Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #31
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,729 Posts

Chris,I you look at my original post you will notice that the VHE 32" gun has the mid bead at 18 3/8" back. That is much further back than the other guns. And its stocked at 2 1/2"DAH. Coincidence? Who knows...
Unread 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #32
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Seems one would have to be concentrating pretty hard on the beads to make a figure 8. Interesting idea but doesn't gel with the idea of NOT concentrating on the beads..... unless of course you like to miss targets.... like I do...
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #33
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dave Suponski, out of curiosity,of the guns you listed, which ones allow YOU to see a figure 8 with a normal gun mount and what are your preferred stock drop dimensions?
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #34
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bob,A gun stocked to my liking would be 14 1/2"LOP 1 1/2"DAC 2 1/2" DAH with a 1/8" or so cast off for a RH shooter. I can shoot any one of these guns pretty good as I have learned how to adjust. The two 32" trap guns with the fairly high stocks I like because I float the birds over the muzzles.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #35
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dave, I could shoot your gun no problem. 1 1/2 DAC is right on the money for me shooting 16yd trap targets,I too like to float the target. That why some of my flatter shooting doubles give me fits at SC! Was just curious if you actually see a figure 8 with any of those stock dimensions.
I know as I raise the comb on my gun I begin to see rib between the beads.
So it stands to reason a higher comb or a longer face would require the bead be closer to the muzzle to get stacked beads. A mid bead is very functional if properly set for the shooter. Canting the gun left or right or raising the head causes the figure 8 to fall apart,it can serve as an instant gun mount check before calling for the target.
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #36
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bob,I agree. On my three trap guns I use the figure 8 to get set on the gun and then look for the target.Seems to work pretty good.Also at trap I don't go down to the house before calling for the target.I keep my mounted gun about three feet up from the house.Keeps gun movement to a minimum and I am on the target quickly.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #37
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,581 Times in 12,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rambler View Post
Canting the gun left or right or raising the head causes the figure 8 to fall apart,it can serve as an instant gun mount check before calling for the target.

Robert, that's my point exactly.

We rarely see Dave with a "long face" - he's usually the life of the party.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #38
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Chris,I you look at my original post you will notice that the VHE 32" gun has the mid bead at 18 3/8" back. That is much further back than the other guns. And its stocked at 2 1/2"DAH. Coincidence? Who knows...
I had a look at my 32" VHE vent/rib Trap last night and it measured very similar to yours with a little higher shooting dimensions at heel = LOP 14-1/8, DAC 1-1/2", DAH 1-3/4, and mid-bead dead on at 18" from muzzle....

Maybe if we had some other shooters here post the stock dimensions of their 32" barreled guns with bead measurement, we would see a consistent pattern with relation to stock height and mid-bead placement?... Would also be interesting to see the differences in mid-bead placement between vent/rib and standard rib same length barrels with similar stock dimensions... Just a thought, and Hope we get some feedback on this...

Best, CSL
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #39
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

After reading this entire thread a couple of times I'm not sure if there was a factory standard or not and if there was such a standard where was the measurement taken from. So far it's been suggested the measurement could be from the muzzle, from the breech, and someone suggested measuring from the butt to the bead. I checked three guns last night that letter with double beads and all three measure 18" from the muzzle. Because all three guns have different barrel lengths (26"28"30") I have to assume that it's the relationship of each bead to the other that would be the most important dimension. I like double beads for checking gun mount but find them impractical for shooting as I try to focus on the lead edge of the clay or the head of the bird when making a shot.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Do we "need" the mid-bead?
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #40
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Do we "need" the mid-bead?

[QUOTE=Larry Frey;15153]After reading this entire thread a couple of times I'm not sure if there was a factory standard or not and if there was such a standard where was the measurement taken from. So far it's been suggested the measurement could be from the muzzle, from the breech, and someone suggested measuring from the butt to the bead. I checked three guns last night that letter with double beads and all three measure 18" from the muzzle. Because all three guns have different barrel lengths (26"28"30") I have to assume that it's the relationship of each bead to the other that would be the most important dimension. I like double beads for checking gun mount but find them impractical for shooting as I try to focus on the lead edge of the clay or the head of the bird when making a shot.[-

Larry, for field hunting conditions I couldn't agree more- I removed the mid-bead sights from my VR 28" Mossenburgher 835 nasty weather waterfowler, I didn't mind the VR but the little brass bead distracted me-I only want to see the birds head in focus- haven't shot the little 16 PH on clays yet, but will not remove the mid bead for any reason-

?? If you do that, will that allow moisture to "weep" into the top rib section?? I sealed the 1/16" unthreaded hole in the VR on the 835 against moisture just for that reason.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote