Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #41
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree Bill. Direct and circumstantial evidence points to guns maybe stamped with skeet chokes at the 1935 mark if not maybe some even in 1934. They may have had some in stock prior to 1935 as spec guns. Pete's marketing brochure is reportedly from 1935, so that would make sense as part of ramp up unless skeet guns were always a costumed ordered affair.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #42
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,055 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
I agree Bill. Direct and circumstantial evidence points to guns maybe stamped with skeet chokes at the 1935 mark if not maybe some even in 1934. They may have had some in stock prior to 1935 as spec guns. Pete's marketing brochure is reportedly from 1935, so that would make sense as part of ramp up unless skeet guns were always a costumed ordered affair.
I gave the details of the PGCA letter and my gun in an earlier post. It is stamped Skeet In and Skeet Out, it has no evidence of ever being refinished. I bought it from the grandson of the original owner who said his grandfather used it to hunt grouse until age 94. It has quite a bit of carry wear and very little mechanical wear which seems to go with what I was told.

Here is the back of that Remington Skeet Gun advertisement. There is a 6 35 in pencil in the upper right and the lower right it has 1935, American Medicinal Spirits Corp. There is also a 1935 in the address on the Remington Ad side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0830181559-1.jpg (514.1 KB, 6 views)
Unread 08-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #43
Heff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Steve, maybe you could dig out that Parker Pages article that says that skeet guns were not stamped with skeet choke markings until 1937. I have two skeet marked guns made in February and September 1935 that have never seen the inside of Del Grego's shop. I think we can find others this early. Mine can't be the only two made before 1937 and stamped skeet.
My 16 gauge was made in 36 I believe, and is marked skeet in/out
Unread 08-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #44
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,180 Times in 4,899 Posts

We will never flush out all of the spuriously marked skeet guns, but we can start by identifying high condition guns with fresh colors, 28" barrels, checkered stock cheeks, and other signs of work by the shop that built the fakes. No big deal. They're still nice guns if you don't pay too much.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #45
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,945 Times in 12,569 Posts

Unfortunately the factory records are not available to the collecting public on the vast majority of those “fakes”. Consequently, unless a potential buyer knows exactly what to look for, a lot of folks could be burned.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #46
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A Del Grego skeet conversion is a great gun and a good buy if you don't pay too much.
Unread 09-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #47
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,945 Times in 12,569 Posts

I agree Bill and I emphasize your caveat.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #48
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

My VH was made into a skeet gun, probably in the ‘40’s. It has a replacement stock with modern dimensions and a beaver tail. I hate the look of the beaver tail forend but after shooting the gun, it is oh so sweet. It has 30 in barrels chokes Cyl/IC. It crushes them on skeet. I may make it my main skeet gun.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 09-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #49
Mike Murphy
Forum Associate

Member Info

Todd, in an earlier post you mentioned that there is a theory that "Skeet"rules led to the demise of the 16ga. I believe that the 3" 20ga was probably more responsible. When that happened, you could get a lighter gun with the same payload by going to the 20ga.
The Skeet rules allow using a smaller gauge in larger guage competition, i.e., 16 or 20 gauge in 12 (ALL) gauge competition. During my active years in Skeet, many shooters used the 20ga. in 12ga. competition.
Michael Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #50
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have a wonderful cut 26" DHE, single trigger, beavertail, 207,000 series 12 gauge. The bores were enlarged to about .745 so some choke could be put back. Herschel advertised the gun as an original skeet gun. My friend was the station chief for we can guess who in Kabul at the time. He received the gun by diplomatic mail and immediately contacted HC to bring to his attention that it was nobody's skeet gun. I bought the gun years later along with a ream of letters back and forth, HC refusing to take the gun back. I also have the original ad and correspondence. He did offer to let my friend pick another gun, from Kabul. I promised myself I wouldn't tell this story until Herschel was dead. He's dead and I'm telling the story.