Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #31
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,671 Times in 713 Posts

Now I’m sure I have a sickness

Well, I might as well enjoy it, just send me all of those awful single trigger doubles, I will put them to good use, and I promise I’ll take excellent care of them

I guess I only own 1 single trigger Parker, I think I’ve only had issues with one single trigger gun, that sporting a Kautsky

I’ve never had much trouble with my NID single triggers, never enough to make me hate them for sure
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread Today, 06:40 AM   #32
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,269 Times in 1,207 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Single triggers and beavertail forends are for guys who shot automatics till they were north of 50 and now wanna be double gun men.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread Today, 07:39 AM   #33
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,858 Times in 2,942 Posts

I love BTFE on my guns. Rests nicely in my paw.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread Today, 07:41 AM   #34
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,274 Times in 1,216 Posts

My preference is for double triggers on a field gun. But, to say that all single triggers are unreliable or unsafe is just wrong. Beretta, FAIR, Perazzi, Kreighoff and many, many others have single triggers that are just 100% reliable. No pigeon shooter would ever walk to the ring carrying a doublegun that was not reliable, yet close to 100% of them shoot single trigger guns at flyers.

I've shot high volume doves in Argentina twice and run nearly 10,000 rounds through that 687 SP II Sporting 20 ga. at a rate of one shell every 6.7 seconds for the three-hour long shoots we had. Never a failure with the trigger, or with the ejectors. Guns get hot and dirty during a shoot of that intensity, but never a hiccup from the Beretta.

There is no single trigger that I am aware of that will ever equal the double trigger's ability to choose choke instantly. THAT'S the big advantage of double triggers in the field, IMO. Not reliability.

Now the caveat. I'm referencing MODERN single triggers, not the Rube Goldberg contraptions so many vintage American doubles companies developed and sold. No comparison there, again IMO. Too many shooters who are only schooled in old school single triggers lump them in with modern ones, and that's very unfortunate because it's like comparing A.G. Bell's first trans-Atlantic phone call to today's cell phone communication quality.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread Today, 08:41 AM   #35
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,971 Times in 1,326 Posts

My objection to single triggers on double guns isn’t solely based on reliability. Although I have had my share of single trigger mechanical issues. My real objections are personal in nature. Often times my failure to fire on the second shot is a result of me not allowing the trigger to reset. And many of my second shot misses are the result of me hunting the back trigger which doesn’t exist. So these should be considered operator errors. But in a game where a single target can mean the difference between winning and losing, you got to go with what works for you. And it also doesn’t hurt that the double triggers freak everyone else out.

On another note, in a game like doubles trap, a beaver tail forearm is an absolute must.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread Today, 09:27 AM   #36
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,269 Times in 1,207 Posts

I never understood the pigeon shooters obsession with single trigger guns.

P.S. I went to my first flyer shoot in years back last winter and half the guys were shooting automatics. I was shocked.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:03 AM   #37
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,560 Times in 4,761 Posts

Yes, with todays modern double guns, single triggers certainly are the norm. And that has been the case for a long time with over/unders. Today the manufactures have standardized on the few designs that are truly reliable and have proven to perform well.

I have often wondered by more modern manufacturers do not offer both single and double triggers. They clearly figure that the majority of their customers want a Single trigger. Though making a gun with double triggers would be cheaper to make due to less parts needed. I can certainly see the benefit to offering only one design from an overall cost standpoint.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread Today, 10:12 AM   #38
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,274 Times in 1,216 Posts

I don't think it's an obsession, Destry, so much as a result of the evolution of the sport.

I've never had the problem John described himself as having with the inability to switch from double triggers to single, and vice versa. I never have to give it a conscious thought. It just happens. Same thing with some double trigger devotees who say they get mixed up when they try to shoot the rear trigger first, then go to the front one. It just happens for me without any forethought or reminders.

We aren't all wired the same, thankfully. I have no problem with "diversity" when it comes to shotgun triggers. My only problem is with narrow minded shotgunners who vocally bash what they don't care for, and that is not directed at anyone in particular participating in this thread.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: