Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #41
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,272 Times in 843 Posts

Given my work, both in private sales and with the consulting I do with Morphy's I can confidently say that I handle as many or more Parker shotguns in a given year than anyone else in the country. Between buying, selling, appraising, and studying, I am in the market literally 365 days a year and many times 24 hours a day. Just like any market, it changes from minute to minute, day to day.

The guns that are the softest today are the very ordinary and mundane guns. Why would anyone stretch for a VH 12ga with 30" barrels that has less than 50% condition? Literally there are hundreds and hundreds of them for sale at this very moment all throughout the country. Just like there are literally tens of thousands of beef cattle for sale all around the country today. These guns, just like the cows, bring a certain price and that is it. There is no upward momentum for them. There never has been- and why should there be? There is plenty of supply that is met with very little demand.

The greatest change I see in the market today is NOT that there is a lack of new buyers, however, there is a lack of uneducated buyers who run around buying like chickens with their heads cut off. Today's savvy buyers are hiring people (like me) to help them buy and to vet things to make sure they are buying at a reasonable value for money. In 2019 I made several new clients who have given me their wish lists and I help them find what they are looking for. If possible, I source their wish lists and stand behind what I am selling them, with my reputation and checkbook on the line to back it up.

In the days before the internet, the visible supply was much lower than it is today so there was a perceived scarcity for certain things. With the internet, you are able to see a much broader swath of the available supply, and thus common guns that were regionally rare are not perceived as rare anymore (think BHE grade 12 bore guns in rural mid-west). There are probably 6-10 BHE 12ga for sale right now on the net as where 20 years ago a guy could go to 6 gun shows a year and only see 1.

In conversations with my friend Steve Barnett, we both commented how 2019 was the very best year we had ever had in the gun business. Selling the more rare and collectible guns is as good now as it has ever been. Selling pedestrian guns, for which there was never much demand, is not hard today, its simply a matter of finding the right price at which it will sell. The run of the mill VH 12ga gun isnt going to bring what it brought 6 months or 6 years ago, and neither is your Amazon stock or your feeder cattle.

In the May 2020 Morphy Auction we will have Carl Balderson's estate collection of fine Parker shotguns. Carl collected a number of wonderful small bore guns, many with rare features. Many of these guns are in fine original condition. It is certainly going to be the greatest offering of fine American Sporting Shotguns in the last 5-10+ years. I am completely confident that the guns will be met with plenty of demand given their quality, condition, and configuration.

The very best guns are still selling with ease, and so are the mundane guns. The simple fact of the matter is that on the mundane guns, the only reason to compel a buyer is through a low price. The best guns speak for themselves and their realized prices continue to do the same.
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #42
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,161 Times in 1,091 Posts

There are fewer and fewer of us old f*rts, and most of the "new" hunters (at least the ones I see) seem to be into "faster, higher, farther"; that could explain a down market for good, shootable guns.
Unread 01-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #43
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,479 Times in 12,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
There are fewer and fewer of us old f*rts, and most of the "new" hunters (at least the ones I see) seem to be into "faster, higher, farther"; that could explain a down market for good, shootable guns.

And that’s where Josh’s “uneducated buyer” enters the picture.

I will say however, we don’t ‘need’ Parkers while we do need beef cattle.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #44
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,267 Posts

I'd like to find an Amazon stock for one of my Parkers.....
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #45
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

i will have this to say there is very few parker guns in my area steve barrnet has all of them around here...i could not afford a high grade parker but those low dollar guns is the ones i m interested in...not to many 500 dollar parkers out there....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #46
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I can only say that I've had three Parkers for sale at an Alaska gunshop for a year and have not heard a word from the shop. They're used to the "high prices for guns in Alaska" program and can't seem to figure out how to move them.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #47
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,321 Times in 1,146 Posts

Probably my fault. I got into the stock market in the 90s, the market crashed. Got into real estate, and construction in the mid 2000s - crashed em both. And now Parkers?
I jumped out of my office window, but the ground was only three feet below.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #48
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,267 Posts

Ill take a clean vh or vhe any day of the week. Just as effective on game as any higher grade and for a lot less money. Dont need the fancy, smanchie ones
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #49
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,272 Times in 843 Posts

One more thought on the gun situation. If you want an investment, please go to your local bank and buy a CD. If you want beef, buy a feeder steer. If you want something tangible that you can use and enjoy, that you dont have to feed, you dont have to worry about breaking its leg in a groundhog hole, you dont have to worry about it dropping dead for no reason at all, or you dont want to worry about it getting eaten by wolves, then consider buying a nice Parker shotgun.
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Josh Loewensteiner For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #50
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,367 Times in 4,432 Posts

Yesterday I helped a young man, who is a senior in college and just bought his first Parker which is an early Damascus GH 12, measure his barrel thickness. He is all enthusiastic about it and was going to shoot it today. Says he is going to join PGCA and get a letter. He already checked and records are available

You get one, you get a few more and soon there are many.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote