Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #31
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce,
He isn't going to use this GHE for the donor gun is he? Original or not, it's a nice piece.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #32
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travinski View Post
Bruce,
He isn't going to use this GHE for the donor gun is he? Original or not, it's a nice piece.

Chris, no connection. The fellow with extra engraving-itis ( I won't even call it an upgrade because that implies improvement) was after a cheap gun. In my book, nothing wrong and everything right with a nice, clean, well kept, honest V grade.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #33
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great gun one way or another. Too much is made of restoring guns anyway (in my view). Who cares if an old worn out gun is restored.
I express no opinion other then it sure looks nice.

Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #34
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

May I pose an interesting question?

Would, should or could Mr. Lien's unequivocal and forceful public statement of his opinon on this PGCA forum, whether correct, partially correct or not at all correct, have an effect on the value and saleability of that GHE 20 if the gun is on the market on this site, another website, gunshow, by a dealer or individual?

If so, what? What part does perception play in valuation of these guns?

Again, not my gun, I'm not a dealer, just a small collector, rarely sell a gun and I'm likely done acquiring guns. Just raising the issue.

Last edited by Bruce Day; 12-29-2009 at 09:15 AM..
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #35
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

It probably has some effect. For too long there has been a stigma surrounding restoring a gun. The reality is that a restoration may increase the value but there are those who simply think it ruins a gun. I guess sometimes "perception trumps reality".

I at one time owned a Sharps Mod 1874 .40 2 5/8 that had a proven Bill Cody connection. It was actually used on the Czar's hunt. It was worn out after many years of use. Once I proved the connection I sold it for a lot of money (at least a lot back then). It was so worn out that I couldn't shoot it (too much head space) so I sold it. No way would I have restored it. But if it was some old Parker owned by John Doe-all worn out-no finish left-why not restore it? Why should it carry a stigma so long as it is done correctly?
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #36
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,937 Times in 12,567 Posts

Bruce, that is an interesting question and it reinforces the fact that if we ever have a "Parkers For Sale" page on our website it should be limited to the seller's post - in other words, he owns the thread and nobody else can make comments about the gun, either pro or con, thus, eliminating any opinion - expert or otherwise.

Mr. Lien's comments and expression of his opinion certainly serves to raise awareness that we must all be ever watchful of the possibility of upgrades, alterations, refinishes, reconditioned guns and that there are people out there who can sometimes deceive even the most serious collectors . . . so, let's be careful out there gentlemen.

Beyond this . . .

Last edited by Dean Romig; 12-29-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #37
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

From my perspective, the gun sells itself to a willing buyer regardless of whatever lay opinions may swirl around it. If a buyer just wants a nice looking gun - this is a nice looking gun. If a buyer wants a quick turnaround investment - and doesn't want to get burned, then "gun in hand" expert opinions may be sought and relied upon over internet chatter based on looking at a few pictures. As always - caveat emptor.
Regards,
Jack
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #38
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm not sure its a dead horse, Dean. I know there was a public announcement that the board of directors was going to be deliberating again the sale of guns through this website and the effect on Parker collecting. I don't have the answers, but I know this sequence plays into that.

Ray Masciarella: I believe I recall reading about the Cody/Czar Sharps quite a few years ago. It was in the same vein as the Custer Battlefield Springfield sold recently. You have the perspective of an experienced collector. May I urge you to join the PGCA, as your ID does not indicate that you are a member.
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #39
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

Is the Patent date poor stamping or has it been partially ground down or .....???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shoot%20for%20Cure%20029.jpg (43.0 KB, 17 views)
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #40
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

IMHO Mr. Leins comments regarding the "orignality" won't effect the value of this gun or any gun for that matter. It's just his opinion which he is entitled to. I would think that if someone was looking at spending that kind of money on a gun that in all likely hood won't see the field it would be the buyers primary focus to determine origanality.

The only two people who matter in a situation like this is the seller and the buyer. If both are happy then the opinions of the peanut gallery are moot.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote