Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #31
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,739 Times in 1,880 Posts

Would some of you fellas with the 2 frame 20's mind posting the barrel length and unstruck weight ? I am just curious. Thanks !
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #32
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,945 Times in 3,169 Posts

So it's very clear that there is collector interest in and passion for long barreled, heavy weight 20s.

Can you help me understand what the intrinsic value of these guns is (not the monetary value...I can see that in the price of those offered for sale)? I certainly understand the rarity, and the historical interest in the "fashion" of those duck club guns, but is there something else I'm missing?
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 09-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #33
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,739 Times in 1,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
So it's very clear that there is collector interest in and passion for long barreled, heavy weight 20s.

Can you help me understand what the intrinsic value of these guns is (not the monetary value...I can see that in the price of those offered for sale)? I certainly understand the rarity, and the historical interest in the "fashion" of those duck club guns, but is there something else I'm missing?
Garry the one thing you omitted that is a huge factor to me is the actual use of these long barreled guns. I like them on the sporting clays course and out on the prairie. Tried a 34" in the turkey blind one year and also tried to carry it through the woods, I'm over that now. We all have certain aesthetics that we prefer in a gun. For me a long barreled 20 or 16 is just sexy looking. Now throw in a 32" 28 gauge, oh my !
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 09-23-2021, 11:52 AM   #34
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,945 Times in 3,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
Garry the one thing you omitted that is a huge factor to me is the actual use of these long barreled guns. I like them on the sporting clays course and out on the prairie. Tried a 34" in the turkey blind one year and also tried to carry it through the woods, I'm over that now. We all have certain aesthetics that we prefer in a gun. For me a long barreled 20 or 16 is just sexy looking. Now throw in a 32" 28 gauge, oh my !
Randy, thanks for your answer. I'm not a clays shooter, but I can understand the dynamics of a heavier, long barreled gun. I like small gauge guns, but I use them for hunting. A long barreled, small bore gun is a blessing on the prairie where shots can be longer and of the crossing variety...but a heavier gun becomes a problem, at least with me in my old age, for an all day hunt.

So is it fair to say that these guns or more purpose driven in terms of their interest -- folks who use them for clays and maybe in a duck blind or on the dove field?

Don't make me too interested, or I may get this affliction, too.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 09-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #35
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,917 Times in 2,384 Posts

Quote:
Would some of you fellas with the 2 frame 20's mind posting the barrel length and unstruck weight ? I am just curious. Thanks !
32-inch, 4 pounds 5 ounce --

56213 11.JPG
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 09-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #36
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,383 Posts

I will throw my two cents in. I think what attracts me to long barrel small bores is that there just aren't that many. I have a 30" 00 frame VHE 28 gauge that is the sweetest little thing ever. I have been looking for a long time for the same gun in a G, or D and they just don't seem to materialize which makes the attraction even greater. Maybe it is the "why do you want what you know you can't have" syndrome??
Unread 09-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #37
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,727 Times in 3,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I will throw my two cents in. I think what attracts me to long barrel small bores is that there just aren't that many. I have a 30" 00 frame VHE 28 gauge that is the sweetest little thing ever.
I shot Daryl's VHE 28 30" at Hausemann's in June . Little thing will roll up some targets at distance if I do my part !
Unread 09-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #38
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
For years and years I was eaten up with 26" IC/M . I never waterfowl hunted at that time all my intrest was dove , quail and grouse . Then not to long after I got in the skeet and trap games . 28" worked great for me on the skeet field and 32 O/U and 34 unsingle for trap were the ticket atleast for me .

Started doing the sporting thing shall we say a little more than casually . 28" gave way to 30" and at present I'm quite happy with 32" on both 10's both 12's hopefully a soon to be in my possesion 16 and maybe down the road a 20 . I'm afraid my 16 hammer will have to be done with a 30" gun and the 28 will most likely never be longer than 26" for me .

But if all eight were 32's with the same stock dimensions I'm sure I could find somnething else I wanted to change
Unread 09-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
A long barreled, small bore gun is a blessing on the prairie where shots can be longer and of the crossing variety...but a heavier gun becomes a problem, at least with me in my old age, for an all day hunt.
I can relate to the weight thing . Quite a few weekends I've shot bunch of targets and over the course of fire one of my better scores would be fired with a little DHE 20 gauge 30" on an 0 frame . Now I'd like to see if it gets any better with another one just like it with a 32" barrel .
Unread 09-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #40
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,626 Times in 1,681 Posts

I wonder if some California duck clubs back in the day had a gauge limit of 20ga. That is the only explanation I have for a 1 or 2 frame 20ga. with long barrels. The customer wanted a 20ga that had the swing characteristics of his 12ga.
I must agree 32" 20ga guns sure look sweet Fox or Parker. Not quite as sweet as a 8ga 36" beauty
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post: