Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,931 Times in 4,785 Posts

Linda and I offer our sympathy to Nancy and her family. Our days spent together were very pleasant. Now I can claim full title to "PGCA Curmudgeon" rather than sharing it with Ed.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

I don't know if it is something for the internet but his address is listed in the PGCA Membership Roster.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,103 Posts

Yesterday was a sad day indeed ,to lose such a Fine Gentleman ! I had spoken to Ed on a few occasions and he was a wealth of knowledge and always very welcoming ,helpful and pleasant ! I am truly sorry to hear of his passing ,my Condolences to Eds Family ! Sincerely ; Russ Jackson
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

I met Ed only once, but we had numerous telephone conversations. He was generous with his knowledge of the Parker gun and old time American "shooting flying". My condolences to his family and friends.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

A big loss for sure. I had the pleasure two yrs ago of bringing him up to my house and treating him to my seafood pasta and showing him my modest Parker collection when he and Nancy were traveling around Ak in their motor home. He gave me copies of his books enriched me with his extensive Parker lore knowledge. It was a very memorable evening. Nancy had gone south with medical issues and Ed was alone in the motor home next to a local hangar belonging to a neighbor just below me who is an old friend of and who, as a young man, used to rent a house from Ed. I flew in from my project 85mi away and dragged him up to the house for dinner and talk. It seemed an opportunity not to be passed up at the time. I gave him a caribou antler to go with the moose antler Troy had given him and he fabricated a 'moosibou' for his extensive trophy wall on his barn when he got home. He was an avid and successful bow hunter.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

I met Ed twice at the Parker dinner in Easton, MD. The first time he was taking orders for the limited edition of "SHOOTING FLYING AND THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE" I ordered my copy and then one year later met him there again & had it autographed along with my copy of "PARKER GUNS, THE OLD RELIABLE". He presented himself to be the true gentleman that he was. I know that he had some problem with PGCA, but don't know the reasons. I envied him telling about he and Nancy cruising the Bahamas and the Carribean. That has been my dream for as long as I can remember. I extend to Nancy and his family my deepest condolences.

George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Fergus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

To say Ed was generous with his extensive Parker knowledge is a gross understatement! When I was just starting out learning about all things Parker about 10 or more years ago, I called him to simply order a few of his catalog reprints. We talked for over an hour!!!! We talked several times after both on the phone and in person but that first call left a lasting impression on me. May he rest in peace.
Dan Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Ed was a close friend for many years, I'll mourn his passing more than most. Here's a few pictures to illustrate how Ed (I believe) would want to be remembered:

On one of our first trips to Louisiana paddling a pirogue down the bayou.

In the duck blind, ready for an afternoon hunt.

The last time I visited him at his home, shipping out the limited editions of the new book.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,577 Times in 1,673 Posts

I first met Ed at the Vintagers a few years ago when we were just forming the AH Fox Collectors Association, a very nice fellow and supportive of our efforts, he will be missed by everyone in the collecting community.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,619 Times in 2,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lander View Post
he and Nancy cruising the Bahamas and the Carribean. That has been my dream for as long as I can remember. .

George

Do it now, George, do it now. Don't wait until you can't do it anymore. The loss of people we have known for years brings an urgency to our dreams.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: