Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Frame Sizes....
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Frame Sizes....

....and rarity. There are, quite often, no factory records to indicate what size frame a particular gun was built on. Would I be correct if I assumed that my 6 frame NH is somewhat uncommon? I guess we will never really know without some sort of database, which, of course, would revolve around participation. I bet there are many Parker owners that do not belong to the PGCA and/or frequent this forum. Also, many owners would have a certain reluctance to giving out gun information, with or without serial numbers (complete or partial XXX). Rambling thoughts.....Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,173 Times in 4,897 Posts

There are factory records that record frame sizes. The later stock books have a column for frame size. I don't know when this started, but it is probably beyond the #6 frame era. The Puglisi #6 frame 12 gauge is the first gun I saw other than an eight gauge that was made on the #6 frame. My ten gauge #6 frame Vulcan Steel gun was not made as a ten gauge. It was made as an eight gauge and sent back to Parker Brothers to be rebarrelled in ten gauge. I never saw a letter on the Puglisi gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,114 Posts

Very Nice piece of Information Bill for those of us which haven't seen the Stock Books ! Thank You ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

6 frame 12 gauge. It would be a fun project to get together frame sizes by gauge and grade. Probably be a looooong project.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,059 Times in 1,447 Posts

I gotta believe I've mentioned frame sizes and the stock books multiple times on this forum but I'll say it again!

Only the later Stock Books contain information on frame sizes. Parker changed the style of the books starting at S/N 213778 and ending with the last Stock Book at S/N 238934. I have not seen any reference to frame sizes in any Stock book prior to 213778 and never have seen references to frame sizes in the Order Books.

Dean Romig and I are working on a PP technical article showing the evolution of the Stock Books. Perhaps in the Summer or Fall issue of PP's.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

I now recall your past posting, so I amended my original post to reflect that
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

There are a few references to frame size in the order books. One example is my #3 frame 16 gauge which specifies in the order to "use 2 1/2 frame" which is the #3 frame. Chuck may want to post a scan of that order which not only specified the frame size, but also specified a "#1 stock" another very rare request on an order.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Chuck, I guess I should mention the serial number of the gun in question whose order we would like to look at. It is #136,923 and I have already paid for a letter, so you may feel comfortable posting the order scan. Murphy
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,144 Times in 409 Posts

I have mentioned before, and I'm sure raised a few eye browses in doing so, but in the mid to late eighties I had a damascus 8ga CH gun with 36 inch barrels come into my gun store. This was the most massive Parker I had ever seen and though I didn't actually weigh it, it honestly felt like a twenty pound gun. The stock was just as massive overall however I do not recall it being excessively long but my fingers would not wrap fully around the thick grip area. Here is the part that draws skepticism when I relate the story. On the barrel lug, where the frame size was stamped on these guns, was a very defined number 8 stamped. At the time I assumed it was referring to the gauge, which I knew to be an 8 ga. Reflecting back, and to my knowledge the gauge was not stamped on these early hammerless guns and there were no other numbers on the lug. Unfortunately I did not record the serial number of the gun. It was not in my possession long as the gun was stolen and I knew it was being brought in and had called the police ahead of time. It turned out to have been stolen from a Judge who lived outside of the Dallas Ft. Worth area. Be skeptical if you must, but I know what I saw.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Noble For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dave, I believe I have seen references to a number 8 frame size in historical Parker records, but I cannot remember where. I do know that you are the only person who has actually seen one. I would expect that they are rarer than the proverbial "hens' teeth". I have seen and handled over 100 Parker 8 gauges and never an 8 frame did I see. You are a lucky man.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote