Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

French Brittany has cancer
Unread 06-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #1
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default French Brittany has cancer

Hoping for some thoughts, comments, etc. Our 9.5 year old French Brittany out of Sur Le Delavan had blood on her tongue. I lifted her jowl to find a tumor. We took her immediately to the emergency vet client in Waukesha, Wisconsin and then to her regular vet. This was the Tuesday prior to Memorial Weekend. In both instances, the diagnosis was....probably not serious. Remove some tissue and she should be okay. The surgeons were on vacation but we continually followed up, multiple times a day, asking what's next, where does she go, when does she get a biopsy, who will do the surgery, when is her appointment...help! I cannot begin to explain the panic and frustration as everything we read said "timing is critical". She finally (after pleading) had a "consultation" with the surgeon at the Waukesha Emergency Vet clinic. The comment was "this is grave, she is likely beyond help." I cannot begin to explain the frustration and sadness. Hazel is a family dog and we love her. We won't let her go without trying...but so far nothing but consultations. The clinic "tried" to get her in for an oncology visit yesterday but ultimately said there was no opening. Our next appointment is Thursday...oncology. Meanwhile, the tumor grows.

I don't want to give up without some fight but I cannot even start the process! Has anyone had experience with this? Anyone tried an experimental treatment? Anyone with advice of any kind? Any hope? We were told removing her entire snout might be an option but I don't know if I can or should go that route.

Adding to this all is our 16 year old American Brittany out of Tainter Creek is fading fast. I cannot imagine burying our two dogs within days or weeks of one another. I love them like kids.

Last edited by Troy Giles; 06-07-2022 at 07:15 PM..
Troy Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I only wish I could offer you some hope...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #3
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, and there isn't any, I guess. It's cancer, a hideous disease. But I will remember the frustration and lack of assistance or sense of urgency forever.
Unread 06-07-2022, 11:41 PM   #4
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Troy, it’s not going to be easy, follow up with the oncologist.
We just went through this last year with our ten year old Labrador, breast tumors/ cancer found in July 2020- surgery and biopsy determined an aggressive cancer. Referred to an oncologist, who told us at the consultation the he could not guarantee he could save our dog. We opted to have her go through the chemotherapy from September through December and what appeared to be a success. Unfortunately at the follow up appointment in March of 2021 the oncologist spotted something on her lung X-ray and a reading by a radiologist determined cancer in one of her lungs. Discussion with the oncologist was that the only treatment would be an inhibitor drug, very expensive and necessary for the remainder of her life with no guarantee it would work or that she wouldn’t have side effect problems. We opted to stop treatments and just let her enjoy life for what time she had left. We gave her a good Spring and Summer and I had hoped we could get out for a few hunts in October, but that was not to be, her health went down hill and she passed away on November 17, 2021.

I hope this helps, I know it was a little long winded but I wanted you to know how involved this can get. We’ll keep you and your family in our prayers,
Good luck and take care.
Tim
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 06-07-2022, 11:47 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I wish we could do for our loved ones that final act of loving kindness we are allowed to do for our cherished four-legged family members.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-08-2022, 12:17 AM   #6
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Timothy and Dean:

I cannot thank you both enough for taking the time to respond. We will fight for her but only to the point that its fair. We see the oncologist on Thursday and will go ahead with aggressive treatments if that is an option. For my three kids, it really isn't an option...we will do all we can to save Hazel. I am proud that they were raised to have that commitment and respect for these fine animals that give so much to us. She was never a great hunter (that is on me, Clint raises fine dogs). But she was my best friend in the field. Never busted a bird and never more than a single call and she was by my side. For 16 years I have been blessed with two friends in the field that made going for a walk, with a gun, on crisp Autumn day so wonderful. My wife would ask "how was Hazel"? I'd say, she was perfect. Hunting wild roosters in Wisconsin is hard work and more often than not, we'd come home without a bird. But the day was filled with joy just watching them run. Those perfect days of Autumn. That chapter, I think is about to close. And I am just not ready for it to end. We will give it heck and hope and pray. And pray. And then pray again asking for mercy and just a year or two more. Oncology on Thursday. We will see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Troy Giles For Your Post:
Unread 06-08-2022, 12:24 AM   #7
Troy Giles
Forum Associate

Member Info

Timothy, I neglected to say how sorry I am for your loss and for your struggle. I am right there with you and must be feeling the same way you did. So very sorry for your loss and for all the members of this forum that said goodbye way too early at the absolute wrong time. My heartfelt condolences to you.
Unread 06-08-2022, 12:51 AM   #8
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

With tumors, you just never know. Even the vets have a tough time calling it right. It is frustrating to get the medical runaround though. Prayers for you and your Hazel.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2022, 01:16 AM   #9
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

First Troy I am sorry that you are having to go through this with Hazel. These things are never easy. At times like these it is normal to make decisions based on emotions, we all do it.
Sometimes we proceed to treat our animals at a great expense even when we know, there is little hope and without consideration on the toll the treatment will take on our animals, and the financial impact to our family.
Is she in pain? Will the treatment cause her more pain and impact the quality of time she has left to be with you and your family?
I believe if you decide to not move on with an experimental treatment and enjoy the time you have with her until you know she deserves to be without any pain. You will have little regret.
Do not make a decision to treat Hazel based on you or your family’s emotions, make your decision on what is best for her, and the likelihood of any sort of quality of life during or after the treatment.
I hope this does not come across as being unkind but I have been down this road a few times over the years.
My heart goes out to you.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 06-08-2022, 01:40 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Phil’s kind and thiughtful words resonate the truth of the situation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: