Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Old Parker Hammer gun
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Old Parker Hammer gun

I'm just seeking general information.
I am an avid Parker collector, somewhat new and still a novice. I have a project hammer gun built in 1884. I wrote and received the official letter and have returned it to original specs. That required replacing the tiger maple stock with a good serviceable walnut stock that matched the walnut receiver. It's a field gun, no checkering, plain wood and stub twist barrels. It's beautiful.
I'm sure it will appreciate in value if I leave it as is, but I want to do more to it. I'd like to have it checkered with a simple pattern, I'd like to have the barrels reblued and maybe the receiver case colored.
If I did all that, it would look better, but what have I done to the value?
Carl Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,339 Times in 3,302 Posts

what grade is the gun according to the letter. Since you say "field grade" and twist barrels I assume a 0 grade.
Are the barrels solid and full length?

since it has been already been restocked, most of what you do will not give you much return on investment.

But you may have a great shooter to enjoy, and if you will enjoy it more refinished - that is your call
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl: You certainly would not want to blue the barrels as they were originally browned. I assume when you mention receiver you were referring to the forearm. You won't harm the value if you return it to it's original specifications, but you most probably won't increase the value by as much as you spend. Enjoy your Parker & WELCOME

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
what grade is the gun according to the letter. Since you say "field grade" and twist barrels I assume a 0 grade.
Are the barrels solid and full length?

since it has been already been restocked, most of what you do will not give you much return on investment.

But you may have a great shooter to enjoy, and if you will enjoy it more refinished - that is your call
Yes, the grade is "O" and the barrels are solid and full length (32")
Thanks for the info.
Carl
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes you are correct..."to match the original walnut forend". I know about the browning process, and yes it would be to re-brown them.
Thanks very much for your comments.
Carl
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think I will proceed since this is essentially for my enjoyment. The stub twist pattern is very bold, and although was considered the very basic twist barrel, it really appeals to me.
Carl
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,177 Times in 4,897 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the gun with the maple stock that you can post? It sounds like you have a nice gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,302 Posts

Carl: the barrels were finished in 'black & white' and turn 'plum' over time. Original colors may remain under the forend; courtesy of Carl Brandt

Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,378 Times in 4,730 Posts

If the twist pattern is currently visible and bold as you say, it should be left as is. Frame coloring is most likely not needed, but it is your call. Abou the only thing you mention that I am sure the gun could benefit from is checkering.
If it has no checkering, or very worn checkering, that is something it could likely benefit from.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have had lots of dialog concerning this gun. Originally, I bought it as a project and it was sold to me as an 11 ga. The .754 bore supported the possibility that it was an 11 ga., but the letter confirmed it was a 12 ga. Also, the 12 ga. cartridge fit perfectly. After lengthy reading and research and input from other members of PGCA 2 years ago, I concluded it was one of many Parkers that didn't fit the normal .729 configuration. The one thing I knew for sure was that the Tiger Maple Stock had to go. It was in stark contrast to the walnut forend, and even though it fit well, it drove me crazy. I am at peace with the new walnut stock and will proceed to get the original uncheckered forend and the new stock checkered. The picture Drew sent is very similar to my gun, but mine is even bolder. It may be because it is Stub Twist.
I think I will take your advise and not do anything to the metal.
I can send a picture of the stock, but it is not on the gun. Bill, if you want a picture of just the stock, I can do that? Again thanks for all your comments.
Carl