Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #41
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,555 Times in 506 Posts

Smile

I like the idea and as far as opinions go they are just that.I also know that alot of people look at blue book guides for the price they think the gun is worth. They are just a guide and the last time I checked blue book of gun values never or can't buy a gun but the man standing in front of you with cash can. So that may be what your gun is worth that particular day.Thanks Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good idea.....
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #42
RDH
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Sounds like a good idea.....

I see a lot of threads that ask for members to appraise the value of a Parker, including the thread below. This thread shows the kind of discussions that are likely going to show up more often than the members giving an accurate, consensus appraisal of the value and the original poster thanking everyone for their help. Page 3 is where everything starts to go wrong.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7911
Rick Henley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #43
Alex Dade
Forum Associate

Member Info

As the originator of the mentioned thread above, here's my opinion:

- Great idea, but opinions are just that - opinions, and they should be taken as such
- We need to be careful about how we express them. If we say "looks like the barrels have been shortened" that's fine, but if we were to say "who the hell butchered this otherwise nice gun" someone may take offense

The key is the spirit of the thing. I, myself was the victim of my own sensitivity about my gun. It's an easy thing to fall prey to. Having said all that, if someone can't take opinions, they shouldn't ask for them. If someone reacts like that we should all say "oh well....you asked."

And by the way, I'd recommend everybody avoid the use of the word "appraisal" when asked -- for reasons mentioned above.

The purpose of our forum is to have fun, learn and appreciate these fine historical firearms. Let's just enjoy them and not get too caught up in the legalities.

My two cents.
AlexDade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexDade For Your Post: