Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #61
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

got up at 4.30 again eat me a sandwich and took off to the woods.. did not have far to go was hunting on my place close to were my daughter has been hearing this gobbler...was setting on my little chair up in the woods for about 30 minutes before daylight broke. every thing in the woods was busy with spring except for the turkeys..i hunted till 7.30 and a big storm front was acoming in so i cut out for the house with no turkey...and the rain came down.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #62
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

got up bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning was rareing to go..got to the woods and had the decoys set out before daybreak...man was it cold had put on the long handles but even they did not seem to help this morning...i watched that field i was set up on like a hawk but narry a turkey or sound was heard this fine cold morning... when i finally went back to the truck i put my gear up and as i walked around the rear of the truck i looked down and there was a large turkey feather justing laying there like a sign for me telling me that he had been there... charlie
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #63
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i did not hunt this weekend went to a tractor show but ive been getting every thing ready in the truck for some serious hunting these next 3 days...told the wife dont expect nothing out of me these few days because im gonna be gone from daylite till dark..gonna try every tacket i know of to try and get that last turkey...ive got the truck filled with gas all theother things checked and topped off now all i got to do is get a good nights sleep..yow i know how this usally goes but i can always catch up sleeping you know where...thats rite... charlie
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #64
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was up early this morning at 3.45 ..got every thing together lunch water bottles mosquito spray man at the things you have to take to go hunting...i was in the blind with decoys set before daybreak...i was conifident i would at least see or hear something this morning...but no turkey was heard or seen at this locationso i pulled up stakes and left to go to a friends of mines farm...i shoulda been hunting early in the season here...my dad use to work this cattle farm for a doctor so i knew the area well i thought...after i began to hunt i relized i had forgot about as much as i remembered about this 1200 acre farm...i finally chose my hunting site it was after 12.00 and it had really got hot...the moskitos were rough but my bug spray worked ok...i had a beautiful set up a large field with knee high grassit was situated on the side of a large creek...surely this was my place to get that 3 rd turkey...i had been there about an hour when i gave a few yelps a bunch of crows started cawing about the same time a gobbler gave a half gobble like as if the crows were annoying him...i never seen or heard this turkey again...i stayed in this spot till 3.30 it just got so hot i had to find a cooler spot...i hunted till dark in other area s but never seen any thing...i will be up early again in the morning i m going after a gobbler thats been gobbling in front of my house.... charlie
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #65
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was up again at 4.00 a m...i did not get to hear the gobbler that was at my daughters house i guess somebody told him i was gonna be looking for him...i went bach to my truck at 7.30 and went to a large field that a friend owns...i seen 2 big gobblers and had one gobble at me all the other one done was fuzz up and look my way...i should have been here at daylight instead of being at the daughters place...i pulled up stakes here and went to another field...i saw a big jake at about a hundred yards but did not call to him he only had a short beard i wanted a long beard.ha... i also saw a hen later in this field...well tommorrow is the last day im going back to the big field hope to be there set up before daylight..i will hunt here till i get tired of hunting or else limit out...hopefully limit out early... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #66
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was up at 3.00 am this morning..i eat a sandwich and got my gear together and was off to the big field we seen the 2 gobblers in yesterday...i went to the north end of the field and set up the decoys it was still dark i used the flash light to set them up...at 6.00 i was looking through the binonoculars at the south end of the field there was 9 turkeys on that end of the field...i stayed were i was till 10.30there was 3 hens came by visiting my decoys..one old hen really fuzzed up at one of the decoys she really tried to have a conversation with the decoy but the decoy never said a word... i left this blind and went to were the other turkeys had left the field..i set up on the edge of the field it was not long before a big gobbler and a hencame out..that hen would lead that gobbler away from the decoys ever time he made a step in there derections...i watched this gobbler till 1.30 abig helicopter came by low what a racket..them turkeys took off a running out of the field i stayed till 3.00 but never saw them again...i looked at the watch again said im done im gonna call it the end to a good season..never got my 3 rd bird but i had a lot of fun trying...now that you boys season has started i ll leave the turkeys to you boys good luck....charlie
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #67
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Charlie. Your exploits have helped me with my hunting withdrawls this season. This d@#m shoulder is getting better but there ain't no way I could be in the woods. One of these days I'm gonna throw the 10 and the wife in the truck and head for your neck of the woods. It's been a long time sence I've been on the wrong side of the Mississippi river.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #68
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Well Charlie, it is clear to me that you need some help. Not sure just how much help a guy from just a little ways north can be but, I'd do almost anything to get out of the snow. Next year I'll pack up some Parkers and see if you can teach me how to be helpful. Cheers, Jack

PS: I have enjoyed reading this thread a few times. Thanks
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #69
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,267 Posts

Yesterday I got up around 4:45 am and headed up to my son in law's place in Manomet. He abuts over a thousand acres of bogs and woodland and has many turkeys and deer for that matter. I got out of the car, pulled my Matthews bow and gear together and as I was headed around the back of the house, first light was breaking and there, standing less than 20 yards in front of me was a lonely jake! One arrow spent later and he was in the bag and on the way home for a dinner of marinated turkey breast on the grill. It's not always that easy.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #70
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Allen, that's the way they do it on TV. I'm jellous. I can't even look at my bow, or guns until my shoulder heals.