Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 09-03-2022, 07:37 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,559 Times in 3,070 Posts

I've read of some very successful opening day dove hunts so far this year. Congratulations to our colleagues who were able to open their seasons on the 1st and best of luck to those hitting the fields today.

We got up early (3:00 am) and got to our scouted field about an hour and a half before sunrise. We were beaten to the field by two other parties(!), and so had to set up at the end of the field. You guessed it -- our end was the only inactive spot on the entire field. Our "neighbors" enjoyed some sky busting fun, along with hollering constantly at an untrained lab. Such are the joys of public ground dove openers.

I carried an 1889 DH 12 with 32 inch barrels (this is a very early hammerless, "three dog" DH). I've had this gun for many years. I purchased it at a local auction in very rough shape. It was the first gun I took to Brad Bachelder and I had him bring it back entirely. Many would say that I put too much into the gun to ever be able to get it back, but I would say that I've gotten more from this gun than money could ever buy.

Later in the afternoon, I went back alone and did some walk-up hunting. I managed to scratch down some birds -- as many as we could eat in a sitting, and was satisfied to have opened the hunting season; my 61st. It's a far cry from my early hunting with Pop after squirrels where I eagerly served as his "dog." Sitting in a slow dove hide, you get a lot of time to reflect on your own personal hunting life. It's one of the things I do like about stand hunting.

Here are some photos from our hunt. I can't believe Elaine voluntarily came to sit with me, but it was nice to have a good buddy to chat with and admire the sunrise. The photo of her was inspired by Georges de La Tour and his famous use of tenebrism (you don't spend your life in the arts and not see connections: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_de_La_Tour). A nice irony to have Orion greet us before dawn as we listened to the hum of mosquitoes, thankfully warded off by our thermocells.

I'll go again a couple of times (including one hunt inspired by Stan, carrying a gun of a caliber he might like), hopefully before the birds move on, but will shift gears to the teal season which begins at the end of next week. The best parts of the hunting year are to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1991.jpg (468.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1993.jpg (486.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1997.jpg (570.4 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

that's a fine looking gun ....early morning is a blessing....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 09-03-2022, 10:35 PM   #13
John Marscher
PGCA Member

Member Info

Opening day of dove season is treated as a holiday down here. We are blessed to have a great group to share it with on a friends old family farm. I love watching my pup slowly put it all together.

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg
John Marscher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to John Marscher For Your Post:
Unread 09-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

The farm across the road from me that was a dairy farm for the last seventy years stopped the dairy operation this past January so there was no early chopped corn this year . Some die hard still went there and stood around the edges of the to be picked cornfields . I heard exactly six shots , whether they hit any and whether they found them if hitting them I dunno . Pretty sad we used to have over a dozen working dairy farms in our county now there’s supposedly one left .
Unread 09-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #15
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,118 Posts

My pastor and I had a good local hamburger lunch yesterday then drove over to the field. There was assembled some 20 shooters at the lodge where we usually have a lunch cooked to enjoy, but not this time.

Went to the field about 2:45 pm and birds were already feeding. Cloudy, with spurts of sunshine. Temps in the mid 80s, with thunder rumbling occasionally off in the distance. Birds flew well until about 5:30, allowing all there ample opportunity for shooting. I was using my FAIR Iside Tartaruga Gold .410 S X S, 30" barrels, with 11/16 oz. Remington loads (leftovers, I won't be buying any more of them, much preferring the WW 3/4 oz. load in my guns).

Went 3 for 5 right off the bat, then the wheels fell off and I slid into a slump. Finally realized I was over leading those birds badly, cut my leads back, and ended the afternoon with 13 for the pan/grill. Hoping for two things at the same time for tomorrow afternoon.......... fair weather so we can combine and haul corn, and rainy weather so I can shoot doves instead. I just need to be two persons at this time of year!
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 09-04-2022, 02:57 PM   #16
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

great pictures and story as always Garry
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 09-05-2022, 08:11 AM   #17
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Our opening day hunt came with much anticipation and did not disappoint
Unread 09-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ahhhh...hunting season again! No better smile than on young hunters with their prize.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Inspired by Stan H.
Unread 09-05-2022, 06:55 PM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Inspired by Stan H.

I've read with great interest Stan's accounts of taking dove with a .410. I thought I'd like to try the same. After taking birds with my DH, I decided to break out my new-to-me H&H that has a set of .410 barrels (to go with its original 28 bore barrels). Yesterday I tried some walk-up hunting -- our WMA dove fields were empty of hunters(!) -- and was quickly humbled, taking only a couple of birds.

I went back today with a chair and sat for an hour or so and had some slow, but steady action -- and shot better. I'm still getting used to shooting this gun, but was surprised when I walked off a clean kill at 37 steps (farther than I estimated the shot). It was fun. Thanks, Stan, for the inspiration. I'll never shoot the scores on dove that you have, but it was a nice change and challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2001.jpg (542.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2004.jpg (505.4 KB, 0 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 09-05-2022, 08:29 PM   #20
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,118 Posts

What a beautiful gun to get your feet wet with a .410 on doves with! Be careful ........... they're addicting!

My next goal with a .410 is a limit of 3 woodies. I'm about to load up some tungsten, like the guys are using now for turkeys, and give it a go this duck season. If it'll flatten a 25 lb. gobbler at 60 steps, like I know it will, it will be dog nuts on woodies. Probably shoot clean through them.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: