Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,483 Times in 2,504 Posts

On the top shelf of a closet that noone noticed? Are you kidding me?You gentlemen truly amaze me and keep me in awe with your knowledge of things Parker. I could read this stuff all day. Don't stop unless it is to replenish your supply of an amber liquid.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #42
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,986 Times in 4,808 Posts

Well, if the Roosevelt Room is temporarily shut down this would be good time to move the Big Five Parkers into the Petersen Room where they belong. Thanks for the update, Kevin.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #43
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,040 Posts

There is no room in the Peterson Room for any more guns at this time. The former contents of the gun cabinets in what will become "Teddy's Room" are gone, or as in the favored parlance of all museum curators, "This exhibit has been temorarily removed." Things are being shuffled around at the museum - even the Holland & Holland "Civil War Centennial Series" guns are all alone in a back alcove in their lovely case that H&H built for them. Stay tuned....
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
George Lane
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,293 Times in 862 Posts

Default George Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
Thanks, Kevin.
Where can I learn more about him? He did custom upgraded checkering on two guns I have. He brought DHE checkering up to BHE and did a very nice job

George Lane joined Parker Bros. in 1901 as a checkerer and took a sort of 'leave of absence" (approved by his boss and Parker Bros.) in 1908 to investigate and perfect his skills in painting, photography and wood carving. He somehow engineered a job for 8 or 9 years as a personal chauffer to a widow to a bigwig with International Silver Co., which of course was centered in Meriden at the time. He apparently spent his idle time improving his craft at these three pursuits.

Around 1919 he returned to Parker Bros. and a few years after that took over as checkering contractor. Unfortunately for Remington, when they moved the Parker works to Ilion from Meriden around 1937, Lane did not accompany the move. When it became apparent after the move to Ilion that Remington needed a master checkerer (some engravers actually did the work from about 1938-1940), Lane fabricated a set of tools identical to his own used at Parker Bros. for use on the AA and A-1 Special grade guns and sent them to Ilion.

Bob Runge told me that when the "Lost Invincible" was restocked by the Del Gregos, they used some of George Lane's original checkering layouts to exactly duplicate the pattern and execution. Bob himself did the carvings.
Kevin- Thanks so much on the Lane backstory. Would you consider a Parker Pages piece. See photos in a new thread about to be started by me.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote