Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #31
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have sold 3 so far this year to be fiscally enriched for the Southern
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #32
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Im going with a Montana rifle co PH action . The smith said he would sell me a barreled action for 1k flat . which is a deal since the action is 1200$ and a barrel job is 600$ . the Montana actions are basically pre 64 Winchesters well the Ph is a scaled up version , I think it has a bolt diameter of .850" or something its pretty huge . and it comes with the bolt face already designed for the .640" rim diameter which is what a 505 gibbs uses . I meant savage 111 action but its a staggered feed . So im just going to sell it off to someone who wants a deer rifle . Probably get a stock from joel russo or a xlr chassis . Im a fan of the new rifle chassis that are coming out . If any one else is interested in a 585 HE rifle let me know . they can be built on a variety of actions . You just have to load it accordingly . some actions can only handle so much bolt thrust .

George I tell people , im going to collect and buy things might as well be something I love and isn't self destructive . I mean Im in my 20s and it seems like most people just want to drink or do drugs . Not me though I just want enjoy my guns and shoot them as much as possible and add to my collection .
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #33
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Milt your not the only one. I am glad to see more people my age enjoying old guns most people I know just want glocks, ars, and aks. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I wonder what the future of these guns are when so few of us younger gun enthusiast enjoy them. That 585 HE sounds like a hell of a gun but my .458 lott is enough for me until I can get my hands on a double 577 nitro anyways.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #34
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eldon I had originally planned on getting A 577 nitro But then I got ahold of the Gunsmith Ed Hubel and he turned me on to his 585 HE . It is 500-600 fps faster than the 577 nitro express . same bullets (.585) . theres also the 600 overkill . Ive learned get whatever caliber you can get brass for in these big bores . Im setting mine up as a prone position rifle its going to be really heavy probably over 15lbs maybe 20lbs . You could build a 577 on a sxs shotgun action . kynoch 577 nitro ammo is only loaded to 35k psi or so low pressure really . I had a dangerous game hunter tell me the 577 calibers can over penetrate and hit a animal you didn't intentionally want to pay for . Like he was on a cape buffalo hunt and took a broadside shot with his 577 and it passed completely through and went into another and the bullet stopped in the hide on the far side of the second cape buffalo ! My 585 He cases are only 3$ a case which isn't bad since they almost last forever and theres a good supply . Oh yeah you can use gibbs cases to form them by swagging a belt onto the case but gibbs brass isn't made like cheytac/HE brass , not as thick in the web area .

I got 2 weeks or so and my Edwinson 10 ga will be here cant wait to see her . I mainly got it because I read Edwinson was a well known gunmaker and I don't ever see any of his doubles for sell . probably because they made guns in low numbers . like mine is only serial # 34xx . unlike Americans shotguns from the same period in the 100k range serial # . I prefer I brit guns I guess
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #35
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Im not much into pistols but if I was going to get one it would be a 1902 colt . Don't like ar15s and such . not into shooting semi autos . might be because im left handed
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #36
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Milton if you and Eldon are in your 20's then my hat is off to you fine young gentelman For a crusty old guy like me it's nice to know there are young people out there who can appreciate these fine old guns vs the Glocks, AR's AK's and such.

Milton I hope someday you can get to Africa and use your rifle on a Buff. Go when you can, DON'T put it off. You won't be sorry you went.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #37
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

COB ive thought of it before , going to Africa and such but Honesty I would rather go to Wyoming or Montana and hunt grizzly or elk and do some horseback riding . And thanks for your complement I don't know about Eldon but I am 21 . You ever will never see me buy a benelli or anything as such . My brother says I have the mentality of a 90 year old man haha . Well only when it comes to my shotguns , I like modern and old rifles alike though . I love old sxs mainly though because im a die hard 10 ga fanatic and if you want a nice 10 gauge that doesn't look like a fence post then youll going to have to get something made most likely before the 1930s . my 10 bores both being pre 1898s . now I have owned modern 10 ga guns . 3 modern 10 bores and 2 Damascus guns .
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #38
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks C.O.B. I try to convert everyone I can young or old. I think I have one convert but he is a 20 gauge fan and I don't know if he wants to take the jump for the investment that a Parker 20 is. Milton the English are pretty smart I have shot some rounds out here when it was relatively cool for us high 90's and have had some cartridges stick in the chamber. Shot them a couple months later when summer was over with no problem. So I am a believer in the lower pressures for dangerous game guns. Ill be 27 the end of this month... where does the time go.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #39
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eldon with the way medical tech is advancing everyday , doesn't look like the future is going to be bad for us lol .
Also I don't think most people want to learn about Damascus and how to tell if a old gun is a shooter or a wall and hanger and such things . It takes a special group of people to shoot and collect these old guns . From what ive seen people on this forum and nice and respectful to each other , they talk like their a family haha . I might try and find a parkers by the q4 of this year . I will have more money then , im looking at one that's been for sale for awhile but hope maybe if it doesn't sell the price will drop doubtful though . at least in the Nevada heat yall don't have all this humidity . sometimes here it will get 110-115 degrees with 80-90% humidty !
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton Starr For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:05 AM   #40
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Cob before I forget , My dream hunt would be a Zebra . I mean stable would be a second runner up but something about a zebra hunt fascinates me . Id be happy even for one of those Texas zebra hunts .