Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Interesting 10 Gauge
Unread 01-18-2023, 12:27 AM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,037 Times in 405 Posts

Default Interesting 10 Gauge

I posted a thread on another board about this gun but thought I would get comments from the many 10 gauge shooters here. This is my version of Pig in a Poke (as we say in KY). The auction pictures below were not great but given the fact that no one else bid and the description didn't list any major faults, I was intrigued enough to pay a few hundred for it. Also, it is a single to which I am partial.

My observations from the listing were:

Has some serious age on it.
Gun looks pretty substantial.
Barrel is listed as 35".
Listed as a 10 gauge.
Listed as a "French Made Single" but is marked "Galand Paris" which is a maker that made some really nice guns. The title is one which isn't going to draw a lot of interest. I believe they were Belgian but had offices in Paris and England.
The picture shows a heavy rear sight but no front rifle type sight.

One of the only single Galand's I found on the internet was in a museum and was a 10 gauge bore rifle.

I was in the hospital for 5 days starting a new medicine but got out Sunday afternoon and received the gun today. I was really surprised. It will be a few days until I can take some new pics, but in sum the gun is way more than I expected.

The only real faults I havefound are that the nose cap has been knocked off (need to make a new ebony one), there is a little sliver off the edge of the fore end, likely lost with the nose, and the fore end checkering needs to be recut due to wear. A few wood dents need to be raised. Other than that it is in great shape and looks much better than the pictures.

It is obviously a single waterfowl gun. The barrel is 35" part octagon/part round. The bore is .774 from end to end, so I believe it to be original. It does look like it hasn't been cleaned in known memory. There is a large amount of roughness but looks like there are no pits . If there, they are very small. It looks like simple honing and polish of a few thousandths would completely clean it up. Choke is .040. Function is perfect. Locks up wth absolutely no play and good fit on face. A .002 feeler will go in between the breech and face for a total of about 1/8" around the top edges, so there is a slight bevel around the edge, but it won't start to close into battery with a .001 shim against the face.
The stock dimensions are surprising with 1-1/2" DAC, 2" DAH and 13-1/2" LOP. Chamber measures 3-1/8"with a tight Brownell's gauge so I assume it is 2-7/8" with a long FC.

The octagon breech is 12" long. The chamber walls on the flats are over 1/4"; much thicker near the "Points". Forcing cone area is 0.2". Barrels are .15+ at the end of the fore arm and .125 behind the choke. Altogether the most robust and thickest 10 I own.

The barrel is interesting from a construction standpoint. The round front section is 1" at the muzzle. The rear octagon section is 1-1/8" across the flats at the chamber and tapered slightly to 12" forward where it tapers down to blend into the round front. What I find unique is that the round front is a fine twist pattern but the octagon section is made of a bolder laminate pattern. It is obvious when looking at the tapered transition that a fine gauged twist was over laid at the rear part by a laminated layer with all of it forge welded into one blank.

The barrel weighs 3# 10 oz or so. Total gun is 9 # exactly. The back action lock has a rebounding hammer. The gun is a functional match to my 8 ga WC Scott & sons Light Waterfowl single which has a 32" barrel and weighs 10 # exactly. Overall build quality is high with the general impression of being a high quality and very solid gun.

This gun has a barrel of similar size and thickness to the Scott and is legal for hunting. Given the barrel thickness and condition I think this would hammer about anything in the flyways with bismuth loads. This with a gun 150 years old. I have 4 or 5 old Parker Damascus, Laminated and Twist 10's I shoot often and the construction of this guns barrel is far heavier than any of them. I will take some better pictures in a couple of days, and as soon as I can give it a deep cleaning and inspection I planon trying some moderate loads in it.

My quest for singles has now filled the 8, 10, 12 and 16 gauge slots with a W. C. Scott and Sons, a Galand, a nice Birmingham hammer gun and a Manufrance (the only hammerless) in the same order as the gauges. Their age is around 1880. I am continuing to try and find the small bores at a not break the bank price.

As I have aged, I find it appealing to grab a light easy to handle simple gun to carry along for walks on the property.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,780 Times in 2,010 Posts

Interesting gun, great find. Hope you get well soon and get to shoot it.
Unread 01-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,560 Times in 3,071 Posts

I hope you enjoy many walks with those wonderful pieces of history.

(...and post some photos of those walks, please.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Interesting ! Look forward to seeing more pics of the gun . A pic of it and your 8 together would be Interesting as well I think .
Unread 01-18-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Just a thought but since you have Jones underlever singles in both 8 and 10 , have you given any thought to a Jones underlever 4 gauge single
Unread 01-18-2023, 12:55 PM   #6
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yep, but they generally show up mostly in England ( think the upcoming G&D auction may have a couple). Price on those is way up based to all the rest, and are from a practical standpoint a non-shooting item, so I doubt I would ever add one to the mix. I have seen some percussion ones I might think about to just have, but still not likely.

I am looking forward to blastin a few doves with this gun and maybe a whitetail with the 8 ga, which is cylinder bore and shoots bore size 2oz balls pretty accurately.
Unread 01-18-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
I am looking forward to blastin a few doves with this gun and maybe a whitetail with the 8 ga, which is cylinder bore and shoots bore size 2oz balls pretty accurately.
What’s the inside muzzle diameter of your gun ? As to 4 gauge side hammer guns I should have bought one at the Guyette & Deeter 2021 Easton decoy auction . They had a very serviceable one there that if memory serves sold for $1500 . It was before the Parker 8 they had so I was afraid to squander any of my meager allotment on the 4 as I wanted the Parker 8 first and foremost .
Unread 01-18-2023, 03:23 PM   #8
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

The barrel is .774 anand the choke is .040 so the muzzle ID is .734.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
The barrel is .774 anand the choke is .040 so the muzzle ID is .734.
I’ve got a .730” 730 grain hollow base mold that oughtta work in the gun .
Unread 01-18-2023, 07:49 PM   #10
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Nice 10 b.
Hope you are feeling better
I really like the Jones under lever
Jim
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote