Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 03-15-2023, 09:45 AM   #21
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

Concerning 12 gauge guns with one exception all that I own are choked in excess of .030, some substantially more. I don't even think about chokes any more as long as they are tight, just shoot and move on. I have carried the same 2 boxes of spreaders to Haussmans, The Rock, and the Southern for I don't really know how long now, they are still full. Same intention every trip, use em on the bunny. Same mind set every trip, I ain't wasting the time digging them out. Don't get me wrong I thinks it's a great idea on the bunny but I just get into a shooting mode mentally and either forget that I have them or just refuse to change anything in my routine. BUT, I have committed to using them in 2023, really.

My shooting pal says with reference to tight chokes costing shooters targets that "tight chokes don't matter, you're either on it or you ain't." After years of hearing him say that I'm not so sure that he isn't correct.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2023, 09:49 AM   #22
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,667 Times in 2,628 Posts

Craig, having shot one "Perfect 100" in an event and many 99, 98, 97s too, it's so easy to make one mental mistake and give up that coveted 100. Bad mount, bad trigger pull, off line, out in front, behind.....The list goes on and on. Doesn't matter how soft we set a course, every bird needs the same amount of focus. The "easy" birds are the ones we don't focus hard on and that causes misses. The mental game causes more misses than a choke combination, which can also be part of the mental game. Let's say you look at a pair, quartering birds, slow to medium speed, kill zone at 20-25 yards and you think you need IC/SK. You swap out your M or LM, then proceed to miss the first pair. Now your mind blames the choke selection instead of an improper mount and connection with the birds. That doubt will most likely cause at least another miss if not more. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-15-2023, 10:14 AM   #23
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,457 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Craig, having shot one "Perfect 100" in an event and many 99, 98, 97s too, it's so easy to make one mental mistake and give up that coveted 100. Bad mount, bad trigger pull, off line, out in front, behind.....The list goes on and on. Doesn't matter how soft we set a course, every bird needs the same amount of focus. The "easy" birds are the ones we don't focus hard on and that causes misses. The mental game causes more misses than a choke combination, which can also be part of the mental game. Let's say you look at a pair, quartering birds, slow to medium speed, kill zone at 20-25 yards and you think you need IC/SK. You swap out your M or LM, then proceed to miss the first pair. Now your mind blames the choke selection instead of an improper mount and connection with the birds. That doubt will most likely cause at least another miss if not more. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Buddy you’re preaching to the choir ! Over the years I got a decent number of 100’s at skeet in 12 , 20 and 28 . But the damn 410 had my number I had a veritable pile of 98’s and 99’s with the 410 never could get that nor the 400x400 I sure wanted back when I was eaten up with the skeet bug .
Unread 03-15-2023, 11:05 AM   #24
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,079 Times in 2,378 Posts

Nice trio of guns Brian. Apologies for detouring your thread but if I start out on the first few stations just chipping targets I just don't have the feedback to get into a "zone". Smoke begets smoke. YMMV.
Unread 03-15-2023, 05:07 PM   #25
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,667 Times in 2,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Nice trio of guns Brian. Apologies for detouring your thread but if I start out on the first few stations just chipping targets I just don't have the feedback to get into a "zone". Smoke begets smoke. YMMV.
Well, Brian's thread is on it's way to Cuba.... That always happens as soon as the topic of choke comes up.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-15-2023, 05:18 PM   #26
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,997 Times in 435 Posts

Well I have shot many a 25 in skeet with full and full. My happiest day ever was shooting a 25 with my 34” hammer gun, O frame with 0.044 and 0.044. I have logged more 23’s than I can count with it but 25 is a bit tricky as the mind game closes in on station 8 :-). The best practice I have ever done is with tight chokes on a skeet field, to repeat the above……when your in the zone it all plays out and some days when I say “that gun is not shooting where I am looking!” I am nowhere near the mindset I need to be in to shoot well.

Happy shooting everyone and shoot what you like, with the choke you like, as much as you can.
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brian Hornacek For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2023, 07:30 PM   #27
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hornacek View Post
Well I have shot many a 25 in skeet with full and full. My happiest day ever was shooting a 25 with my 34” hammer gun, O frame with 0.044 and 0.044. I have logged more 23’s than I can count with it but 25 is a bit tricky as the mind game closes in on station 8 :-). The best practice I have ever done is with tight chokes on a skeet field, to repeat the above……when your in the zone it all plays out and some days when I say “that gun is not shooting where I am looking!” I am nowhere near the mindset I need to be in to shoot well.

Happy shooting everyone and shoot what you like, with the choke you like, as much as you can.
Brian, you are the man.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #28
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,457 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hornacek View Post

I can relate ! I used to help out with the home club skeet league and you had for lack of a better term “up and coming” shooters with their nice new O/U tube spouting off about this that or the other . And yes before you say it I know I got that description years ago . Anyway after the league is finished usually I’ll grill burgers and dogs for them and maybe shoot a couple rounds . So one year I drug out a Grade 2 10 gauge 3 frame 32” that was tight and tighter . And the up coming hotdogs wanted to shoot also , so around we go ! I put 25 black clouds in the sky to their utter amazement and then we’d hit a second round . Wish I could say I went 50x50 , but 49x50 was enough to outdo them all But in their defense I’ve been shooting skeet longer than some of those guys have been on the face of the earth . So you might say even thou the gun in their words handicapped me , I still had an advantage from having done it so much longer and not getting wound up about it .
Unread 03-26-2023, 10:43 PM   #29
Will Gurton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Brian, or Brian?

What pad and treament did you use on the far right DHE?

Thanks, Will
Will Gurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2023, 10:46 PM   #30
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,997 Times in 435 Posts

That is the red Decelerator 1”, they are great but out of stock everywhere i believe.

Brian
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Hornacek For Your Post: