Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #51
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

When we did the Movable Feast trip to Paris in 1982 all the places were there. We even went to Paris from Stuttgart on the then version of the Orient Express. We were usually smashed by 3 p.m. It was a blast. Can't do that stuff any more.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #52
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
When we did the Movable Feast trip to Paris in 1982 all the places were there. We even went to Paris from Stuttgart on the then version of the Orient Express. We were usually smashed by 3 p.m. It was a blast. Can't do that stuff any more.
What a trip! Knocking about Europe when young is wonderful. I did it just after I returned from the VN War. Did it solo, mostly by rail in Britain and the Continent. Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Pompeii, Florence, Pisa. Survived on bread, wine, mustard, and cheese. It would have been a nicer trip with a beautiful women, but then what isn't?
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #53
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,461 Times in 2,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Now I'm trying to figure out who is going to "pen" their descriptions of my sexual prowess. Hopefully, my feminine contacts will not be as you describe as "women who wrote about such things". We seldon think that these things will be recorded in writing.
Bill, I hope the lovely Linda pens your descriptions or you might be in trouble. Will I find it in the fiction or non-fiction section of the library?
(Sorry, I just could'nt help myself).
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #54
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hemingway, who did not have the best eyesight, as did TR, hated scopes. He removed one from his Griffin and Howe '03 30/06, a rifle that he loved, and shot for the remainder of his life. As the story goes it was stolen from Jack's home in Ketcham, Idaho.

I like peep sights too and while I have a scope, a Leupold 4 pwr on my Ruger 77 in .257 Rbts, I like to shoot thru or over iron sights. Most game is shot close. No need for a scope.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #55
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,605 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Lien View Post
Here is a link to some period footage of Hemingway and pals hunting in Idaho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDs3lg5ZoCs

Patrick
Patrick; that was great.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Larry
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #56
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I purchased a Parker VHE 20 ga. with a Miller trigger in Alabama a few years ago. The shield read EH. The authors of Hemingway's Guns did their research but could not find any reference of him ever owning such a Parker. I was also told that two Parkers once owned by him were sold from the family but don't know anything of what they were or who purchased them. Anyone know of any way to add to the mystery of the EH 20 ga.? I probably need to order a letter on it.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #57
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,492 Times in 12,442 Posts

Yep, you probably need to order a letter on it.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Not "Jack" but Patrick had the G&H 30-06 Spfld.
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #58
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Not "Jack" but Patrick had the G&H 30-06 Spfld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
Hemingway, who did not have the best eyesight, as did TR, hated scopes. He removed one from his Griffin and Howe '03 30/06, a rifle that he loved, and shot for the remainder of his life. As the story goes it was stolen from Jack's home in Ketcham, Idaho.

I like peep sights too and while I have a scope, a Leupold 4 pwr on my Ruger 77 in .257 Rbts, I like to shoot thru or over iron sights. Most game is shot close. No need for a scope.
John Hadley Nicantor Hemingway, first and only son born to Ernest and Hadley Hemingway- aka- "Bumby" and of course Jack- in his later adult years he lived near the Salmon River area in Idaho and was a factor in TU and fisheries conservation. He was an avid fly fisherman all his life, even parachuted into Nazi occupied France with the OSS with a 3 piece fly rod in case strapped to his backpack, a gift from hotelier Charles Ritz.

Patrick, first born of the two sons Pauline Pfeiffer Hemingway (heiress to the Richard Hudnut cosmetics fortune) provided husband Ernest, was the avid hunter, like his father, and later became a PWH in Africa, under the guidance of Phillip Percival. Page 81- Hemingway's Guns: "Two years after his death, Papa's treasured .30-06, G&H Serial No. 956, was one of the two rifles and two shotguns that Mary (Welsh) Hemingway consigned to A&F to be sold. The A&F ledger indicates that its selling price would be $!50. However, Mary withdrew the Springfield two weeks later and then kept it at the house in Ketchum until she finally gave it to Patrick. ---- It was stolen from his home in Montana in the late 1970s."
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #59
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

There were a lot of guys with the initials EH besides Ernest Hemingway. I've got an uncle named Estel Hoffard, maybe it's his gun......

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #60
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

You're killing me! If Mr. Hoffard would like a Parker with his initials already engraved and some swamp land in North Texas, I can make him a sweet deal.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote