Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Contact
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #81
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Contact

Richard ; Please contact me at

austin.w.hogan@valley.net

Brst, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #82
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck,

How did it go at the Southern. Did you get more neasurements whle you were there. I am extremely interested in hearing what you found. I very much wish I could have been there, but my wife did not feel well enough to make he trip and I could not leave her here alone. I have been very tied up during the last week with Miriam and he new Brittany pup that we just picked up on Thursday.
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #83
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,059 Times in 1,447 Posts

Sorry to disappoint you Richard but nobody came forward at the Southern to have their barrels checked. I wasn't in the tent constantly but I left my barrel mic there for anyone to use.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
11-gauge Parker's
Unread 05-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #84
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 11-gauge Parker's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr View Post
Richard if you are ever up my way, "30mi south of Roanoke VA." at milepost 163 Blue Ridge Parkway, You could check some of my early guns I have no gauges to check with! Some of interest. Ser # 97-12B?, Ser# 258-12ga? Ser# 1147 14ga, Ser# 1590-12ga? Ser# 2349-12ga? Ser# 3307-12ga? Ser# 3416 2brl set 12ga? Ser#3834 11ga, with letter, Ser# 4412-12ga? As stated some have letters but not many, I am giving these serial numbers from memory but believe them correct without checking. Best Gary

Gary,

I am sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner, but my wife has not been well and I have not been on the Forum for the past few weeks. I see you have a number of very interesting early Parkers. Could you please post the letter for Serial No. 3834?. Also have you checked the diameter of the chambers for this gun?

Thanks,

Richard
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #85
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,866 Times in 1,672 Posts

Richard I am currently in Tenn, will be here till Tuesday once back home I will be able to get that info for you. Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #86
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gary,

Will your travels take you anywhere near Huntsville? If you could drop by I would love to meet you and talk about hammer Parkers and show you some interesting documents. If you have a spare moment, please give me a call (256-337-4082).

Richard

Richard
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #87
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,866 Times in 1,672 Posts

Richard I am hosting a prevost rally here in Tenn, 50 people and the only time I get is right about bed time to answer e=mails, will call when I get back to V.A. Thanks Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #88
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi,
I have an 11 ga. that I am cleaning up a bit. I have had the bores cleaned to a mirror finish. The gun is a strange animal. Great shape, but came to me with a Tiger Maple stock and an unadorned walnut forend. It was made in 1884 and has the more conventional top lever. I have not done anything to the gun, other than cleaning out the barrels. As you mentioned, it will work as a 12 ga.
I'm trying to determine what was original, the Tiger Maple stock or the forend. No checkering on the forend (may have worn off), and looks like 18LPI checkering on the stock. If the stock is not original, it was very well done. Either case it is old. Very substantial gun. Came with stub twist barrels. All serial numbers match. Grade is "T".
Any body know if Parker ever made Maple stocks?
I'm about to send in a letter on it.
Thanks,
Carl
Carl Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #89
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl,

A letter would be useful, but I am wondering why you think it is an 11-gauge. If the barrels have bores that have been honed their dimensions can not be used to establish that the gun is an 11-gauge. Also it is clear that all Parker 11-gauge guns seem to have been made before Serial Number 6000. It would be helpful if you could post photos of the stock, forend and barrels. Also, do the serial numbers match?

Richard
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #90
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Richard, I don't know about the serialization issue. I sent the barrels to a highly respected guy in Oklahoma that specializes in barrels. I told him I bought as an 11 ga. and he verified that it was indeed an 11 ga..I can call him and ask what the original diameter and wall thickness was. He did the barrels in March. At the time he shipped them back to me, he made the comment it would make a great black powder gun with brass shells from RST. I have not pursued that. All the serial numbers match. I'm confused by the stock/forend wood difference. The barrels are 32" and ended up at full and improved.They have a very nice patina with a vivid twist pattern. I'm comparing the size of the bores on the Parker with my very original FoxAE 12 ga, and the parker bore is bigger and has more metal to it. This is NOT a 12 ga.
Richard, I'm not interested in selling it, but I am interested in getting the stock forend issue resolved. I want to match them, but I don't know if it's to Maple or walnut.Again, the maple stock is so well fitted and so old, it makes me believe it might have been made that way. It's a whole lot easier to replace a forend than it is a stock.
I was told that Parker NEVER made a double that wasn't checkered...do you know if that's true?
Thanks for your interest.
Carl
Carl Baird is offline   Reply With Quote