsh or hump around the uplands? Few will spend that cash. Same for gun-makers. How many will tool up and lake 8 bore guns? Few if any. Maybe some bespoke makers, but that wouldn’t even be a blip on the radar. Changing the law would not have a negative impact on the resource.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 12-31-2022, 10:39 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Let’s just say the feds and state agencies across America say they’re going to restore our rights and allow the 8 bore for any lawful hunting purpose. How many orange hats will run out and buy a vintage 8 bore to use in the marsh or hump around the uplands? Few will spend that cash. Same for gun-makers. How many will tool up and lake 8 bore guns? Few if any. Maybe some bespoke makers, but that wouldn’t even be a blip on the radar. Changing the law would not have a negative impact on the resource.
If I were a “traditional” duck hunter slogging thru the marsh or flooded timber etc , I’d have a difficult time talking myself into carrying one of the big bruisers and to be honest I’d most likely frown on carrying my heavier 10’s . To me the whole 8 thing is being able to honestly say I’ve done this that or the other using one .
Unread 01-01-2023, 06:34 AM   #15
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,429 Times in 1,647 Posts

It would be a great experience shooting some high flying snows during the conservation season with a 8ga. But getting bureaucrats to do anything is near impossible especially at the federal level. But I still get much joy owning, shooting clays and loading shells for the big 8's. I have shot ducks over decoys with a 6 frame 36" 10ga PH and Grade 3 TLH 10ga 36", they are just too big a gun for ducks over decoys in a marsh.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 01-01-2023, 03:21 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

thanks mike I thought the grant 8 ga had to be a Spanish ten bored out to 8 ga....I really liked the price and the gun....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2023, 05:43 PM   #17
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I’ve killed a turkey and numerous clays with my 8. Pretty sure clays are fair game anywhere. I’ve hunted deer with mine and that day will come I hope
Unread 01-01-2023, 07:56 PM   #18
WHO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,519 Times in 252 Posts

Arizona had the " no larger than 10 gauge" wording in their regulations until our own Phil Carr met with the Game and Fish and talked them into changing the wording. In 2015 you could hunt with the 8 gauge excluding waterfowl and migratory birds. I have been using one ever since for turkey. Thanks Phil!
Wayne Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wayne Owens For Your Post:
Unread 01-16-2023, 04:08 PM   #19
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

The problem with those conversions are while the breech is big enough to be bored out for the 8 ga cartridges, the barrels dont have the wall thickness to bored to true .835". So you have to get a bit creative they are bored to around .815" give or take. Even then they still seem to have problems with bulging. I think youd want a 10 gauge with a minimal wall thickness of .100" so when you bore it out to 8 ga youd have the .040 MWT which is what i see on alot of 8 and 10 ga doubles.

Seems like you could use one of those magnum 10 gauges and have a set of 8 ga barrels made for it of course that would set you back about 10k. I knew a gunsmith who used to bore out the H&R single shot 10 gauges to 8 ga, he proofed tested them to 21k psi. He stopped doing it though because who wants to spend $600 on reboring a barrel on what was then a $200 gun.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2023, 04:28 PM   #20
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,429 Times in 1,647 Posts

civil disobedience, do you really think a game officer or judge is going to put you in hand cuffs if your shooting bismuth and not exceeding the limits with a 8 gauge. I have been checked once in 50 plus years of waterfowl hunting, when I pulled a SxS out of my gun case the officer said put it away. They were most concerned about autos and pumps with no plug. Just say'n.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post: