Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #51
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murphy View Post
Todd, in an earlier post you mentioned that there is a theory that "Skeet"rules led to the demise of the 16ga. I believe that the 3" 20ga was probably more responsible. When that happened, you could get a lighter gun with the same payload by going to the 20ga.
The Skeet rules allow using a smaller gauge in larger guage competition, i.e., 16 or 20 gauge in 12 (ALL) gauge competition. During my active years in Skeet, many shooters used the 20ga. in 12ga. competition.
There are probably lots of contributing factors as it is probably not just one thing, never is. The theory suggests when skeet classifications were being created they did a sort of drop 8 mentality. 12, 20, 28 and then 410(special class). As I understand it the 12 gauge is the anything goes highest limit gauge hierarchy open class, meaning no gauge bigger. Heck you can shoot any gauge lower in it if your that good, they may even let you shoot a .22 short gallery gun. I think at first people did shoot 16 gauge in the 12 category but hey perception was less shot in the pattern was a disadvantage so why do it if your seeking a competitive edge in competition. There just was no classification for 16 gauge and it got regulated to hunting gun category. You could not shoot a 16 gauge in the 20 gauge classification, so there is a void. Everyone completey forgets little Annie Oakley shooting 4,700 targets out of 5,000 with a pair of 16 gauge double barrels.

I think what you mentioned is that 20 gauge shooters thinking more shot in the pattern would be an advantage as it would like shooting a 16 gauge in the 20 gauge class with 3 inch shells. I don't think it works that way due to shot stringing, recoil management etc. etc. but that was perception. Essentially everyone just started being weened off the 16 gauge. I also think with game numbers down no real reason at all to shoot 10 gauges since it pretty much got left out of skeet all together hurt that type gun interest as well.

Hate to say it but I almost think sporting clays is probably a big contributing factor for the slide in sxs interest and I like sporting clays. Even have a Ruger 12 gauge sporting clays gun that I really like. I think sporting clays and so called push to O/U's with screw in chokes started the weening process in the late 80's and early 90's. It wasn't planned thing it just evolved.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 09-03-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #52
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,168 Times in 4,895 Posts

Two points to add, or possibly contrast with, Todd's post. The NSSA World All-Bore (12 gauge) championship has been won with 16 and 20 gauge guns. You don't need a 12 gauge load to compete at the highest levels of skeet. The same event has been won with side by side guns when over unders and automatic shotguns were also competing. A significant number of NSSA competitors hold a higher average in 20 and 28 gauge competition than they hold in the 12 gauge event.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote