Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #61
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

The response to using steel in classic doubles may be as simple as opening up chokes, which many do anyhow. Personally, I think we have a long way to go before it gets to that (keeping fingers crossed).
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #62
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

That's the message I also draw from the Roster article. I've heard that some gun clubs are going to steel shot, and some have for years. If we are to believe some of the gun poster messages, which may be overexcited and overheated, there are many so called environmental organizations pushing for lead bans. People may be forced to deal with the steel shot issue sooner or later despite being almost violently opposed to even thinking about it.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #63
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,926 Times in 12,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Dean, are you making fun of my cheerio reloads? For what it's worth they are working perfectly in 3/4 ounce 12ga reloads and allow me to shoot a very nice light loading with whatever wad I have handy.
Actually Pete, No. I think a core of compressible material might mitigate the possibility of ring bulges, etc.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #64
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,047 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Actually Pete, No. I think a core of compressible material might mitigate the possibility of ring bulges, etc.

Dean I beleive the cheerio is reduced to dust in a nano second as the load initially accelerates long before it reaches the choke.

In fact I have tried using multiple cheerios as the sole filler in short 10ga loads with disappointing results. Using 6 cheerios with 1 1/8 ounce loadings seems to produce a large number of functioning squib loads per 25. They break the targets, all wads clear the barrel, but the majority of shells just don't quite sound right. I suspect the cheerios filler is not providing the resistance at the time of ignition that is needed for proper ignition of the load. The star crimps were tight and right with no rattle of shot.

I have come to the conclusion through my own use 1 cheerio in a 12ga wad to shoot 3/4 ounce is fine. 1 cheerio added to fiber filler wad to get shot column where it needs to be in 10ga is fine. Multiple cheerios used in lieu of standard filler wad not so good.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #65
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,926 Times in 12,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
That's the message I also draw from the Roster article. I've heard that some gun clubs are going to steel shot, and some have for years. If we are to believe some of the gun poster messages, which may be overexcited and overheated, there are many so called environmental organizations pushing for lead bans. People may be forced to deal with the steel shot issue sooner or later despite being almost violently opposed to even thinking about it.
Those who are attempting such bans on lead are doing so based on emotion - not science.
After we had the lead shot reclaimed from our trap fileds two years ago, for which my club was paid $65,000- we had the soil beneath the trap fields tested for lead contamination... and there was none. There is no clay in the ground beneath the trap fields which would support the arguement that any contamination would have run off of the surface. Samples were taken 1 foot and three feet beneath the surface and the trap fields have been there for nearly forty years.. One would expect that in the Northeast where there is generally more acid rainfall that there would be lots of lead contamination in places like shooting ranges but that seems not to be the case.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #66
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,047 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Those who are attempting such bans on lead are doing so based on emotion - not science.
Based on emotion not science, the foundation of liberal political policies.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #67
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

...and many other policies and actions, not confined to liberal politics.

We had a similar experience at out local gun club, but the movement toward lead ban continues, if we are to believe the sometimes reactionary gun rags and blogs. Hard to know the truth of what is happening.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #68
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Where we live in Virginia there is an abundance of relics from both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. After a heavy rain a few years back a number of mini balls came to the surface of my vegetable garden. They have a heavy coating of white oxidation which I have been told prevents the leaching of the lead into the soil. To me this supports other observations that trap ranges mined of spent shot have no evidence of lead contamination in the soil. The determining factor in the use of lead is its general toxicity, notwithstanding the evidence that lead shot is not a soil contaminant. IMO
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #69
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,916 Times in 1,316 Posts

I certainly don't know the answer to the steel shot in vintage guns question, but it does seem to be very much like the Damascus barrel query. For many years it was taken as gospel that modern shells should never pass through a Damascus barreled gun. (Just read the warning label on a box of shells.) And consequently Damascus guns were relegated to the status of "wall hanger." Then along comes Sherman Bell and the world changed. Although there are those who still shrink from shooting their "wall hangers", many now believe that using a little common sense and being mindful of your PSI means you can once again enjoy these oldest of Parkers in the field and on the course. Is it possible that the same may hold true for steel shot? Again, I don't know the answer but I do know that everything changes and I'm willing to keep an open mind.
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #70
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

How do they get rid of the lead? Scoop up the top inch of dirt and hall it off?
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote