Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-12-2024, 05:36 PM   #41
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,656 Times in 3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Todd, my go to clays gun is a Parker VHE live bird gun, 32", high vent rib and choked F/IC, no safety. It is by far my favorite target gun. I never shot pigeons with it yet but it did do me well on Helice. I also had a 32" Lefever LBG, Damascus, choked F/F, no safety. That gun turned targets into dust clouds. Sold it to a good friend and he enjoys it now.
That vent rib gun sounds like it might be right on time for Colombaire ! My vent gun is full and fuller yet but that’s just cuz I don’t wanna open it up . My friend Alonzo keeps telling me I need a 28-30” gun that’s light mod and full . And if I can ever have a Fabbri or Bosis it may very well be choked that way but it’s gun have a second set of 32” barrels choked tighter than hell in the left and tight as hell in the right .
Pigeons
Unread 02-12-2024, 05:42 PM   #42
Trap3
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,129 Times in 272 Posts

Default Pigeons

Champion Live Bird shooters from 1960`s, photo from Harold`s Reno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6404.jpg (457.8 KB, 5 views)
Randy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2024, 06:52 PM   #43
CCefalu
PGCA Member

Member Info

The Harold's club is legendary here in Reno/Sparks. I'm a bit too young to have shot there but my father won an event at the Harold's Club in the early 70's during the Gold West Grand, a pair of elephant skin cowboy boots (that he still has). My dad tells great stories of watching the "old timers" shot live pigeons there. My dad introduced me to the clay target sports when I was 12 and I shot in the Gold West Grand for many years when it was held a Sage Hill clay sports in Reno until it closed. Both Harold's and Sage Hill are covered in houses and shopping malls now .
Christopher Cefalu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Cefalu For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2024, 09:36 PM   #44
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,089 Posts

I have this pigeon decoy that was made and gifted to me by a chum; barn pigeon shooting is great fun although no money is involved (except for the occasional side bet of course! ). Story goes that this little fooler was shot over by some pretty well-known gunners...

Unread 02-12-2024, 09:44 PM   #45
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,137 Posts

I've shot flyers and I've shot barn pigeons and I've shot pigeons that responded to a crow call. But I killed more pigeons at one time with a broom stick than I ever did with a gun. That's another story for another time, I guess.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2024, 11:15 PM   #46
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

The only mulligan I ever had was a stew at Boy Scout Camp. Is that what they were supposedly serving at Philly?
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Pigeons
Unread 02-13-2024, 09:09 AM   #47
Trap3
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,129 Times in 272 Posts

Default Pigeons

Milt Lindsley "Tournament" Shell... 3-3/4 Wood powder 1-1/4 #7`s Made by Eley Brothers for Henry Squires NY. from Interstate Tournament 11-30-1891.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tournament Shell 3.jpg (492.9 KB, 3 views)
Randy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2024, 09:13 AM   #48
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,939 Times in 4,787 Posts

Craig will attest that, at our club in West Virginia, ties are also worn. When a shooter finishes his five birds at the post, he passes the tie to the next shooter.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-13-2024, 09:21 AM   #49
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,864 Times in 3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
When Destry and I were at the Philadelphia Gun Club we shot under the nom de plumes Fred Kimble (me) and Captain A. H. Bogardus (Destry). When you toed the line, they would announce over a loud speaker, "Fred Kimble now at post." The following is an account of the match as published in Parker Pages.

"Philadelphia, Penn., January 10, 2009. Editor Parker Pages: - Epic struggles deserve chronicling, and the battles between Captain A. H. Bogardus and Mr. Fred Kimble are no exception. The story began some three years ago when these two shootists first met on the fields of glory in Sanford, North Carolina. In their initial contest, the good Captain was victorious over a very green Kimble by only a very narrow margin. Their second meeting occurred once again in the spring and on southern grounds. And once again Captain Bogardus proved to be the champion wing shot he claimed to be. The third meeting was a different story, as Kimble managed to best Bogardus by a single clay target after two grueling days toeing the line.

Now a fourth match has taken place. But this time north of the Mason-Dixon line, and with live pigeons. The contest occurred on January 10th last and the purse was $100 and an engraved, sterling silver pocket watch. The match was hosted by the old and venerable Philadelphia Gun Club of that Quaker City and our brothers in arms were the guests of the ever genial Mr. Kaas. The day proved cold and snowy, and the sky gray and heavy.

Both of our heroes were sporting Parker shotguns. Bogardus was shooting a weighty DHE with 32 inch tubes choked improved cylinder and fuller, while Kimble shot his BH, sporting thirty inch barrels choked modified and full. Stationed at the thirty-one yard mark, each pigeon popper faced five traps which overlooked the great Delaware River. This was originally slated as a thirty bird race but was cut to twenty-seven when the pigeons ran short. Kimble led off the match and managed to go five straight before losing his sixth bird, dead, but out of bounds, followed shortly thereafter with a clean miss on number nine. Bogardus placed himself at an immediate disadvantage when he missed his first and third birds, but in true champion form the Captain proceeded to kill his next seventeen straight before missing his twenty-first feathered target. Kimble’s next misses came on birds twenty-two and twenty-three, both being screamers straight out of the box. All was even after Bogardus tripped on his twenty-fourth bird, each man being down four. And even it would stay until the final bird. Kimble finished his round with a clean kill on twenty-seven. It was now Bogardus’ turn at the line. A dead bird would leave the match at a tie; a miss would send Kimble home with the watch and the money. The good Captain called, “Trapper! Ready?” The trapper replied, “Ready.” “Pull,” shouted Bogardus and the bird sprung from the trap. The Captain fired twice and as the smoke cleared the unfortunate pigeon fell dead but out of bounds. Such is life in this game we call pigeon shooting. But there’s always next time, my good Captain. Gaucho"
That Gaucho can tell a tale. I thought I was there…and back when.

Thanks!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 02-13-2024, 10:06 AM   #50
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
That Gaucho can tell a tale. I thought I was there…and back when.

Thanks!
Sounds kinda like last Sunday's Superbowl!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post: