Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #51
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,059 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
By the way, there is no use in copying or recopying the stock books. Commander Gunther already copied them and we have the copies. What has not been done is to transcribe all the serial numbers in the stock books into the serialization book database. The information is there for Chuck to copy, anytime he gets a few minutes.
Not true Bill. There is information that couldn't be copied at the right hand side of the stock books due to the limitation of the width of the copy machine. I would love to photograph all of the stock books, if I could.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2022, 05:13 PM   #52
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,059 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
If the President gets the federal minimum wage up to $15.00/Hr, Chuck can get a $15.00 raise.
Bless you Edgar!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2022, 05:50 PM   #53
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,172 Times in 4,897 Posts

Chuck, obviously I was kidding. However, these guys, Edgar included, should realize that all the serial number and barrel length and other basic information from the stock books is in the PGCA collection and doesn't have to be copied. It is already there.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #54
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,016 Posts

In regards to overall weight, with configurations being identical, will a typical 28ga. 0-frame Parker Bros. gun weigh more or less than a typical 20ga. built on a 0-frame?
Unread 03-02-2022, 07:36 PM   #55
JWH
PGCA Member

Member Info

My 1902 VH 28ga with 28” barrels weighed 5 lbs 15oz from Parker if that helps.

I’ll have to follow up with Mr. Delgrego. He was very adamant about there being only 14 or 19 of this configuration made being as an 0 frame VH 28 gauge with 28”barrels.

When I questioned it being such a low number, he mentioned their large collection of Parker factory books they have and that he and his grandfather used to go back and forth on the exact number of this configuration being 14 or 19. Either way, it’s not a big deal but will be interesting to talk to him more about it and try to get some clarity.

It’s just a field grade gun in an early configuration but it is interesting to hear that Parker “potentially” ……..didn’t make a lot in this specific spec.

On another note this 1904 VH 28 gauge on a 0 frame with 26” barrels sold for 13.6k including buyers premium this past December.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...barrel-shotgun
Joel Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Hackett For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2022, 08:35 PM   #56
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,049 Times in 3,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
The problem isn't with the order book copies, it's with the stock book copies. They were copied on a Xerox copier that was 17" long. The stock books were at least 20" long so information on the right hand side of the ledger wasn't able to be copied. That plus the fact that sometimes the copier lid wasn't all the way down allowing light into the copier resulting in a dark unreadable copy on some Xerox copies.

I photographed all are paper copies with a digital camera so I don't use hard copies anymore. I can zoom in with incredible detail. All this could be resolved with a digital camera. Getting back in is the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Not true Bill. There is information that couldn't be copied at the right hand side of the stock books due to the limitation of the width of the copy machine. I would love to photograph all of the stock books, if I could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Chuck, obviously I was kidding. However, these guys, Edgar included, should realize that all the serial number and barrel length and other basic information from the stock books is in the PGCA collection and doesn't have to be copied. It is already there.
Bill, I'm sensing you don't love me anymore
Maybe I should have said "Photographed" and not copied, because it was Chuck who pointed out that there IS (Despite your opinion to the contrary) valuable information which was not included in the 17" width of the copy machine, that could be added to a database if it could be accessed and PHOTOGRAPHED. You know, like with a camera?
I am not aware of any data in TPS which includes numbers of a particular frame. Maybe that might appear on the portion that didn't fit on the copier ?
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2022, 08:51 PM   #57
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,049 Times in 3,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
In regards to overall weight, with configurations being identical, will a typical 28ga. 0-frame Parker Bros. gun weigh more or less than a typical 20ga. built on a 0-frame?
Greg, I hope this is what you're after:
All 0 frames
28" 28ga. 5lbs 14oz
28" 20ga. 6lbs 1oz

24" 28ga. 5lbs 10oz
24" 20ga. 6lbs 3oz

The two 20ga. guns are DHE, the two 28ga. guns are VH, so ejector fore ends may be heavier than the two 28ga extractor guns. Also, the wood on the DHE may be marginally heavier due to density (?)
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-02-2022, 09:40 PM   #58
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,016 Posts

Yes Edgar, that was exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'm a little bit surprised that the 28's are a little lighter than the 20's. When comparing weights of bi-gauge sets with the smaller bore barrels aboard usually make for a heavier gun. i.e. Parker Repro 20/16 & 28/.410 sets.
Unread 03-02-2022, 10:58 PM   #59
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,083 Times in 1,476 Posts

I own SN 173862. It is a DH 0 frame with 28” barrels. It was made in 1916.
I was recently invited to shoot pigeon and took this gun along with several other vintage doubles.
The Parker 28 performed very respectably with those 28” barrels. I missed some birds, but that was my fault. When I did my job I was tickled to see how 5/8 oz of 6’s and 7 1/2’s dropped these tough pigeons.
These is just something special about shooting passing birds with a 28 gauge.

I have attached a copy of the letter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2BF94B4-F64F-4F0D-AF57-7D7499918976.jpg (512.4 KB, 14 views)
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2022, 11:11 PM   #60
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,705 Times in 411 Posts

Phillip, does the letter say the gun was ordered with 2 3/4 inch chambers? I can't make it out. If so that may be why it was made on a 0 frame.