Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #31
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Victor

Did not miss or ignore your message and you seem well versed in legal issues. My point was directed as to what happens to material if something expires like a copyright, trademark or patent, then it becomes, as told to me, public domain. A friend of mine that was internal counsel at Coca Cola that chased this stuff told me of this a long time ago. And yes you have to vigorously defend your trademark to all comers.

I thought your explanation of copyright and trademark was correct. This could be a never ending debate but given the scale and scope and current situation of Remington in context of thread, still don't see Remington really caring. Now if PGCA was trying to make a business and huge profit of selling Parker stuff, then Remington could ask for reimbursement, a license agreement, or seek injunctive relief if they indeed have rights. Don't see any of that even on the horizon in reality, but in theory yes Remington may have rights. Again given context what would be probability of Remington flexing their muscle on what we are talking about.

So specific question is use of their trademark and if Remington has rights. No one here is trying change or operate a business of Parker Bros. name, I don't think that is in dispute. I guess real question does Remington have rights and if so would they require licensed use of Parker Bros. trademark. They would if it was profitable or if they thought per se this group was damaging their trademark rights, but PGCA isn't or they would have asked PGCA to cease and desist from using anything associated with Parker Bros. Frankly I think they would support anything PGCA would do that could create value or awareness of their trademark, especially if it did not cost them anything. I actually wonder why someone from Remington doesn't come onto this webpage and talk about stuff. 1. they don't care, 2. they don't want to further offer any support of the products.

Btw fickled finger of fate, I have been involved with with some trademark and patent issues before. Client of mine was wanting to purchase a well known sweetener brand that patent and process protection period was going to expire in about two years. They could buy the trademark and brand but any value to the patent was gone in 2 years and market value for said sweetener was going to drop quickly since everyone in Asia was already making it and were ready to flood the US market when it expired.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #32
Kirk Potter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Doesn't it seem like their are several different companies reprinting the various "Parker Brothers" catalogs?
Kirk Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Potter For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,925 Times in 12,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
This could be a never ending debate but given the scale and scope and current situation of Remington in context of thread, still don't see Remington really caring. Now if PGCA was trying to make a business and huge profit of selling Parker stuff, then Remington could ask for reimbursement, a license agreement, or seek injunctive relief. Don't see any of that even on the horizon in reality, but in theory yes Remington may have rights. Again given context what would be probability of Remington flexing their muscle on what we are talking about.

I actually wonder why someone from Remington doesn't come onto this webpage and talk about stuff. 1. they don't care, 2. they don't want to further offer any support of the products.

Well there it is in black & white... Todd doesn't think Remington cares. Apparantly Remington is too busy to care???

Have at it guys - print whatever you want to...(at your own peril, I should add.)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #34
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Well there it is in black & white... Todd doesn't think Remington cares. Apparantly Remington is too busy to care???

Have at it guys - print whatever you want to...(at your own peril, I should add.)

Ipso Facto, does Remington seek compensation for use of any likeness of material presented or used by PGCA with regard to letters that have woodcock and broken gun emblem all over them, heck even for constant use on this webpage. The original premise posed was in context of PGCA could it print some stickers or labels to give to members. I think you said PGCA has right to use stuff for educational purposes, which is in obvious support of trademark and in Remington's best interest. Oh well.

And for calling me out Dean, I'm notifying the mattress police on your ass and for your sake hope you did not remove the tags.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 03-09-2018 at 08:05 PM..
Unread 03-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,925 Times in 12,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
And for calling me out Dean, I'm notifying the mattress police on your ass and for your sake hope you did not remove the tags.
Ha! You can't scare me with "mattress police" threats. I used to be very afraid of them and left the tags on pillows, mattresses, furniture cushions, hell even kapoc filled life jackets... Then I got smart and learned these warnings were to the retailer and not the retail purchaser... who knew?
These days I throw caution to the wind and snip off all such warnings. So, you see - you can't scare me with idle threats.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #36
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dang, and I thought for sure I at least had you crawling underneath your bed looking for tags.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #37
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

It really has nothing to do with right wrong or Remington.

Company bankrup the sharks come out looking for blood. All it takes is one attorney seeing PGCA using Remington trademarks and having cash in our bank account. He takes us to court and settles out of court, gets a cut of the settlement. The Bankruptcy Court can’t play favorites, have to protect creditors and accepts the agreement.

I was called to testify in a similar case years ago. Attoney representing creditors brought a frivolous lawsuit against a former vendor to the bankrupt company. Case was thrown out it was so ridiculous, vendor had to pay his own legal bills. No recourse.

It’s not worth it.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #38
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,333 Times in 3,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
It really has nothing to do with right wrong or Remington.

Company bankrup the sharks come out looking for blood. All it takes is one attorney seeing PGCA using Remington trademarks and having cash in our bank account. He takes us to court and settles out of court, gets a cut of the settlement. The Bankruptcy Court can’t play favorites, have to protect creditors and accepts the agreement.

I was called to testify in a similar case years ago. Attoney representing creditors brought a frivolous lawsuit against a former vendor to the bankrupt company. Case was thrown out it was so ridiculous, vendor had to pay his own legal bills. No recourse.

It’s not worth it.

William
you are correct in all you say

BUT

i find it sad that in this world any more, most of the time, it has nothing to do with right or wrong
Unread 03-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #39
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rick international shipping for years was involved in a number lawsuits. Every legal system is different and we always took the advice of our attorneys. Most of the time in the US the advice was settle because of the cost. Primary difference in the American system vs other countries is no compensation for you expenses when sued even if the case is thrown out.

Key issue in bankruptcy is it’s not Remington that would want compensation for unauthorized use of trademark. It’s the creditors that are looking for money as a group. And the court is likely to agree to hear anyone bringing a legitimate claim. Money recovered goes into the pool paying all creditors. I don’t look on it in a negative way, the creditors deserve to be paid. Only issue I have is frivolous. More often than not the result of overloaded courts accepting most claims & letting the attorneys work it out.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #40
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,505 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
This whole thread is making my teeth hurt. That said, I believe that your statements, above, are incorrect. All contemporary works, such as those by Muderlack, Bauer and TPS are pretty specific regarding language in the sale that specifically precluded Remington from using the name 'Parker Bros', i.e. the two words, together. The woodcock and broken gun image may be another story entirely.
Sorry for the toothache. I was once told (by a friend?) that intellectual property law was for the “nerdiest nerds.” Well this IP nerd is interested in the status of the PARKER brand, so he dug a bit deeper. Brace yourself.

I know Muderlack et al. are like gospel around here. However, I must point out that at least as of 2004, it is Remington’s position that they have rights in the PARKER BROS. mark (as well as the PARKER mark, which they have registered).

In 2004, Remington successfully sued a newly-formed entity called Parker Bros. Markers, Inc., for trademark infringement based on unauthorized use of the PARKER BROS. and PARKER BROS. MAKERS marks. I am posting the entire complaint, as filed by Remington, as I think some of our members (with robust teeth) may be interested in the historical details contained therein. Paragraphs 11 and 12 are particularly relevant to the topic at hand. The PGCA gets a shout-out in Paragraph 9.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Victor Wasylyna For Your Post: