Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #31
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

bill did i read the post right 6 lbs 4 ounce 10 ga......lightest 10 ga by far i ever heard of...what loads do you shoot in it and what do you hunt with it..... charlie ps lighest ten that i have is 8 1/2 lbs and the heaviest is 10 1/4 lbs
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #32
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I have a 26" 5# 11oz Linder Daly 12ga fwt on the way here soon. I'll be interested in seeing how they made it that light. Hope it wasn't by honing the bbls to beer can thickness...
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

richard them 12s that light have got to kick like youve been hit with both back feet of a big mule...should be a pleasure to tote ...weighed my 20 ga today on my old scales it weighed 5 1/4 lbs.they could be off a couple ounces.got to get me some of those digital ones....
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #34
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,184 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I have a 26" 5# 11oz Linder Daly 12ga fwt on the way here soon. I'll be interested in seeing how they made it that light. Hope it's wasn't by honing the bbls to beer can thickness...
If it is like my Lindner Daly FWT - you'll be just fine. No beer can barrels - as I shoot it all the time and - and, as a huge PLUS - the barrel walls at their thinnest point are well above the thickness - as the subject of this thread..??

It also doesn't haven't any ports/pits in the bore I'll need to drill out?

But - what the hell do I know?

Enjoy your new Daly Featherweight! They are wonderful...

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aan.jpg (187.4 KB, 3 views)
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #35
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think yours looks a just tad cleaner than the one I'm getting John. I am looking forward to trying it with lighter handloads on ruffies. Should be perfect. The workmanship on the Linders is exquisite. My normal wt Linder 12 has pretty stout bbls for a short and relatively light gun. Seems a touch more barrel heavy than most Parkers. I see your triggers are even bent correctly for a right hander... Nice gun... Could I by any chance 'borrow' it for a while??? Just a little while?? Not for long....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #36
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,184 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I think yours looks a just tad cleaner... I see your triggers are even bent correctly for a right hander... Nice gun... Could I by any chance 'borrow' it for a while??? Just a little while?? Not for long....
Hi Richard!

You are more than welcome to borrow this little Daly any time..?? There is a hitch though?? You can only take delivery in person?? And yep - like all my guns, you are free to borrow them whenever..? For example - Scott has my little DH DAM, Pete has my AAHE vent rib, Dean has my DHE 20, Bob has my little VH 20, Scott has my Nikon D200, Danny has my.... Oh wait - sorry..??

As for the triggers - yep - they are articulated for a RH shooter. And if yours is like mine - it will feel like a wand in hand - and shoot even better..?? I'll post more from this little Daly - but I think the one you want to "borrow" is a little Diamond Quality Lindner Daly I have stashed away. I've never posted pictures, but - she is a beautiful little 12 GA. That's the one you want to "borrow", I think??

And yep - a wonderful little woodcock and grouse gun...

Please post some pics of your FWT when she comes home to you, OK??

Best to you!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #37
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yeah! The Diamond grade! Yes! That's the one I really meant! Love to borrow it. I'll be right over.... leave a light on...
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #38
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,416 Times in 1,248 Posts

Just to help establish a "benchmark" of sorts..... with objective data. Yesterday I measured a damascus Francotte of 1896 vintage. Gun is all-original with 18.4mm bores (.726/.727" as confirmed by my Galazan bore gauge). It's damascus is the chain pattern type, and the exterior barrel finish is original and in pretty good condition. Minimum walls are .031/.032" as measured 8-9" back from the muzzles. That's the thinnest measurement anywhere on the tubes. The walls were measured with a Galazan wall gauge - the heavier bench model with vertical posts to hold the barrel and the dial indicator.

This barrel set weighs 3 - 10.7. And the gun weighs 7 - 5. While I understand that a Francotte is not a Parker, the data reported here will give an idea of what another quality manufacturer put up on its guns.

This thread reminded me of the first damascus gun I purchased from a gent who seemed to know what he was talking about. It's a Syracuse Arms gun that supposedly had been "lightly honed" by a gunsmith sort I had heard of. I didn't have a wall gauge at the time, and a short bore gauge (since replaced) showed the tubes to have irregular I.D.'s. Whatever.... Then, months later when I sprung to buy a better/longer bore gauge, and also a wall gauge, I discovered there are multiple locations on the tubes where the walls are 16 to 22 thou thick. I suspect it was "honed" with emery cloth on the end of a rod, turned by a drill motor. The SAC gun now sits off-line in my safe, with a paint marker UNSAFE warning on her barrels, while I look for another barrel to fit to it. Lesson learned.

Since then the bore gauge travels with me whenever I think I might find a gun, and the wall gauge is always in the vehicle at the larger shows and shoots.

Frank
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #39
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,980 Times in 4,806 Posts

Yeah, Charlie, the little Krupp barrel Sauer ten weights 6-4. I usually shoot RST 1 1/8 ounce loads at preserve pheasants with it. Once I accidentally loaded a 1 5/8 ounce Super-X paper and fired it at a skeet bird. It almost killed me. I won't make that mistake again. It is 26" bored tight modified and full, so I can wait for everyone else to shoot before I have to commit to a bird. I still don't see the trick they used to get the gun so light with safe barrels. The gun is just about identical to a Daly Featherweight.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Expiriment
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #40
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Expiriment

I have not loaded a pdf file before; this is an experiment. This excel file shows barrel dimensions of a gun we did not include in the analysis of barrel taper for Parker Pages. It is a pretty beat up and cut barrel gun; but it is the lightest lifter 12 I have seen.

The breadth of the barrel set and the diameter of a barrel vs distance from breech is tabulated; from this the void between barrels and the nominal barrel thicknes at that point are calculated.

These barrels look and feel paper thin; but they measure .040 at the muzzle.

Best, Austin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BARREL TAPER TABLE22694 LIGHT ONE Frame 12.pdf (10.4 KB, 38 views)
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin W Hogan For Your Post: