Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
tom boryczka
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks, just wanted to bring to everyones attention. Should have looked first, can fit in a thimble what I know about Parkers but Im learnin.
tom boryczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,168 Times in 827 Posts

Hi Tom,

No problem at all - I only know slightly more than you, anyway. But, I post, read - ask questions - and it's slowly sinking in..

My Best to you,

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,168 Times in 827 Posts

And - by the way - WELCOME as our newest PGCA Member, Tom!!! I iust got your Membership Payment - and the servers click your account over as a PGCA Member.......

Many thanks again - and welcome, Tom!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

what can i say? except:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

A GH is advertised as re-case colored, but looks to me more like temper colors from heating. Does anyone see bone charcoal case colors on that frame or know who did the coloring work and how it was done?

Last edited by Justin Julian; 01-03-2012 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: clarification
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

justin: as i recall, only one of the parkers i currently have listed on gunsamerica has had its receiver recolored. what specific guns are you referring too? ed
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ed,
Thanks for correcting me. I edited my post accordingly. I was referring to the GH in particular and wondering what process is utilized to obtain that color pattern, if anyone knows.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

justin: the particular gh that you are referring to had it's receiver recolored by ed lander, an old time gunsmith here in nh. old ed has been a full time general gunsmith since he came home from service in ww2, in 1946! imagine having the services of a gunsmith with over 60 years of experience! we in northern new england are lucky to still have him around to work on our guns.

anyway, he uses a low heat chemical process to recolor shotgun receivers. he uses different chemicals to simulate different factory receiver coloring, depending on the brand and age of the gun. for example, i have a late ithaca 20 ga nid, that old ed also recolored the receiver. it is very well done and is close to ithaca factory work of the period.

unlike the high heat bone charcoal process of recoloring shotgun receivers, old ed never heats a shotgun receiver hot enough to reach critical temperature and thus altering the original factory heat treatment of the receiver metal. keeping the heat below critical temperature avoids the well known problems associated with after market re heat treating of shotgun receivers.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed good View Post
justin: the particular gh that you are referring to had it's receive recolored by ed lander, an old time gunsmith here in nh. old ed has been a full time general gunsmith since he came home from service in ww2, in 1946! imagine having the services of a gunsmith with over 60 years of experience! we in northern new england are lucky to still have him around to work on our guns.

anyway, he uses a low heat chemical process to recolor shotgun receivers. he uses different chemicals to simulate different factory receiver coloring, depending on the brand and age of the gun. for example, i have a late ithaca 20 ga nid, that old ed also recolored the receiver. it is very well done and is close to ithaca factory work of the period.

unlike the high heat bone charcoal process of recoloring shotgun receivers, old ed never heats a shotgun receiver hot enough to reach critical temperature and thus altering the original factory heat treatment of the receiver metal. keeping the heat below critical temperature avoids the well known problems associated with after market re heat treating of shotgun receivers.
:nono :

Did I forget any.....
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

day: i do not know nor care for the purpose of your post. that kind of nonsense may be tolerated elsewhere, but not here. do it again and i will report you to the board.