Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Record Day Hunting NH Crows - Parker Style
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Default Record Day Hunting NH Crows - Parker Style

I took a couple of days off from work to go up to the "Live Free or Die" state to team up with Scott Kittredge to do a little crow busting. At first light we were all set up in the blind, loaded our Parkers, and got both our electronic callers going. Within minutes a nice bunch of crows flew in from their roost in the distance and we downed several of them. After a couple hours at this blind, Scott wasn't satisfied with the wind direction and the obstruction from the tall trees above, so we packed up our gear and went to the other side of the cornfield. Our total at this blind was 23.

After set up at the second blind and our electronic callers blaring the crow owl fight, these crows started to fly in. And do I mean really coming in... It was a blitz of black birds non-stop. In the beginning, the high flying migrant crows were out of range but a few did come down to see what all the racket was about. We could see way out in the distance about a mile away groups of 25 and 30 a line of crows. The onslaught just would not stop. They were so many crows coming in so fast, we literally couldn't load our guns quick enough.

The most memorable was during a time when things got quiet for about 15-20 minutes so I decided to use the idle time between shoots to clean up the pile of shells I ejected with my DHE. Since my back was turned and with two callers cranked full blast – Scott was trying to tell me to turn around but I couldn’t hear him. After several attempts to get my attention, Scott decided to touch off a couple of rounds and I frantically spun around. Up in the sky there had to be at least a couple hundred crows. It was absolutely amazing.

Around 11:30AM we ran out of shells! So we quickly went back to the truck to get more ammo and we changed guns. I switched my DHE 12 ga to my GH 12ga. Scott switched his 20 ga. VH to his straight gripped BH 12 gauge.

By days end at 3:30 we downed 180 crows including one rare white crow. Scott got 91 crows with 173 shells fired. I shot 89 with 169 shells fired.

Scott said he has never had a shoot like this nor has he ever seen this many crows in a single day. Scott has been hunting crows since 1974. We approximated that we saw 800 to 1000 crows in flight yesterday.

It was a RECORD day and the Parkers performed flawlessly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121026_7b.jpg (512.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_10b.jpg (542.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_21b.jpg (548.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_19b.JPG (394.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_29b.JPG (457.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_31b.jpg (532.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_32b.jpg (534.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_33b.jpg (541.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20121026_36b.jpg (539.7 KB, 4 views)
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

what a hunt it must have been...i sure like to hear of these kinda hunts and a record breaker wow....nice guns in the pictures it looks like you boys no what your doing by the proof on the ground..and your ratio of shell to bird was really good to....hope ya ll have more of these good hunts... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

You will both be blessed,and some one, somewhere, will have more ducks...,
Thanks David
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Lien For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,567 Posts

Not sure what my old English teacher would call the collective form of "crows" (like a flock of geese or a herd of buffalo) but I believe a bunch of crows are called a Murder of crows.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,289 Times in 909 Posts

Thats great guys I thought I could hear you shooting all the way up here in Gilford
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Man o man, it looks like they were just falling out of the sky. Nice job guys! Thanks for the pics. That was realy cool
Unread 10-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Good shooting fellas: I have never shot a crow and was curious to the reason that you do shoot crows.We get thousands through here in the winter and what is the set up you use to decoy them in.Thanks Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,534 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
what a hunt it must have been...i sure like to hear of these kinda hunts and a record breaker wow....nice guns in the pictures it looks like you boys no what your doing by the proof on the ground..and your ratio of shell to bird was really good to....hope ya ll have more of these good hunts... charlie
thanks Charlie, Frank is just picking up on crow hunting, he picked it up fast ! had to with all the shooting we did. best day ever was 104 with Pete Lester. now with the new record it will be another 40 years before i can top that one. its good to have somebody to shoot with that could see all we saw that day. Frank's bird count was off a little, there were between 3 to 3 1/2 thousand birds that went by use that day. long lines at times where i couldn't even see the end. at one point we had a couple hundred over us and a line back to where they came from that i couldn't see the end of it. i just started laughing and said, Frank we don't have enough shells!! scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scott kittredge For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,289 Times in 909 Posts

Hey Scott, where is Lester?? Did all the crows scare him off
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,000 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
Hey Scott, where is Lester?? Did all the crows scare him off
Had to work till Noon and rather than interrupt the fun I set up in another field several miles away. Birds were still moving in the afternoon but not like they had been in the morning from the sounds of it. I took measley 37 with 56 shots. How many crows have you shot this fall Steve?

PS. Frank, Blue Jeans? Crows have color vision, camo pants in the future buddy the leaves are falling fast leaving little cover.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post: