Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #31
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally vernon View Post
This gun letters all the way!!! I had a "forum member" try to talk me out of the gun at a cheap price because he siad he had a letter on the gun and it was cut on both ends. I am not attempting to sell the gun but I want to post this letter so the "gentleman" can see what he aint getting!

Also, as far as I know, the person who (falsely) claimed to have a letter on my gun is listed as a 'forum member" but he may be a PGCA member.

I really appreciate the kind words about this gun and the help you have given me in researching the original owner. I am in this for the history, beautiful guns, and the friends I have been able to make along the way.

Wally, Interesting and Sad that someone here claimed to have a "letter" and information on your Parker that diminished it's originality, which was then followed by a Low-Ball offer to buy it from you.... Unfortunately yours is not an isolated incident, I've also experienced this first hand, and have spoken to several others here with similar accounts of someone who claimed to have certain (misleading & false) Parker information in a dishonest attempt to buy their guns on the cheap...

On a brighter note, you certainly have found a great 2-barrel set with some outstanding history... Please keep us updated on any further provenance you might discover on James W. Byrnes in the future... You mentioned earlier that you were "in this for the history"..... The campaign photo image below indicates James W. Byrnes was a candidate for Mayor of St Louis in the early 1920's... Hope this helps put a face to the man who originally ordered your very unique DHE....

Best, CSL

Last edited by Christopher Lien; 08-19-2010 at 01:21 AM..
Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher Lien For Your Post:
James Byrne
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default James Byrne

I think I remember a James Byrne who was an often cited cabinet member during World War II.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #33
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,990 Times in 4,809 Posts

Dean and Larry, I remember a conversation I had with Larry Del Grego Sr. in 1972, (summarized in the letter he sent to estimate the job) when I had asked him to install ejectors in my VH 28 gauge. He said he would do it, but wouldn't recommend it or like it. He did reluctantly quote me a price. Not too much later, as I recall, the Del Grego firm started refusing such work. Some think it was because of the scarcity of parts. I suspect it may have been because of the difficulty of drilling the holes in the front of the receiver. Ruin one A Grade receiver and it takes all your profit away from the last fifty jobs.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #34
wally vernon
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for your research on James W Byrnes. The campaign button really gives me inspiration to think there must be a good deal of info on the guy. Unforunately, he is not the guy in the cabinet. Harry Truman had a "James F. Byrnes" from South Carolina on his cabinet. He could be related, though. Also "google" turns up some "Byrnes" people in St louis and elsewhere, so his decendants are probably around.

This is the fun part, maybe I'll find enough to write an article about James Byrnes and the gun.
wally vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #35
David Hamilton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Austin, That Jimmy Byrnes was from South Carolina. Perhaps they are related. David
David Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #36
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Dean and Larry, I remember a conversation I had with Larry Del Grego Sr. in 1972, (summarized in the letter he sent to estimate the job) when I had asked him to install ejectors in my VH 28 gauge. He said he would do it, but wouldn't recommend it or like it. He did reluctantly quote me a price. Not too much later, as I recall, the Del Grego firm started refusing such work. Some think it was because of the scarcity of parts. I suspect it may have been because of the difficulty of drilling the holes in the front of the receiver. Ruin one A Grade receiver and it takes all your profit away from the last fifty jobs.
Bill,
You are correct, the Del Grego's do have the original PB jig/fixture for adding the ejector holes in nonejector frames. I recall them showing it to me years ago. I was there with 108776 which was a little early for ejectors yet the gun had them installed. I was told they were definetly done at the factory as determined by the hole locations that matched the jig and were somewhat different than on an original ejector gun. It's my belief the frames must have been annealed, drilled, and rehardened as I don't think the ability to machine hardened steel in the early 1900's was what it is today although I have no proof of that. Perhaps Austin would have some information regarding the process used to add ejectors to a gun.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #37
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wally: James F. "Jimmy" Byrnes was a former Governor of South Carolina. Before that he was Secretary of State under President Truman although he had switched parties from Democrat to Republican when he refused to join the Ku Klux Klan. He was an intimate friend and hunting partner of Bernard Baruch at Hobcaw Barony near Georgetown, South Carolina. You have a beautiful and valuable Parker. You should order a letter on it and track down it's history.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lander For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #38
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

George, "hegotim" a letter. It is available for your viewing pleasure on this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #39
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Bill: I didn't look at the first page of the thread. This is a neat gun. I wonder how may Parkers would letter as two barrel sets?

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

George, I have a DH #3 frame two barrel Damascus set very similar to Wally's gun that letters. It is one big gun. I have the front half of an 1897 CH two barrel Bernard set that letters to a dealer in Charleston. Thanks to John Davis, it is now mated up with a very nice DH skeleton butt back end. Those are the only lettered two barrel sets I have owned.