Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #31
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,343 Times in 3,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chapman View Post
.or maybe that was Ruark??
Ruark was the use enough gun guy
Unread 10-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #32
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
Ruark was the use enough gun guy
Indeed. It was a feinted attempt at "gun-nerd" humor
Scott Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Chapman For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #33
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,974 Times in 1,302 Posts

Kent Cartridge manufactures shells in Kearneysville, WV and as such follows SAAMI standards in reporting velocity as 3 feet from the muzzle.

Gamebore manufactures shells in England, and as such follows CIP standards, which report significantly higher velocity.
Scroll toward the bottom here
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...63546&start=20

One example
Eley VIP Game 32 gram plastic wad #6 shot UK website = 410mtps (1345 fps)
Eley VIP Game 32 gram plastic wad #6 shot SAAMI tested = 1222 fps
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 10-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #34
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Scott, you were looking for comments on using 1 ¼ oz loads at 1325 in a Trojan. You certainly got a lot of comments, pro and con, which is a good thing. You can decide for yourself which way you want to go, maybe based in part on the comments on this forum. I wish you the best with your decision, whatever it is.

I am passionate about using boomer loads in vintage American doubles simply because I have seen and repaired many such guns with cracks behind the tang or the stock head. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I generally attribute this to the heavy loads used over a long period of time. My opinion may be wrong, but I choose not to take chances with an aged gun, as all vintage American doubles are.

There are others that use the traditional heavy loads and take the occasional shot beyond 50 yards. I have no argument with them. We each set our own limits and boundaries. Mine is never to shoot over 50 yards at anything and keep my loads within the bounds I consider appropriate for old guns. To each his own.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #35
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,398 Times in 3,295 Posts

I sometimes hunt with a young man relatively new to hunting. I'm still working on him to appreciate using a classic firearm. When we go duck hunting, he always marvels that my shot to kill ratio is so much better than his. I (generally have to) remind him, "but, I have only two ducks and you have 6." He laments that he is not as good a shot as I. I assure him that I am not (and believe me that's the truth), but I try not shoot beyond my capabilities or those of my guns and loads. I don't have to kill lots of birds to be satisfied, but I do have to do right by the birds, and my guns. A hundred year old gun deserves respect. So do the birds.

I could not agree more with Tom...except, he's obviously a better shot than I ever will be, so my shots are more limited in range. Hey, "a man's gotta know his limitations," and his personal ethics...and what's really important to him.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: