Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-10-2024, 12:49 PM   #51
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,277 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Interesting. Elaine and I have been “gathering stones” from our hunting trips for years. We have enough now to do some kind of landscape project.
Garry, Most of mine are pretty small. I suppose if I had my Sherpa along to carry them I would have collected larger ones.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2024, 12:57 PM   #52
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steingraber View Post
Garry, Most of mine are pretty small. I suppose if I had my Sherpa along to carry them I would have collected larger ones.
Ha! Elaine has been claiming she is treated like a Sherpa for years. Please don’t encourage her!

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2024, 02:38 PM   #53
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,313 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Rocks. About 25 years ago I started picking up a small rock to bring home from most hunting trips. I use them as paper weights, ball markers on the golf course and just enjoy picking one up now and then to remember.
I used to do that on my fishing trips, then I'd take a sharpie and note the date and the place on it. But I don't travel much anymore, and where I fish now I'd just have to bring home a handful of mud .
Unread 07-10-2024, 05:41 PM   #54
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,348 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Rocks. About 25 years ago I started picking up a small rock to bring home from most hunting trips. I use them as paper weights, ball markers on the golf course and just enjoy picking one up now and then to remember. My most treasured collection is my collection of friends and I am always searching for my next one. I have found that good friends enrich my life in immeasurable ways, cost virtually nothing but are of great value.
I have done this for years, as well. I keep them in a rock garden just off the back porch
One year, I found a crystal outcropping sticking out the side of a rocky hillside, and decided it needed to come home.
This was at the end of a deer hunt in Northern Nevada.
I couldn't pry it loose, so walked off about 50-60 yards and put a 160 gr Nozler Partition in just to the side of it.
The stone came loose, and is in my "collection".
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2024, 08:01 PM   #55
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,418 Times in 4,448 Posts

I’ve got an accumulation of a lot of sporting memorabilia. From art to decoys to shell boxes to lots of stuff.
Setter Opener
Unread 07-10-2024, 08:44 PM   #56
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Setter Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Houde View Post
I always thought this was cool. My Dad bought it for his Dad many, many years ago. When my Grandfather died, my Dad gave it to me. It now resides in my gun cabinet.
Alfred…..From the early fifties to 1986 my father opened up hundreds of Carling Black Labels with the setter opener. In all my years of digging through antique shops I had never seen another till a couple of years ago and picked it up for my son. He already knows the story of mine and he will, among other things, use it when I am gone. Every darn time I use it I think of all those Black Labels and my Dad. Yours is only the third one I ever saw. Thanks for posting that…..

The Yellow Labrador opener is from 1980…. bought at the Old Forge Hardware Store In Old Forge, New York
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0432.jpg (507.7 KB, 3 views)
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marty Kohler For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2024, 10:17 PM   #57
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,348 Times in 1,153 Posts

I also collect German Shorthairs, but only in pairs.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-11-2024, 12:48 AM   #58
Robert Delk
Forum Associate

Member Info

Catalogs of all kinds,old fly reels,salmon flies,vises,woodworking tools,figured lumber,folk art furniture,antlers,horns and many,many books.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Delk For Your Post:
Unread 07-11-2024, 07:05 PM   #59
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,445 Times in 694 Posts

Antique folding (pocket) knives; and for fixed blade knives: butcher, chefs, and cleavers; and related books and catalogues.

Vintage fishing boat photos, and recorded interviews of many of the people that worked on them.

“Curated" trout and salmon flies that were my father's (1916-1993), some still in their unopened packages.

Anchors (how far would I have to travel before I found another anchor collector?).

I still have stored in steel ammunition boxes the matchbooks that my brother and I collected in our youth (the baseball cards typically disappeared long ago).