Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

Unread 05-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Anne, you mentioned waiting several years for the gun to attain "antique" status. You should also know that with firearms the government has a legal timeframe for guns to be classified as antique. That date is 1898. Any gun manufactured after that date is subject to all of the current laws at the federal level (and whatever state you are in). You should look into the laws before you attempt to sell the gun.

I understand your timeframe for antique status, but wanted to be sure that you understood there is a terminology for guns that applies here also.

Good luck with your gun. It looks like a nice gun to shoot if a good smith deems it safe. I'm sure you could find a buyer if it is.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2023, 03:59 PM   #12
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Gulliksen View Post
Thank you for the reply. I will work on gathering the information you need to evaluate its worth.
Anne
I did not make myself clear. This group is not an appraisal site, so many things affect the value that any guess is just that, a guess.
All are worth what a buyer will pay, finding that buyer is the problem. Your gun to this buyer is only worth a few hundred to another perhaps a thousand. Over that you will have to search far and wide.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2023, 08:31 AM   #13
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

What would you consider an antique? In the firearms world an “Antique” defined by the ATF is 1898 and older. It is not a moving target. So, according to that, your VH will never be one.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 05-25-2023, 09:32 AM   #14
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Anne as stated all firearms can only be considered an antique if made in 1898 or prior. I am assuming that you are under the impression that the shotgun becomes an antique once it becomes 100 years old.
The value of your shotgun is not in the collectability but in functionality. The person that will buy this gun will buy it with the intention of using it. The VH parkers are not rare, high original condition ones are desirable. Smaller gauges generally are more valuable than 12 gauges.
PGCA has records on many of the guns manufactured. Providing the serial number will allow us to look up the original configuration.
What is meant by Cleaned Up means work has been done to alter the original finish. For example if you had an antique dresser that had the original finish and patina cleaned off it, it is going to be less valuable than one that has been cared for in high condition with the original finish.
Most critical is the condition of the bores. If they are safe then most everything else can be repaired if needed.
Anne no one can provide an honest dollar value over the internet, there are just to many variables.
The best way to proceed is to have one of members here recommend a respected qualified gunsmith in your area to evaluate this particular Parker and advise you on its value.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 05-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

You seem reluctant to provide the serial number. There is no ulterior motive in that request. We have access to a publication that may provide further information about your gun and its configuration. Thanks.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2023, 03:48 PM   #16
Anne Gulliksen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good morning All,
I have done some investigating on my Dad's gun. Manufactured in 1927 First it has all three "matching" serial numbers; is a 16 gauge and uses 3" shells. The barrel is 28" and has its bead. I was told it is in fine condition and in working order.
I was also told the market is full of this type so I was advised to hang on to it, as it also has good provenance.

Thank you for help and direction in this matter, you have a very informative Assoc.
Best regards,
Anne Gulliksen
(I have attached a few photos taken this morning. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0629.jpg (506.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0633.jpg (486.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (490.0 KB, 6 views)
Anne Gulliksen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anne Gulliksen For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2023, 06:55 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Our reference shows it to be a 16 gauge with 28" Vulcan Steel barrels, which you already know. If the bores of the barrels are perfect and shiny, the gun would probably sell for $700 to $1100 in its present cleaned up condition. This is not a criticism of the fine gun, only a suggestion of its value.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2023, 07:49 PM   #18
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

I wonder if this is on a #1 or an 0 frame?
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote