Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

3 dram loads in #1 frame
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Andrew Thompson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 3 dram loads in #1 frame

I have all #2 frame guns but am thinking of purchasing a #1 frame G 12 ga with fluid steel barrels. I often shoot 3 dram loads in the #2 frame. Will the pressure be too high for the #1 frame? If so what is the limit? Thanks for the help.
Andrew Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

Andrew,

I have several #1 frame 12 gauge Parkers with Damascus barrels and 3 dram load have not been a concern. The problem for me is the recoil with these light guns. If I am going to shoot a box of shells at game, 1 1/8 oz 3 dram loads are not a problem, however if I am going to shoot 100 clays I drop the load down to 1 oz and 2 3/4 dram. The latter load is so much more pleasant to shoot that it is my choice for game as well.

Kindest, Harru
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

They were proofed the same at 12,500psi with bulk smokeless, even higher if it is a late gun. As Harry said, the issue is how hard you want to whack your shoulder. Going grouse hunting where you might shoot 4-5 times a day may be fine as compared to a round of 100 at sporting clays. Then of course not all 1 frame 12's are light guns and not all 2 frame 12's are heavy.

TPS shows recommended normal and max pressure tables.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 09-30-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
VH20
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am told by guys who compete regularly in serious Clays competitions that it has been proven that virtually everyone will score higher with a 1 oz. 12 ga. load compared to a 1-1/8 oz. load over a full course of 100 rds. The reason given is simply that flinching due to recoil more than negates the small advantage of having an extra 1/8 oz. in the air. I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't doubt it. My practice load (low pressure) is 7/8 oz. because it is very economical and takes most of the strain off the gun and stock for high volume shooting. For the odd competition I may enter, I admit that I go to a 1 or 1-1/8 oz. load, though.
Jim Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Andrew Thompson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks so much for the input. I found a two part article in Shooting Sportsman from a few years ago that helped ease my mind. I'm about to purchase my first damascus gun and want to shoot ducks with it so i wanted to make sure what limitations there were, if any. I'm looking forward to breaking out the re-loading press again and i'm sure that will open a whole new can of worms as it has been a while since I sat at the table.
THANKS AGAIN
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

Andrew,

As you may well know steel shot is not friendly to our old SXS's. I use "Nice Shot" through my Damsacus barreled Parkers. It is pricy to say the least. However, it kills. I would use #2 shot because you never know when a goose will apear. Nice shot will cause a slight jump in pressure though you will not need a heavy shot load for the best patterns. A 1 1/8 oz load is just right out of a 12 gauge. I shot #4 Nice shot out of the "D" Parker 4 frame 10 gauge with 1 1/4 oz loads at almost 1200 fps and took some speckled goose and ducks. I will share my low pressure load if you like.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1598.JPG (96.0 KB, 15 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Andrew Thompson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the pic, Harry. Pit blind? Deadly. I never shoot steel in my doubles. I was very lucky to pick up 3cases of bismuth about 4 years ago and I am out. I will admit that a few federal premium #5" s have made it in the pits on occasion. RST loads are hard to come by in this area, but i have been on the website and am probably going that route. Heavishot classic doubles work pretty well too.