Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #71
Heff
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would say the internet has saturated the market. High grade, high quality guns are still demanding good prices. The run of the mill, average condition guns are now easy to find. I can sit in my chair with my phone and look at a few hundred of them. The best guns for the buck I have purchased in the last couple of years have come from members on this site. Honest guns at honest prices by honest individuals.
Unread 01-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #72
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,196 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
When I worked for my Uncle Sam, Zippos were the thing. We didn't buy fluid, we hung the insert by a wire in a tank of MOGAS in our truck or jeep. By the way, I am still using my Jon-E warmers.
Same here Murph. (Except for the Jon-E handwarmer.)

I spent part of my USN enlistment (1954 - 1957) on a Fleet Oiler/Tanker/Sea Going Gas Station - the USS Allagash AO97.

We refueled ships at sea including aircraft carriers where we would supply them with aviation fuel for their prop driven aircraft.

Aviation fuel worked fine in our Zippo lighters.

Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #73
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

the gas in our old 5 ton trucks did not burn to good..hard to light and smoked like a tar keel......charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #74
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,569 Times in 12,451 Posts

I guess it hasn't bottomed yet...

I was at a gun show in Manchester, NH today and saw a poorly restocked DH 20 ga. with a beavertail forend without the correct reinforced forend loop for sale by a known dealer....

Anyone care to guess on the price?
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................ No?

$11,995

I hope he gets his price - ALL of our guns will increase in value if he does.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #75
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,696 Times in 1,645 Posts

Dean, That dealer must have had his head somewhere the sun don't shine! Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #76
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I should have made a low-ball offer...... but I was afraid he'd accept it.

Unread 01-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #77
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,696 Times in 1,645 Posts

I think that most of us that have been Parker buyers for some time have seen prices go up and down, win sometimes and lose sometimes, I buy usually to enhance my collection sell off a gun to acquire a better condition gun or a rare one.That has always made me ask the question " Which is better a high condition gun or a rare one"? There are several high condition guns around in all grades, but you have to look hard to find a one of a kind! Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #78
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,856 Times in 1,271 Posts

There will always be individuals and "dealers" selling a vintage gun with a "name" who have no clue as to what they are selling, and those buying with no clue as to what they are buying. As said, as the greatest generation passes, leaving guns to those without interest therein or knowledge thereof, there will be more and more guns appearing for sale with prices disconnected from reality...and some at a bargain. Thanks to internet auction sites and collector's forums such as this one, there is no justification for not having a somewhat educated price range targeted for the gun one is seeking.

Relevant story: a buddy was at a small auction and bidding on a damascus barrel Parker hammer 16g against an older lady. She outbid him and bought the gun and he approached her politely afterward and asked why she wanted the gun - for her grandson for turkey hunting! He tried to explain, again politely, that plan might not be wise, which she didn't believe.

Hopefully we can get a report from the upcoming Las Vegas show. I thought the last one I attended was a sad reflection of the aging, and passing, of the "gun guy" generation.
OTOH as that generation passes, their accumulated wealth will go to their heirs, some of whom may share the interest in high grade, high value, collector and using grade guns.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 01-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #79
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

A wise man once told me two things. 1 it's easier to buy a gun than to sell a gun and 2 it's easier to sell a $3000 gun than a $30000 gun. I have found these to be true on more than one occasion.
Unread 01-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #80
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Hause View Post
There will always be individuals and "dealers" selling a vintage gun with a "name" who have no clue as to what they are selling.

This particular dealer knows exactly what he’s selling. I think he may be in over his head on this gun, and he may have made a BIG mistake when he (or his consignor) bought it... and too late discovered his mistake.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: