Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #41
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
Steve,

You mentioned there are few Parkers at guns shows in your area. And prices are everywhere. I would suggest looking here for Parkers for sale that are listed here first before they go on one of the auction sites. There are very nice guns for reasonable money offered for sale. Some real bargains. The descriptions are usually very detailed and include the critical wall thickness measurements, choke measurements, length of pull and drop. The guns from my experience are just as described and in my opinion these members are a source to be trusted. But you've got to be quick when they appear on the for sale section if you are interested in buying one of them.

While you ask about a Trojan as compared to the VH (or PH for that matter), I would always for the same or close money go with the higher grade gun. The metal work, metal hardware on the forearm, higher grade wood, dog's head buttplate, and finer checkering are certainly more appealing in my opinion. And usually lighter even in the same frame size. But there were less than half as many utility grade Trojan's made so one in good shape is a true find.
Jerry, I think your advice is good advice. I'm not in a hurry to buy something new and I have some very nice shotguns already and I'm enjoying shooting them. Nor am I into high grade guns, I just don't want to lay out that kind of cash, but I like nice shooting guns. Truthfully, my GH is a little too ancient. I like it and I shoot it, but I'm still looking for a more shootable Parker. By shootable I mean a higher comb and open chokes. I like a 14" LOP or close to it. Sure, I'll change my mind if I see the gun that I really want. So I'm waiting. I am enjoying it.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #42
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,014 Times in 3,229 Posts

I received a 1937 Parker catalog for my birthday from a very good friend. It's stamped on the cover "Haskell G. Richardson", who, I believe, was a Parker salesman. My friend bought it from Mr. Richardson's daughter.

On page 3, it states: "All Parker guns are hand fitted, but naturally as the grades advance, a still higher quality of workmanship is demanded from the fitters and other highly specialized artisans whose handiwork is synonymous with PARKER QUALITY"
"The addition of fancy stocks and beautiful engraving is not alone responsible for the advance in prices from one grade to the next higher. More accurate hand fitting is of course to be expected........."

It has always been my belief that all grades embodied quality in their manufacture and finishing, but it surprises me somewhat that they made the distinction that 'quality' went up with the grades. My dad owned several guns in the top tier of grades, but, perhaps wisely, I never opened them up. I have opened up a few hammer guns to clean or inspect the locks, but it's been pretty much my conception that even my V grade guns were built to an exceedingly high level of quality. They close with the distinct Parker 'click', just as nicely as my BHE.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: