Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Parker Lifter model purchase
Unread 05-30-2024, 12:08 AM   #1
Nathan Holcombe
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker Lifter model purchase

Hello All-

First time posting on the forum. I recently just purchased a 1847 lifter model from an auction, with the SN 3529. It appears that the gun was made in 1847. The gun is actually in good condition, all original parts with the same SN.

Except for the stock, which is cracked beyond repair. Also I think that I have an 11 gauge, since a 12 gauge shell is way too loose and a 10 gauge will not fit in the chamber.

I don't have plans to shoot it, but would like to get the stock replaced so that I can display the shotgun. I have another Parker that I inherited from my father, a Trojan SN 194616, which is a great shooter.

Any suggestions on getting a stock fitted? Thanks in advance-
Nathan Holcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2024, 07:05 AM   #2
Tennessee Dave
PGCA Member

Member Info

The gun was made in 1874. There are a couple of people here that can help you. Hopefully one of them will comment to this thread or e-mail to directly. Can you post pictures of the gun?
David Livesay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Livesay For Your Post:
Unread 05-30-2024, 09:36 PM   #3
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,126 Times in 434 Posts

Couple of things. I don't have the serialization book in front of me, but 11 gauge Parkers are very rare. I have an 1874 model in 10 gauge with a serial number around 400 past yours. During the early history of Parker, most 12 gauges had 11 gauge barrels and 10 gauges had 9 gauge barrels. There were a few different 12 ga chambers used, depending on brass, paper and forcing cone form. If the gun is in the serialization book or a factory letter is available you could likely determine how it left the factory.

It is possible that it is a 10 ga with 11 ga barrels. As to a 10 ga cartridge fitting, the early Parkers generally had short 10 chambers and a new shell may not fit due to the length being way too long. A check of the records or a letter from the association would likely answer a lot of questions. There honestly is very little chance it is an 11 gauge, but if it is a documented one it is a rarity.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
Nathan Holcombe
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the info Arthur. To be honest, I hadn't ever heard of an 11 gauge prior to watching Larry Potterfields video on his Parker lifter model restoration. Not really sure what it is to be honest. The mechanicals are in great shape on the gun, but the stock is really trashed at this point. I won't be shooting it, just wall art and a tribute to the name.
Unread 05-30-2024, 10:04 PM   #5
Nathan Holcombe
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll try to get some pictures of the parts soon, since the gun is disassembled now. All of the SN's are the same, and the hardware is all original as well.
Unread 05-30-2024, 10:09 PM   #6
Nathan Holcombe
Forum Associate

Member Info

By the way, any idea what frame this is? I have been looking for a stock blank, and one of the questions on it refers to this. Thanks in advance-
Unread 05-31-2024, 08:11 AM   #7
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I looked up your gun last night. It is an 1874 T grade (twist barrels), lifter action, no options, 10 gauge, 30" barrels. Check the length of the shell you are trying to use. It is likely a 3-1/2 inch and way too long to go in.

As to the stock, I own about a dozen lifters, have worked on several in refurbishing them. I spent over a year trying to find a semi-inlet blank for several of them (probably tried 20 or more vendors) and found absolutely none available for any lifter model. Several companies used to make them but all had stopped and none even had their old patterns. Just not enough demand I assume. To my knowledge what you are looking for is simply not available as a simple purchase. I had one custom turned but had to take a broken up stock, glue it together and patch it with bondo reshaped to the proper dimensions to use as a pattern. This costs several hundred dollars plus the wood. Having a new stock built as a custom will be several thousands. During that time I actively looked for a used stock or a junk gun that had a decent stock. No luck, since the stock is often the worst condition item on the gun (your situation). Getting a new stock at any kind of reasonable price will be a challenge.

Post some pictures in the thread. Some people think a stock is ruined when in fact they can be repaired to a level at least to the point of making a display gun. broken, even in several pieces or severely cracked can often be repaired. No one can advise without the pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2024, 11:48 PM   #8
Nathan Holcombe
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Arthur!

I really appreciate that information, and it does have the original twist barrels with matching serial numbers. And per your info, it must be a 10 gauge. I'm gluing it back together with epoxy to keep it together.

I'll attempt to refinish it so that I can display it, and might send the stock off to US Gunstocks to have them make a copy of it. I spoke with them on the phone, and I think that I can do the inleting (I have a machinist background) and attempt the checkering on it as well.

After the epoxy sets tomorrow, I will reassemble the shotgun and take some pics of it. Thanks again for your input.
Unread 06-01-2024, 09:41 PM   #9
Nathan Holcombe
Forum Associate

Member Info

pics coming soon.

Last edited by Nathan Holcombe; 06-01-2024 at 11:02 PM..
Unread 06-03-2024, 08:51 AM   #10
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

One other thing I didn't mention. It is possible that on an early gun that the chamber is for a 10B brass shell. During the early period they were made for either 10B or 10A shells. The 10B was the first chambering and made for thin wall brass shells that had an inner diameter close to bore size and thin walls. The 10A was a later brass shell with the outside diameter of a paper shell and a larger inner diameter. The early back action I own had only one factory record, being that it was returned around 1900 to have the chamber enlarged from a 12B to a normal 12 gauge chamber. If a modern 10 gauge shell of the proper length will not chamber, you could have a gun with a 10A chamber.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: