Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Unread 01-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #21
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I figured it either came down to cultural norms or perhaps or species that are more easily repopulated were chosen as game birds. Im not sure about other states but I believe here we have two categories, non game animals and non game protected animals. I guess what I am looking for would be something on the cultural or social roots of modern hunting. Regulations aside locally we have game animals we dont hunt I suppose you could call its a custom passed down by the older generation.
I came across this ad in a 1924 periodical. Notice they were still hunting shore birds (and with Parker small bore guns)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0959.jpg (514.9 KB, 0 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2022, 01:38 AM   #22
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I came across this ad in a 1924 periodical. Notice they were still hunting shore birds (and with Parker small bore guns)
A small bore Parker or your favorite American double name would probably be most ideal for a gun to carry with a fishing rod. He also mentions using his waterfowl gun as well though so perhaps Cleveland used his 8 gauges on rail or snipe occasionally haha. I take it to mean he would carry a sub gauge while fishing if a opportunity arose but also would take his waterfowling gun and pursue shore birds.

I think its interesting he mentions even 100+yrs ago people would complain specifically about a public figure hunting.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2022, 03:17 PM   #23
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,665 Times in 1,642 Posts

Mr. Grover Cleveland, indeed was a hunter, he was the recipient of the 8 ga Colt made for him and I believe the only 8 ga made by Colt, He named the gun " Death and Destruction" I have a 20 ga hammer gun that the late Austin Hogan belived had a connection to mr Cleveland, it is also the very first 20 ga hammer gun made, a 250 or 300.00 dollar grade, but never could substantiate it . An article will be in the Double gun Journal sometimes in 2022, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #24
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr View Post
Mr. Grover Cleveland, indeed was a hunter, he was the recipient of the 8 ga Colt made for him and I believe the only 8 ga made by Colt, He named the gun " Death and Destruction" I have a 20 ga hammer gun that the late Austin Hogan belived had a connection to mr Cleveland, it is also the very first 20 ga hammer gun made, a 250 or 300.00 dollar grade, but never could substantiate it . An article will be in the Double gun Journal sometimes in 2022, Gary
I get the feeling Cleveland could talk about every specific detail of all his guns and loads but didnt want to get side tracked off the focus of his book. He does mention how he enjoys sitting around at camp talking all day about shotgun loads and reloading methods. He would have loved the reloading forum we have here. Who knows that 20 ga hammer gun could have been one of his shore bird guns does seem like he preferred a hammerless, however I think Cleveland would enjoy any fine American double.

Theres a picture of him holding a shotgun I read was indeed the Colt but wasnt sure. The Colt looks slim for a 8 gauge, man I wish we had some notes from the Colt guys on how they went about building it. I guess im kind of a nerd when it comes to big doubles I could spend all day measuring every part of them with a caliper. At one time I was keeping notes on the breech measurements I could find of 10 and 8 ga guns from the period.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #25
zacheryfrevert
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had never even heard of bow fishing before I picked up Fishing and Shooting Sketches by Grover Cleveland. I was flipping through the pages idly, looking for something new to try, when I came across a description of bow fishing. It sounded like a lot of fun, so I decided to give it a shot. I went out and bought a used compound bow and a few arrows from https://bowarchery.com/best-bowfishi...r-muddy-water/ and headed down to the local pond. It didn't take long to get the hang of it, and I was soon hooked. I've been bow fishing ever since, and I love it. It's a great way to get some exercise, and it's also a lot of fun. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by zacheryfrevert; 10-07-2022 at 07:46 AM..
zacheryfrevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2022, 08:58 PM   #26
Dollar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,072 Times in 349 Posts

Shooting robins here in Florida is an old tradition.Up until recently I used hear of one or more of the locals in central Florida getting caught with a sack full of robins in January yearly.
Bob Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2022, 09:28 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

that big 8 ga lefever has to be top gun in my opinion.. but it does seem like a light weight compared to other 8 ga s...except for bll murphys 8 lb 8 ga... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2022, 07:26 AM   #28
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

I took advantage of Victor W's link to the complete text of Grover Cleveland's book. It is well illustrated and the best part, it is free.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Fishing and shooting sketches
Unread 05-09-2023, 04:09 PM   #29
Buddy Harrison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Fishing and shooting sketches

As an unrepentant robin slayer, I can vividly recall occasions in my youth in the mid-1950's when my father and I would shoulder our Winchester Model 67 single shot .22's and head for the nearby woods where several large holly trees were loaded with succulent red berries that the migrant robins loved dearly. This was in the late fall when the transient "yankee" birds had arrived. We each carried a box of .22 shorts to keep the noise down to keep from spooking the birds and to avoid discovery from the local game warden. After making a makeshift blind we would begin collecting what was necessary to make a good meal for my family of five (usually 25-30) birds. Dad and I would clean the birds and Mom would cook, usually fry, the robin breasts. As best I recall they had a taste similar to doves. On other occasions we would ambush enough for supper from a chinaberry tree in my grandmother's yard. By that time of year the chinaberries had mostly dried, soured and shriveled which for some reason the robins couldn't resist. Once my father swallowed a robin bone and it scratched his throat. He was convinced it was lodged in his throat so off to the local doctor we went. When my Dad related what his problem was to the doctor, with a chuckle he said, "Now I've heard it all."
Buddy Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddy Harrison For Your Post: