Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #41
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Thanks Russ !
Will you share it’s research letter with us?

By the way, that’ll make a dandy grouse gun too !

Thank You Dean ,I agree it will be a Dandy for the Grouse woods but around here with the Poor Grouse Population ,I could take a Walking Stick sorry to say ! I am going to post two pics. ,I think the way they finished the checkering on these straight grip Parkers is so nice I thought I would post this ! Also as per request the letter also ! I wish this gun had more info. ,The Gentleman I purchased the gun from gave me alot of info. into the second purchaser which was his " Very Prominent Uncle " and I was hoping for the Original Purchaser information and the seller was going to try and help me out with local info. if we could have known this information !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04798.JPG (162.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04803.JPG (159.2 KB, 22 views)
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #42
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,006 Times in 12,593 Posts

Thanks Russ.

Try looking up your serial number in the G&H records for A&F guns. I think you can find that list on our PGCA website.

Sorry Russ - I just checked and 238599 isn't in the G&H records... that's too bad.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #43
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,121 Posts

Thank You Dean ! I had already looked ! I am surprised it didn't even list a Hardware Store or anything !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #44
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
Good Morning Harold , I hadn't realized the Washington show was going on yesterday and today is Fathers day and we are looking forward to our Daughter coming for the day so I won't be going today either but it doesn't sound as if I missed much but a long drive there ! I started getting on the pins and needles after about day six !:rotf but fortunately it arrived safe and sound !
I don't think I could have took it- waiting on a gun that nice and scarce. I don't have much faith in the mail these days. It took almost a month to get two factory letters from Harrisburg to Deep Creek MD(only 2 hours away and certainly not Mr. Bishops fault)) I've had good luck with FedX in getting guns and other items in three days or less. Is the Washington show your talking about in Pa? I've never been to that show but am within a couple hours of distance if its worth attending. I pretty much only attend the Ohio Gun Collectors show now that I have been going to for over 40 years.
John Bastiani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Bastiani For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #45
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
Thank You Dean ! I had already looked ! I am surprised it didn't even list a Hardware Store or anything !
I was comparing letters on your VHE-28ga. skeet and my DHE 28 ga. skeet and noticed that my gun has an earlier SN of 238134 and was completed on October 1936 and your gun(238599) was completed in November of 1935. The engraving must have taken longer to complete. Also noticed that they charged $217.30 for a DHE with a single trigger and $129.00 for a VHE with a single trigger. The trap modified forends were alot closer in value as they charged $17.82 for the DHE and $14.85 for your VHE. Other than that my letter reads almost idenical to yours as its a 26" barrel and straight grip as well. I guess most of the Remington Parkers don't list most of the specs like the earlier Parker Guns. My 20 ga. Trojan that was made in 1926 and the letter list: LOP-Drop at heel-chamber length and weight. I wish Remington would have included all this info like Parker did but I guess I shouldn't complain and be glad that all three of my Parkers letter. Also: My DHE doesn't list who the gun was ordered by either although my real late GHE list the company it was ordered by and the date Parker shipped it.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Bastiani For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #46
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

John

The Washington, PA show is held at the county fairgrounds about 3-4 times in normal years. And although it’s been decades since I attended the Ohio Collectors shows, I feel safe in saying it isn’t anywhere near that level for quality of arms displayed/ for sale. Ohio used to be very good. Occasionally something shows up of interest, a few years ago I did find a nice Trojan 20ga at Washington’s show, and this April I came across a P&W 800 28 ga that was discounted enough to lure me in.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #47
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,006 Times in 12,593 Posts

Here's the letter for my VHE 28 ga. Skeet gun. There are also great A&F records for it as well.

March 25, 2019

Hello Mr. Romig,

Parker shotgun, serial number 236912, was completed on March 16, 1935. According to the Remington IBM Card Book No. 5, it was a VHE hammerless, 28-gauge with 26” Vulcan Steel barrels and a single trigger. The price listed in the 1935 price list for a VHE grade with single trigger was $129.00

According to Stock Book No. 82, the gun was a VHE 28-gauge on the 00-frame size with a trap modified for-end and a single trigger. The stock configuration was a straight grip. The stock dimensions, chokes, and butt treatment are not listed in the stock book. There was an additional charge of $14.45 for a trap modified for-end. This gun is one of twelve consecutive 28-gauge guns, all configured the same. Six were VHE’s, three were GHE’s and three were DHE’s.

According to the Remington IBM Card Book No. 5, the gun was listed as being one of the guns at Remington Arms on December 9, 1942 to be reconditioned. The gun is listed as a VHE 28-gauge Skeet gun with 26” barrels. The expected sale price was $124.40.

Parker Bros., Remington Arms Company Inc. and others repaired and reconfigured guns as a major part of the gun trade. Over the years, this Parker may have undergone changes to suit its owners, either at the factory or other competent facility. Complete factory return and repair records do not exist therefore our research team cannot comment, report, or have any responsibility for work performed. It is important to note that those Parker records remaining are hand written and show considerable fading from their age. The research committee has done its best to interpret and report our findings in answer to this request and assumes no responsibility for the recorded accuracy or other work completed.

Sincerely,

Chuck Bishop
The Parker Gun Collectors Association Inc.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 236912 7.jpg (498.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2448.jpg (477.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2455.jpg (495.6 KB, 4 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #48
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,495 Times in 4,471 Posts

That is way cool!

Both of those guns would make great woodcock guns. Quail too
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2021, 09:08 PM   #49
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,209 Times in 4,912 Posts

I think we all know that Parker order books end in 1919 and stock books, IBM cards and A&F records are all that exist after that. Stock books and IBM cards seldom give information about the original purchaser. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes not. My .410 skeet was purchased from the nephews of the original owner/purchaser, but no Remington or Parker records mention him. I got luckier with my 20 gauge skeet. The gun was purchased from a skeet shooter who was a Remington distributor, better provenance than my .410.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2021, 09:57 PM   #50
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I think we all know that Parker order books end in 1919 and stock books, IBM cards and A&F records are all that exist after that. Stock books and IBM cards seldom give information about the original purchaser. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes not. My .410 skeet was purchased from the nephews of the original owner/purchaser, but no Remington or Parker records mention him. I got luckier with my 20 gauge skeet. The gun was purchased from a skeet shooter who was a Remington distributor, better provenance than my .410.
Parker 410 skeet-One of my dream guns! I wish A+F had records for my guns-especially since all three are in A+F cases.