Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #41
SantosBowers
Forum Associate

Member Info

When I first purchased my hunting rifle, I was unaware that even cartridges could be of poor quality. I had purchased ammunition of poor quality. There is a lot of soot in the barrel after use. Chunks of unburned powder appear all the time, and the entire barrel is an inch sooty. I had to use gun oil for cleaning and lubrication. I liked the WD-40 oil the best. After so much torment, I changed my source of ammo purchases. Now I only use https://bulkmunitions.com/buy-ammo/h.../380-acp-ammo/. I am very satisfied. I think you will find this information useful.

Last edited by SantosBowers; 10-11-2022 at 05:54 AM..
SantosBowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2022, 05:37 PM   #42
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,169 Times in 4,896 Posts

Like Chuck, I use Vaseline and 5-W-30. Oh, sorry, I haven't finished the can of 10-W-30 I started using in 1970. I have used some techy oils and greases over the years, but only if they are on the bench when I'm cleaning guns. I'm just finishing up some oil in squeeze bottles that I used in the Army and filling them with my old reliable 10-W-30. Oil is oil and steel will not rust if it is rubbed on a gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #43
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,719 Times in 2,584 Posts

FYI, some guy on ShotgunWorld did an extensive study on lubricants/protectants for firearms. Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads...uation.398836/
Unread 10-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #44
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,105 Times in 2,083 Posts

Wow Daryl, that was quite a test.
Unread 10-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #45
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,290 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
FYI, some guy on ShotgunWorld did an extensive study on lubricants/protectants for firearms. Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads...uation.398836/
That's really good info. I'll be ordering some Hornady 1 shot, Frog Lube and WD 40 Specialty today. I was a little surprised I didn't see any Lubriplate products in the test. It's a local company and my cousin used to run the warehouse so I've used their grease for a long time.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #46
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,184 Posts

I've been very pleased with Eezox for certain gun parts such as ejectors and trigger parts now, for several years. Hinge pins and knuckles get Lubriplate, sparingly. Clenzoil is working very well for me as a wipe down on the exterior, and (supposedly) won't harm the wood. RIG will always be my go to for long term bore protection. Old formula Hoppes #9 as a bore solvent.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #47
Wyatt Neely
Forum Associate

Member Info

CLP is a good general purpose lubricant. In some modern semi-auto guns, synthetic engine oils such as Mobil 1 can actually work well. For some components, a light coat of of grease can help, as long as it is not a place that catches too much gunk.

For break over shotguns, I put grease on the hinge pin and fore end latch. I also spray some CLP on the locking lug for the barrel, and the ejectors or extractor. For a bolt action rifle, a light coat of CLP on all the mechanical bits should work well enough. On handguns, I like to grease the slide rails of semi auto, and the locking bolts of revolvers, and put oil everywhere else.
Wyatt Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2022, 10:09 AM   #48
ED J, MORGAN
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

G 96 easy to use and does not hurt stock finish.
ED J, MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ED J, MORGAN For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #49
John Bastiani
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
I've been very pleased with Eezox for certain gun parts such as ejectors and trigger parts now, for several years. Hinge pins and knuckles get Lubriplate, sparingly. Clenzoil is working very well for me as a wipe down on the exterior, and (supposedly) won't harm the wood. RIG will always be my go to for long term bore protection. Old formula Hoppes #9 as a bore solvent.
I basically use the same procedure as you. Clenzoil for general cleaning and a light coat of Rig Grease to finish. I also hit the bores on shotguns and rifles with wet patches of hoppes first then run a few patches thru to dry. I always run a couple of patches of rig grease in the bores(shotguns and rifles)to finish. As far as the hinge pins go-I like a product called Pro Gold Lubricant. The rig grease would probably work as well.
John Bastiani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Bastiani For Your Post:
Unread 10-11-2022, 01:58 PM   #50
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,283 Posts

Nothing quite like Sperm Whale Oil. It worked then...it works now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8762.jpg (321.6 KB, 1 views)

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: