Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 05-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #31
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Many times they make the best.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 05:14 PM   #32
CCefalu
PGCA Member

Member Info

Great stories and photos of our passed best friends.

Gus- I lost this handsome boy too soon at the age of 12.5 (cancer sucks).
Gus never meet a person or dog treat he didn't like. He was the easiest dog to train that I have ever had and he sure did love to hunt. Gus would have been the worlds worst trials dog. Not because he didn't hunt well, he hunted his way. I called it Gus time, he would pick up doubles and triples if the situation was right. But again he didn't his way, he didn't come back each time and re-mark the bird, he went out once and collected them from furthest to shortest stuffing each duck in his mount. He once brought back 3 drake mallards at one time. His nickname was "push harder" he never went around anything always through it even if it was a ball stuck under a sofa (which caused mayhem in the house at times). He loved life and all the adventures that came his way. It is still difficult to write or talk about him, but I'm guessing you all understand that as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gus.jpg (85.5 KB, 2 views)
Christopher Cefalu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Cefalu For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2022, 05:49 PM   #33
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Christopher, Gus sounds like a great dog, and that's a great photo of him. I think a retriever that picks 'em all up and brings them in is just right(!) I'm sure he'll be doing "Gus time" in your memory for years to come.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Ashes to ashes
Unread 07-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #34
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default Ashes to ashes

I’m getting on in years. No family within thousands of miles. Gets one to thinking. I cremated my bird dogs over the years and have four small urns that are kept in the gun room. Possibly a kid might want them but then what? Decided to give them a group send off. Years ago I received a couple guns that were packaged in 6” PVC pipe. I kept those pipes and have put them to different uses. I took about three feet from one and glued a cap on the end. Then each urn was placed inside with bubble wrap to protect from breakage. I had Charlie’s leash and collar so placed that on top. Then the other cap was glued on. The pipe is to be buried in pheasant country. Got to thinking their names should be on the pipe so gouged them out with a dremel. Didn’t stand out so I added paint. That worked. Then I got thinking maybe some pictures should be added so went through some old images and got collector card size prints made. A bit of glue and a wrap of Velcro tape held them in place until the glue dried. Added some pheasant pics and an old abandoned house where several roosters were turned into Sunday dinners. Got thinking the pics might come loose between now and burial or even in transport so got a sheet of shrink wrap plastic used for window insulation and covered the whole “coffin”. All set now. Three hunting buddies and I will dig the hole and place the “coffin” on a farm where wild pheasants are plentiful. We’ll share some tall tales and then adjourn to a nearby saloon. At a later date a boulder will be placed on top and a bronze plaque added. A fitting final farewell to four canines who made hunting a pleasure. Cheers Jack
Will try to add pics in a second post
Unread 07-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #35
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Unread 07-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #36
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
I’m getting on in years. No family within thousands of miles. Gets one to thinking. I cremated my bird dogs over the years and have four small urns that are kept in the gun room. Possibly a kid might want them but then what? Decided to give them a group send off. Years ago I received a couple guns that were packaged in 6” PVC pipe. I kept those pipes and have put them to different uses. I took about three feet from one and glued a cap on the end. Then each urn was placed inside with bubble wrap to protect from breakage. I had Charlie’s leash and collar so placed that on top. Then the other cap was glued on. The pipe is to be buried in pheasant country. Got to thinking their names should be on the pipe so gouged them out with a dremel. Didn’t stand out so I added paint. That worked. Then I got thinking maybe some pictures should be added so went through some old images and got collector card size prints made. A bit of glue and a wrap of Velcro tape held them in place until the glue dried. Added some pheasant pics and an old abandoned house where several roosters were turned into Sunday dinners. Got thinking the pics might come loose between now and burial or even in transport so got a sheet of shrink wrap plastic used for window insulation and covered the whole “coffin”. All set now. Three hunting buddies and I will dig the hole and place the “coffin” on a farm where wild pheasants are plentiful. We’ll share some tall tales and then adjourn to a nearby saloon. At a later date a boulder will be placed on top and a bronze plaque added. A fitting final farewell to four canines who made hunting a pleasure. Cheers Jack
Will try to add pics in a second post
May they all rest in birdy coverts awaiting our arrival.
Unread 07-08-2022, 09:59 PM   #37
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have eight canisters of ashes in my library. They will go to our farm when the time is right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2022, 08:46 PM   #38
Dylan Rhodes
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had this painting commissioned of a picture I took of my first two dogs. The dog on the right - Stryker - is about 3 years old in this picture and just recently passed at 15 years and a month. The dog on the left - Max - was 12 years old and no longer lifted his paw when he pointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89537207-B477-42CA-A7B8-3DD650B72350.jpg (365.3 KB, 14 views)
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post: