Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker 20 with Vickers Barrels
Unread 12-31-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
gus babuder
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker 20 with Vickers Barrels

This is my reply to a "new member from Texas", or may be I have more questions than answers:
I too am a new member, recently purchased Parker 20 Ga shotgun, serial No. 61165 and with a "ESC Vickers nickel steel" (stamped on top of barrels)barrels. Barrels are stamped with "XX" and "FINITO" underneath.In one of forums a member indicated Vickers barrels were sold by Atlas Steel from Chicago in 1960-s. But I do not know who fitted my barrels (XX or FINITO??)
Also , there is a "2" above serial No. and a "G" (or "C"??) beneath serial No.
Right barrel has a cyl choke and Left has a mod choke.
In addition there is a screw(bolt) made of brass thru the stock abo ve triggers neatly fitted into stock with hex heads on both sides.
Any comment by a person that knows more will be appreciated.
gus babuder
gus babuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,565 Times in 12,448 Posts

Hello Gus,

The 2 above the serial number and the G beneath it are the grade or quality stamps. Parker shotguns had both a numeral and a letter as grade designations, yours being a Grade 2 or a G Grade. It would have been made with Damascus Steel barrels and the superstition back then was that Damascus or Twist Steel barrels were not safe to shoot with smokeless or nitro powders.... it even says so on ammo boxes even today... (nothing could be further from the truth). Or the original barrels may have been damaged beyond repair. Many folks with old Parkers and other guns with composite steel barrels either had them rebarreled like yours, or sleeved, or hung on the wall or leaned in the closet never to be used again. Somebody chose to keep yours in use - he must have really liked the gun because a new repeating shotgun would have been about the price of sending that Parker out for new barrels.

Enjoy your Parker - it sounds like it has desirable chokes for most upland hunting.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,854 Times in 1,270 Posts

Barrels were also replaced by Armi Sarezzo, and one of the Bernardellis in Brescia; handled by a firm in FL named Hardin and Knight.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

The screws in the head of the stock are most likely for a repair to the stock due to cracking. I have a VHE 16ga skeet gun with this type of repair.
Unread 12-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Hello Gus ,as Dean said sounds like a Great Upland Gun ,at this point it is of little concern but the Parker Gun Serialization Book ,says ,your Gun left the Factory in 1890 as a , Damascus Barreled ,Number Two Grade,No Extras ,Capped Pistol Grip ,16 Gauge with 26" Barrels ! It is probably an O Frame gun and would have been pretty unique at that time with the 26" Barrels !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

sounds like this gun is ready to go afield after being checked out..i would love to have a parker or lc smith in 10 ga with a set of vickers steel barrels and 3 1/2 inch chambers...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
gus babuder
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Hause View Post
Barrels were also replaced by Armi Sarezzo, and one of the Bernardellis in Brescia; handled by a firm in FL named Hardin and Knight.
Thanks for your message regarding "2" meaning grade "G". Now, the question still is WHO re-fitted the 20 ga barrel and was the original barrel 20 or 16 gage? What does "FINITO" mean and also "XX" as stamped on the "new" 20 Gauge Vickers nickel steel barrel?
I met a club member last Sunday at my Club that collects Parkers-"Big Time". I will soon show him my 20 Gauge "beauty" and get his opinion on my gun and report to PGCA accordingly.
I found another Parker at a Pawn Shop-12 Ga with (I presume) original Damascus barrels. The shop owner tells me that this gun has NO TAKE DOWN feature. But a local gunsmith that works on American guns tells me that "there is no such thing", i.e. one should be able to remove fore-end and the barrel like any "normal" brake open shotgun.
Do you have any comments to that? I will continue investigating-as I am a "stubborn" old man with old fashioned approach.
Regards, gus Babuder.
gus babuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,237 Times in 3,277 Posts

"FINITO" is the final "definitive" proof for Italy

XX may be the date code - 1964 I think

there are no Parker doubles that do not take down unless something has been severely altered or damaged. There are however many people selling guns that know little about them
Unread 01-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Hello Gus ,If you go up twp replys ,you will notice ,I posted that according to the Serialization book ,your gun left the Factory as a 16 Gauge .
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote