Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Fred Preston.....
Unread 08-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,172 Posts

Default Fred Preston.....

I had a message the other day that Fred Preston had passed away. Did anybody make it to his wake?

Last time I saw him in person was at Roger Giles wake, we had a little drink in the parking lot afterwards out of Roger's last bottle of scotch.

Time before that was when we planned to head down to the Southern together, I'll remember that till the day I die. I made the drive to his house in Ohio for an overnight then a planned early leavetaking to North Carolina the next morning. We got deep into the brown liquor that evening, finished a partial fifth of Early Times then he produced a backup which we finished as well. Fred was a pretty dram proof character and I ain't no slouch myself so we just stayed at it till the booze was gone.

We were both gloriously hung over the next morning, but Fred far worse than myself. He felt so poorly he asked if I'd take him to the hospital just as we were about to get on the road. Made me swear I wouldn't call his wife! He had a cross breed lab that was mean as a striped snake which somehow got into the truck with us as we were leaving. We got to the hospital and they decided he was dehydrated from drinking so they put him on an IV and wouldn't let him go for hours. The nurses all gave us "that look" every time they came into the room I can tell you. Every half hour or so he would want me to go check on his dog. I'd troop out to the parking lot and as I walked up to the truck he would give a snarl like a grizzly bear so I knew he was ok. It was a cool day so there was no threat to his health. I stayed there with Fred for hours because I couldn't get back into the truck without risking my health and I wouldn't have left him anyway.

Finally they decided he was fit for discharge so we strolled out like we owned the place and had a bite of dinner nearby. He decided he should just go home, that he'd had all the excitement he could stand. We rolled into the driveway and his wife was mighty puzzled by our return. He sheepishly gave her the short version of the tale and she proceeded to decide I was a bad influence so I quickly made my exit.

I didn't know what to do, it was late in the afternoon and I was still 12 hours or so from my destination. At the end of his driveway it was left to NC or right back to MI. I lit my pipe and thought a minute, then decided what the Hell and turned left. I knew I wouldn't make it all the way so I called an old ladyfriend that lived about 3 hours from Sanford, she was warm for a visit so I pushed through to there and spent the night. She cooked me breakfast the next morning and I finally arrived at the Southern around noon none the worse for wear.

He and I would laugh about his "hospital hang over" every time we talked after that. I'll miss knowing he was in the world for sure, I wish I'd have kept in better touch with him. After Roger's death we just never seemed to get together anymore as Toledo was about halfway for both of us so a good destination for an afternoons shooting.

Seems like all I do anymore is hear about friends dying or go to their wake. I just went to one on Friday for another shooting friend.....
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,324 Posts

Good story Destry. Sorry about the loss of your friend.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 08-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,358 Times in 4,428 Posts

Good story. Sorry to hear the news
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,433 Times in 1,250 Posts

Yes Destry, I remember Fred and of course ol' Roger Codger. I also remember that weekend. And you arrived no worse for wear? Looked like something the cat dragged in.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,271 Times in 12,388 Posts

A fitting requiem for ol' Fred "Jelly Belly" Preston. What a likable guy he was.

I bought a set of Bernard barrels from him almost fifteen years ago - I've shown them here a couple of times. He had some nice Parkers too. He was a very decent man.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Fred was a great guy, if you met him he was very quiet man, unassuming and would do anything for you. I remember another story about Fred and Sanford, he had driven down with Roger Giles (Roger driving) and old Roger was well lets just say he was dangerous in that Buick Roadmaster station wagon knew only one speed from what I heard from Fred (I'll let Destry tell you about road trips with Roger ) and Fred was not looking forward to the trip back. Well Sunday arrived and there was a knock on our door at 7 am and there was Fred, he looked at me and asked is there any beer left in our cooler, I said yes and he promptly downed three or four in minutes because he said that was the only way he could survive driving back with Roger !

I am going to miss Fred, he was a good man.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,680 Times in 1,864 Posts

Never met the man but that's one funny story. You're a better man than me. I could have never made the drive after all that booze. A long nap would be in order. Sounds like he was a fine chap !
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,880 Times in 4,761 Posts

I guess I should consider laying off the brown stuff if I don't want stories like this told about me. On the other hand, I guess it's a bit late to change my reputation. The best thing I have ever done to save my reputation is taking The Lovely Linda and my Wirehair, Eva, to just about every double gun event in the past decade or more.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,358 Times in 4,428 Posts

Get any doctor in a relaxed setting and they will tell you moderate drinking (1-2 drinks a night) is good for you.
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,271 Times in 12,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Get any doctor in a relaxed setting and they will tell you moderate drinking (1-2 drinks a night) is good for you.

That's just so they won't feel so guilty...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: