Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Spring Migration in South Dakota
Unread 03-31-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Spring Migration in South Dakota

My wife Lisa took these photos yesterday morning on her way into work.This is about half a mile from our house in southeastern South Dakota.The sky has been full of ducks and geese here for about a week now.The snow pack in Central and Northern parts of the state are keeping the migration stalled here for lack of food available north of here.Notice photo #3 has 4 images with a Higher point of view.Ive never seen one of them around here before.A couple others you can see a swarm of geese in the distance.Its like this all day lately in any direction. Enjoy, Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1167 6x4.jpg (598.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1124 6x4.jpg (574.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1244 6x4 Geese.jpg (563.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1256 6x4.jpg (563.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1258 6x4.jpg (599.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1269 6x4.jpg (593.2 KB, 2 views)
Jeff Sweeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2023, 10:07 AM   #2
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

With all the geese in the area and flying over my place I was finally able to pull one down.My dog Katie didn't get much of a work out as she retrieved my game as I shot this goose just out the back door of my shop not landing 10 ft from us.But at least I kept her clean.The forecast is for some snow here tonight and a winter storm coming in next week for the upper Dakotas with 8-20 inchs of snow possible.They may be here a while yet.Maybe someone could straighten out my picture.I haven't had that happen before.Thanks Jeff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230330_185147.jpg (535.8 KB, 3 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Sweeter For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2023, 10:48 AM   #3
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

I know it can never happen, but it'd be cool if they would have a Spring duck season.....

I'd love to have a crack at full plumage Blue wingers, spoonies, etc..... In the fall, at least here in MO, even the drakes are just brown ducks.
Unread 03-31-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

8"-20" of snow TONIGHT??? I'm tired of snow after the first dusting in October-November. We have cousins that live in Lead. They show us pics of snowstorms in September. That's why we're visiting them in June this year!!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-31-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Joe, I've wanted a nice pintail to get mounted for a long time but don't see many around here in the fall.They are thick around here right now and in full plumage.I had many opportunities around my place yesterday.Good thing I have some morals.Mike,I think the big snow is forecast for early next week.I hope it tracks north of us.Im tired of snow too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Sweeter For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2023, 11:34 AM   #6
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile

Just took this from my kitchen window.The're getting kind of close.Have to be careful not to look up when I walk across my yard..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230331_092925.jpg (487.7 KB, 9 views)
Unread 04-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #7
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,010 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeter View Post
Hi Joe, I've wanted a nice pintail to get mounted for a long time but don't see many around here in the fall.They are thick around here right now and in full plumage.I had many opportunities around my place yesterday.Good thing I have some morals.Mike,I think the big snow is forecast for early next week.I hope it tracks north of us.Im tired of snow too.
The last few years I’ve hunted waterfowl in Oklahoma in late January. Every duck we take is absolutely beautiful. Pin tails, mallards, cans, teal, widgeon are all just stunning. If you’re looking for a Mount I highly recommend the trip.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Snow
Unread 04-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #8
Mark Riessen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Snow

I believe that I-29 was closed this AM. Wind and snow.
Mark Riessen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Riessen For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2023, 10:36 AM   #9
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The geese bugged out of my area last Sunday after an inch of snow Saturday night.I was able to scratch a nice blue from the sky Sunday morning right off my deckthough.Now that's the way to hunt.I talked to a farmer friend about 80 miles north of me on Tuesday morning and he had not seen any snows in his area yet just a few honkers flying around.He said the ground there was completely covered with snow yet and I'm sure they got more later that day into Wednesday as I-29 was indeed closed just north of me to North Dakota border.I don't know if the migration is stalled north of me not too far or if they took off and blasted across or moved east across Minnesota.Ive been told it's critical that they reach their nesting area by a certain date so the young geese get big enough to fly back south this fall.Dont know much about that.Its supposed to get warmer than normal for the next week so hopefully things will work out for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Sweeter For Your Post: