Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Replacing a flat buttplate with spurred
Unread 02-08-2023, 07:12 AM   #1
Samuel S.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Replacing a flat buttplate with spurred

I have a 20 ga VH (circa 1908 or thereabouts) with a spurred buttplate. It's beautiful, and the gun has been in my family for almost 100 years. I am purchasing a 16 ga. later era gun (1927) with a flat buttplate. Please don't shun me for this question: I am not attempting blasphemy, but would it be possible to inlet a spurred buttplate to replace the flat one (which is chipped, by the way)? I'm not concerned about what this will do to the value (please don't judge --- this will go to a great grandson some day, and continue its journey through the generations, if my wishes are fulfilled). Has anyone here fit a spurred plate to a gun that had a flat plate? I just love the spurred plate and am not a fan of the flat one. Any information would be helpful.
Samuel Studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2023, 07:34 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,641 Times in 4,629 Posts

Sure it would be possible, but it is a whole lot of effort and expense for… what? But you said you font care about altering the gun. So I guess that does not matter. It is your decision. Just dont screw it up or let someone else screw it up. You will be regretting it.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 02-08-2023, 08:12 AM   #3
Samuel S.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Sure it would be possible, but it is a whole lot of effort and expense for… what? But you said you font care about altering the gun. So I guess that does not matter. It is your decision. Just dont screw it up or let someone else screw it up. You will be regretting it.
Thanks Brian. I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in. Anyone with experience doing this, please let me know. I’ve built a couple guns, several guitars and violins and, most recently, a gambrel barn, so I am pretty confident in being able to do this. Just wondering if the original geometry or something I haven’t thought if will be prohibitive. I may chicken out anyway. Any helpful information on the process would be tremendously appreciated.
Unread 02-08-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,893 Times in 4,768 Posts

Sorry, was not thinking when I posted.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2023, 12:03 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,641 Times in 4,629 Posts

Bill, he states it is a later ‘20s gun. Which would not have a spur.
Unread 02-08-2023, 12:14 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks, Brian, I changed my incorrect post.
Unread 02-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #7
78CJ
PGCA Member

Member Info

Not shunning, just a thought. You may not care about the effect on value but a great grandson may look at it and say why did he do that? As stated, it's pretty much a lateral move in utility.

I have my great grandfather's 1886 that a great uncle had rebored from 40/65 to 45/70. I am not sure the reason, whether it was bad pitting or ammo availability but I sure wish it had been re-lined and not bored. I would change it back but they re-stamped it. I cherish it none the less but still would like to have had it original.

Ryan
Ryan Brege is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Brege For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You would have to be a hard core collector to give a darn. It is a great gun with a flat buttplate.
Unread 02-08-2023, 09:15 PM   #9
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,061 Times in 283 Posts

Samuel, I had a 1927 or 8 16ga with the flat buttplate. I left it alone. Changing it would be like cutting the barrels, because I want shorter ones. I've put a spurred plate on others by request. It's not easy, but it's hard, just time consuming, and you have one chance to get it right. Just my opinion, but it's your gun so I won't try to discourage the thought. Lots of experience and help here. I just posted the thought of changing the stock on my Super Fox. I took Brian Dudley's advice along with other's. Kick the thought around and see what others think. Hope you find what your looking for...

Chris, AZ
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2023, 09:24 PM   #10
Samuel S.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I sincerely appreciate the advice. The gun I am purchasing has already been altered somewhat (cosmetically), and I just sort of wanted to emulate the old 20 ga. You’ve all made me think very deeply/reconsider, and I appreciate your replies a great deal. If, however, anyone has actually performed this alteration, from an experienced woodworker’s perspective, I would greatly appreciate any tips. I may not do it anyway, but it’s always fun to learn from others’ experiences ��

Tags
flat butt plate, flat buttplate, spurred butt plate, spurred buttplate